Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Data Recovery/Start up probs

• 28-05-2007 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have a Toshiba Portege101 (100 maybe) and it's kaput. I can turn on the computer, I get to the screen where you choose the windows start up (safe, last known, normal etc) but I can't get into windows.
    Safe option starts going through the drivers but then shuts down.
    Last known config and normal get to the windows xp loading screen but then it just shuts down.
    A pretty similar thing has happened to me before on this laptop... it starts with a temp file not being recorded to the hard drive properly, then there are a few dodgey start-ups, then it asks me to run scan disk, then I get some blue screen action and then it ends up where I am now. I'm not sure if this is a virus I somehow have picked up repeatedly (I run AVG and ad-aware all the time so I wonder how it slipped through the cracks at least twice) or if it's some sort of known hardware problem with this Toshiba. I've looked for the model online but I can only find the odd review/shop, Toshiba no longer seem to have it on their website.

Since this problem occured about a month after a similar crash, there's not much important information on the hd, but there are two folders filled with photos that I'd really like to remove. I don't mind formatting the whole thing again, but I don't have these photos anywhere else so it'd be nice if I could take them off. I think the photos are stored in two folders on the desktop... if I reinstall windows will they be lost? Though if I remember correctly, the last time this happened to me I had to completely reformat :(

Any advice would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Ok, so I've got access to my desktop again so I can get the photos. Laptop has been out of action for a week, dunno why I didn't try the windows cd earlier.
    The safe mode kept getting hung up on Mup.sys . Is this a common problem or is it something dodgey with my Toshiba? As it's happened to me at least 2 (more like 4) times I want to prevent it happening again.

Advertisement