Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs !! !!

Options
  • 28-05-2007 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I'm getting a new RC Nitro Monster Truck from China :p:p Well its gonna be shipping on Saturday by EMS ( An Post basically) and I was wondering , If I put full insurance on it. How much will the ****ers at customs charge me ??:mad: :mad: I have had stuff ship before but I always asked to put 0 value on it so no customs charges . Any help pls.

Thanks,
    Barry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Dont recall exactly, but a figure around 30% comes to mind when you add the bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭barry181091

Shi*t ! I was thinking more on the line of 16 %........ :(:( I dont think I will be adding insurance, EMS better be good.

Barry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Just hope it doesn't go through Port Laoise an post place as they will very likely charge customs ;)

No they wont as long as they see '0 $ ' Declared value on the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

No they wont as long as they see '0 $ ' Declared value on the package.

I wouldnt go on that mind you. :rolleyes:

If they see that it is from an RC supplier they might just open it to see whats inside and put their own value on it.. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

having a big heavy box marked as $0:o Doubt they will get through with out inspection. If it was marked as a gift it's safer.
    Also if something happens during the post of it you can only get $0 back from An Post/other guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Toy parts works well as description (was used for my RC heli, which is technically just a toy).

There also seems to be a threshold of around $125 that they dont tax if its lower, dont take my word for it, just observation.

Yeah I know, I he marks it as '0' then if its lost .... im f't . And ofcource id ask them to mark it as a gift. but tis a puzzler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

I got some "motorcycle parts" yesterday from the US. Was a value of $200, marked gift. Postman just handed it to me..no fee..:D
    Though not all sellers will mark em as gift...:mad:

No, You should really request them to be marked as GIFT , if they are not marked You never know you may get away.

Barry.

• Advertisement

Anyway, The RC i am getting is a Land OVerlord , Basically a cheaper knock off of the LST / LST 2 .

Heres a few pics of the Land Overlord and desciption of it from some Chinese site : http://www.hobby-fans.com/product.asp?id=558

Feedback pls ! (And yes I know its just a copy ;) )

Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

How much will the ****ers at customs charge me ??:mad: :mad:

FYI

The people who work at customs aren't ****ers, they are most prolly just normal people like ourselves doing their jobs. Customs and excise and VAT are internationally recognized surcharges/taxes and are there to level the playing field for everyone. As much as I dislike paying it myself, I always budget for these costs in my overall cost comparison calculations. If I get passed over, smiles all around :D , if not , so be it.

Oh Sorry No !!! I didnt mean that !! , I meant just the Customs laws a a bunch of ***S , Not the workers :D:D , Thats just a job for them... Sorry if I wasnt clear :)

Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

GIFT doesnt work!
    Customs can open any package they like!
    I got stung €90 for a 1/8th buggy from US
    and €30 on a new chassis from US.

Both marked as Gift.
    Oh and customs may also apply a tax on the postage/shipping costs also!
    Bloody country! the cheek.
    Import duty..yes fine..but charging a tax on postage? whats that about!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Vat and customs & excise get charged on the TOTAL INVOICE amount. This is being done so that people don't buy a (say) $100 item for $1 and then pay $119 for postage instead of $20.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

The government's view is that if you dodge paying tax, you are stealing their money! It's the law.

The days of tax free personal mail order importation are dead and gone. Ebay was far too juicy a VAT target to ignore ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Did this arrive yet?

Advertisement