Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

golf mark V and ipod.

Options
  • 28-05-2007 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

thought this would be a better place to post then personal media players forum.

i just recently bought a 80gig ipod and want to use it in my car.

i don't want to use a wireless fm transmitter like the itrip as i hear that interferance plays a big part whilst driving in dublin.

i can't use one of them tape deck thingys as the radio doesn't have one (only cd).

i'd like to connect the ipod through the aux in (think that's the connecter) of the radio, but my problem is i can't get to the back of the radio as it's built into the dashboard.

has anyone got any ideas of how i can overcome this or anywhere that could install a connection for the ipod. i don't want to spend crazy money either and if possible not to have a ipod docking station as i have a car kit already in the car.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

In relation to not being able to access the back of the radio there should be 2 holes on each side of the front panel. These are used to remove the radio from the dashboard in the majority of cases. The "professionals" use a simple device with 2 rods on it that they put into the holes and then they pull the radio out. I think both sides have to be done at the same time though, but someone may correct me on this...

Alpine do a very good head unit that integrates very well with iPods. Ive heard it mentioned on Boards.ie a few times and the guy that fitted my wifes phone kit had one in his van and he said he hasnt taken his iPod out of the glovebox for over a year. Its all controlled from the head unit.

I think Belkin seem to do a huge range of iPod accessories, they might have one that suits your needs. I know the head unit would be an expensive solution but i believe its the business and one of the best iPod systems around at the moment...

Radio Head

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

VW do a direct cable link from the back of the head unit to ipod through the glove box and you can then play your play lists through the head unit.

Any VW dealer should be able to supply and install

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I really want to get one of these kits for my BM, here is the VW version:

DICE iPod integration kit

They allow control of iPod from steering wheel control & display of song name etc. on stereo screen, plus you can stick it in the glove box so no need for a cradle.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

You won't be able to remove the radio in a Mk5 using the traditional radio pins. See here fore more info, but assuming your car doesn't have Climatronic, just pull out the storage tray from the top of the dash and undo the clips.

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/170840.aspx

I have an Ice Link Plus from Dension and it works great, have a look at http://www.autobra.co.uk/shop/product_210.html for more info.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

As far As I know, if you plug your ipod it the Aux it will only come through 2 speakers.

FM Transmitters may not be the best connection, but the sound quality in my car with my Creative Zen Vision M is perfect, and that's with a cheap transmitter.

• Advertisement

I should have mentioned, the IceLink Plus goes into the CD changer port in your car, it's not an FM transmitter so you get better quality sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

right i was in halfords eariler today and they had the dension one there (not sure if it was a icelink or icelink plus).

are halfords any way decent in regards to fitting? would they take the car kit cradle out as i actually don't have that phone anymore and don't use my phone in the car anymore.

these icelink's seem to be the best way to go really, trant did you get your's fitted here or did you do it yourself? i wouldn't feel comfortable doing this.

Hi,

I remember checking out Halfords when sourcing mine, but they only had the FM ones - are you sure it was an Ice Link Plus?

I fitted it myself - there is no wiring needed to fit. You just need to get the radio out and plug in the ISO plug, then run the cable into your glove box / wherever you want it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

trant wrote:
    Hi,

I remember checking out Halfords when sourcing mine, but they only had the FM ones - are you sure it was an Ice Link Plus?

I fitted it myself - there is no wiring needed to fit. You just need to get the radio out and plug in the ISO plug, then run the cable into your glove box / wherever you want it.

Same experience here. Take care with Halfords, they will try to con you -
    they advertise the icelink Plus on their display but then try to give you the FM version. The guy I met tried to deceive me that that was what i wanted. Had I not done a little research beforehand he might have succeeded. I was stunned at his dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

completely off-topic and feel free to not answer cremo but: how do you afford a MKV golf as a 21 year old student?

I see people with some very expensive cars on boards and wonder how they afford them. Granted a Golf is exactly 6 digits but i know very few people who didn't have to borrow just to get through college.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

It mightn't apply, but I just put an aux in in the back of my pioneer head, and it comes through on the sub and tweeters as well as the woofers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

I've just bought one of these (http://stores.ebay.ie/Digi-Connections) on ebay for a Mk V Golf, looks like it does the same thing as the Dension in my BM, which sounds great.
    Ill let you know what the install and sound is like when I'm done. Stay away from Halfords, the amount of integrated Ipod kits I've seen, that are just FM transmitters with the power tapped off the cigarette lighter is a joke, they all sound brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I got the Denison IceLink FM for a Mk5 Golf. By the way, the radio is removed by removing the rubber mat from the top of the dash, then undoing the torx swrews underneath, then unscrewing and clipping off the heater surround, then the radio itself is held in woth 4 more screws. Problem I had was there are 2 aeriel inputs in the back of the stereo, and both seem to work on FM, so it isn't working properly yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

colm_mcm wrote:
    Problem I had was there are 2 aeriel inputs in the back of the stereo, and both seem to work on FM, so it isn't working properly yet....

I've fitted one myself to my own. I don't think you'll be able to get it all working with the bits and bobs that are in the box, you'll probably need to buy an extra little bit of kit - a din to iso connector (4 euro), the iso to din connection it comes with won't be any use - well thats what I found.

It actually fits nicely into the car if you fiddle around with the casing where the ciggie lighter is and remover the inner part the connection sits nicely in there with the lid down when the ipod is not in use. This ensures no cables are visible and makes it a nice neat and safe job.

Advertisement