Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Security Centre Warning

• 28-05-2007 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hello there...

I am running XP Home SP2 with all updates. Also using Windows Live OneCare trial version from Microsoft...

Every time i boot up i get a Windows Security Centre pop up balloon from the system tray saying that my computer is at risk because security software is not switched on...

After a few seconds it disappears and all is well in the land of Head. However im trying to remedy this as its quite annoying.

As far as i can see, the reason for it is that Windows Security Centre is loaded and monitoring things before OneCare finishes loading, hence it thinks that the security software is not switched on. As i said above, the balloon only lasts a few seconds and as soon as OneCare loads the balloon goes away.

I have been using OneCare for ages now and this has only started happening since i reinstalled XP a few weeks ago. Prior to that i had exactly the same setup and it never happened.

It isnt causing any issues with my machine apart from the fact that its annoying me why its happening.

Is there any way to make OneCare load before WSC or some other way of remedying this? If anyone has any thoughts on it i would be glad to read them...

Thanks in advance...

WSC Head

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Go into ControL Panel-->Security Center and on the left of the security center window you'll see the option "Change the way Security Center alerts me". Click on that and untick the 3 options ,or 1 at a time to weed out the culprit.
    That will get rid of the system tray alerts but the downside is if you do have a problem you won't get an alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

When you reinstalled XP was it over the existing install or a clean install where you wiped the HD beforehand ?

This is, believe it or not, normal behaviour for many anti-virus programs. Basically, the Security Centre service starts before the AV services which is what triggers the warning. Once everything's settled it goes away. I remember NAV 2003 and 2004 doing this (after the WSC patch was installed).

If it bugs you then do what kaizersoze mentioned. But it will prevent the Security Centre from reporting genuine problems so make sure there's another way of informing you, such as through the AV's interface directly.

Advertisement