Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did McLaren use Team Orders.....FIA Investigating (WTF!!)

• 28-05-2007 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Did McLaren use Team Orders..... or were they just being smart as to make sure both cars finish and return from Monaco with maximum points.....

I think its just the British media being impatient, when Hamilton wins, he'll win, but there is no point of the media accusing Ron Dennis and Alonso of staging the result.

If the media continue bringing bad press to Alonso and McLaren because of impatience and allegations of choosing 1 driver over another, i wouldnt be surprised if Hamilton found himself in D.Richards Prodrive team next year for a small taste of Humble Pie. Afterall, Santander is a spanish company, they wont like the bad PR the British Media are bringing because of Hamilton.

People like Ron Dennis and Frank Williams don't like that kinda ****... and they've proved it many times in their illustrious careers....

Anyone got any insights into the topic all over the F1 and News websites?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Well technically they did blatantly break the rules and Ron Dennis bragged about it lots after the race.

The problem is that the rules are ridiculous, and any real F1 fan knows it. It's a team sport and always has been since the days of Fangio. But then Austria 2002 happened where Ferrari did absolutely nothing wrong, but due to bad press the FIA took a knee jerk reaction and implemented an unpractical rule banning team orders.

Since then they've quietly ignored the rule and allowed teams to continue to use team orders since it's only sensible. But now, like in 2002, there's been a race that's unpoular with the media and the FIA are compelled to do something, especially now that team orders are actually against the rules, unlike in 02.

I'd imagine it'll result in a fine or something along those lines. There's simply no denying that McLaren broke the rules and the FIA can't turn a blind eye now that it's in the spotlight, but to dock them any points would make a mockery of the championship so I think it'll probably be a fine and a slap on the wrist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

The ironic thing is, if Jean Todt said that Ron Dennis would be the first one complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

But that strategy happens with every team at every race since 2002... Ferrari, Honda, Super Aguri, Bmw, Williams, etc..... just because it might not be for a championship point etc it goes unnoticed, just because the McLaren of Alonso wins, there's a problem!!.

I'd like to know who complained to the FIA over it as I think they only investigate if a complaint has been made by another Team Principal. The only Team Principal that stand to fgain anything would be Jean Todt.. revenge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Be great if they disqualified Alonso & Hamo.... I had money on Kubica to hit podium :D

Cycling is another 'team' sport where there are orders or an 'understanding' one person will win. Don't see anybody complaining there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

steviec wrote:
    ...It's a team sport and always has been since the days of Fangio....

1933 Tripoli GP :D

http://www.kolumbus.fi/leif.snellman/gp3305.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

trendkill wrote:

I'd like to know who complained to the FIA over it as I think they only investigate if a complaint has been made by another Team Principal. The only Team Principal that stand to fgain anything would be Jean Todt.. revenge!

From what I hear it's basically come from lots of stories coming out in the British media laying into the sport after their golden boy didn't win in Monaco, and lots of conspiracy theories about McLaren not giving him a chance, which were essentially backed up by Ron Dennis and Lewis Hamilton's own interviews after the race. Combine this with Ron saying how they favoured Alonso with strategy in Australia to let him get ahead of Lewis there, and lots of theories that they'd told Lewis to hold everyone up while Alonso pulled away from the field in Malaysia, and the British media are having a field day. So now the FIA see it as bringing the sport into disrepute.

I find it hard to believe any other team principal would have brought it up because it would be opening a huge can of worms since every team does it, it's just that the number 2 driver normally isn't the championship leader and media darling.

Essentially, McLaren broke a rule that everyone breaks, but the media have put a huge spotlight on it, and now the FIA feel compelled to act. I expect to see a fine and hopefully they'll have enough sense to make an ammendment to the rules to avoid it happening again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

steviec wrote:
    From what I hear it's basically come from lots of stories coming out in the British media laying into the sport after their golden boy didn't win in Monaco...

I agree, if the 1, 2 had been reversed then I reckon there would have been a lot less about it if anything, Ron Dennis did what any team boss would have done. If the Lewis had gone for the win then a good chance 1 or both would end up in the barrier. I think everyone knows he's a good pilot and his chance will come.

DannyBuoy wrote:
    If the Lewis had gone for the win then a good chance 1 or both would end up in the barrier. .
    For overtaking 1 guy?? Didn't Schumacher win the 97 Monaco GP from close to the back, in the rain? The point is it can be done.

For overtaking 1 guy?? Didn't Schumacher win the 97 Monaco GP from close to the back, in the rain? The point is it can be done.

Yea, ur right, is difficult but it can be done, no question but would a team boss throw away a certain 1,2 finish? Take the best case scenario and worst case scenario...

Best case Lewis passes Alonso and they finish 1,2 same as they did.

Worst case they touch when passing, both go out, no points for the team or either driver.

I'm not a Merc fan but I would suggest where you have both your team members in the 1, 2 places and nobody within an ass's roar of them, well then, a bird in the hand etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

And this is the same Ron Dennis who giving out bollix when Rubens pulled over for Schumi :rolleyes:

It's this type of pathetic crap that has finally put me off watching F1. Race fixing cannot be tolerated under any circumstances. Real motor racing fans want to see drivings going all out to win races and overtake instead of crawling behind their teamate been afraid to hit a barrier. I don't want to watch processional races and I can't believe so many people accept these team tactics. If the FIA have an ounce of integrity the will deduct McLaren the 18 constructors points they won on Sunday and fine their asses so hard this nonsense wont happen again. F1 needs racing and the FIA has to promote this by coming down hard on anti-competition teams like McLaren.

• Advertisement

Anybody know when the verdict on this is due?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

And this is the same Ron Dennis who giving out bollix when Rubens pulled over for Schumi :rolleyes:

It's this type of pathetic crap that has finally put me off watching F1. Race fixing cannot be tolerated under any circumstances. Real motor racing fans want to see drivings going all out to win races and overtake instead of crawling behind their teamate been afraid to hit a barrier. I don't want to watch processional races and I can't believe so many people accept these team tactics. If the FIA have an ounce of integrity the will deduct McLaren the 18 constructors points they won on Sunday and fine their asses so hard this nonsense wont happen again. F1 needs racing and the FIA has to promote this by coming down hard on anti-competition teams like McLaren.
    Thats just not going to happen. It would be grossly hypocritical on the FIA's part especially since its just a reaction to winning British press.
    The orders were there for sure but if Hamilton was going to win he needed to qualify a head of his team mate and he knew it from the start
    If you ask me Hamilton has yet to prove anything in F1. He's been consistent fair enough but thats about it. He has the bast car on the grid so you would expect him to be on the podium week in week out. He has yet to show he has the pace to win a race. He is not the next Schumacher and he has to do anything that convinces me he can win a world title .

"...FIA...has confirmed that the team’s actions were entirely legitimate."

www.f1-live.com

Not surprised, it was common sense really. Now bring on the races where the venue is actually a race, not just a show case in the front garden of the rich and famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

If you ask me Hamilton has yet to prove anything in F1. He's been consistent fair enough but thats about it. He has the bast car on the grid so you would expect him to be on the podium week in week out. He has yet to show he has the pace to win a race. He is not the next Schumacher and he has to do anything that convinces me he can win a world title .

Schumachers first six race results were DNF, 5th, 6th, 6th, DNF, DNF. I know the car wasnt spectacular but surely what Hamilton has achieved so far is just as impressive as that?

Lewis Hamilton is holding his own against a two time WDC(who beat schumacher last year) and Massa who gave schumacher a good run for his money last year. No matter what car he has he has raced impressively so far.

Give him a break ffs, he's only raced five races:rolleyes:

Advertisement