Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's wrong with my car?

Options
  • 28-05-2007 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Bought a car recently, kept my old one as a runaround. Had not driven it for two months until yesterday.

The car had been driving fine. However, when it started yesterday there was a screeching sound. Turned out that the back tyre is not moving, skids along. When you try to go forward or reverse, the body of the car contracts up and down from the wheel.

Am ignorant of cars. Any ideas? Big or small job to fix?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 cruzzo

Sounds like the brakes have locked. Had you the parking brake on for the whole time? Should have just left it in gear if parked up for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

WD-40 and a Hammer should sort it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 longbrian1

cruzzo wrote:
    Sounds like the brakes have locked. Had you the parking brake on for the whole time? Should have just left it in gear if parked up for a while.

You mean the handbrake? Yes, it would have been up during that period but doesn't everyone have their handbrake up when car not in use? (not that it was actually needed, as car is parked on flat driveway, but I just automatically pull it up when leaving the car)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not when you're leaving the car parked up for a long period. The handbrake will get stuck. If its only been a couple of weeks it'll normally squeak a bit and loosen up when you move the car. After 2 months though... :eek:

Stephen wrote:
    Not when you're leaving the car parked up for a long period. The handbrake will get stuck. If its only been a couple of weeks it'll normally squeak a bit and loosen up when you move the car. After 2 months though... :eek:

So what now? Much work needed? Don't want to put much money into it as car is v. old (1992). Could someone half handy with cars rectify it or would I have to get onto garage? (would prefer not to call them as live in countryside and would probably attract hefty call out charge,etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Start by gently 'rocking' the car. Attempt to pull away in 1st gear - stop - then put it into reverse and attempt to pull away. Repeat this a few times - it just might free it up.

If that doesn't work take the wheel off. Once the wheel is removed you will see the brake drum. Start tapping the drum with a hammer. Tap harder if the first taps do no good - just don't bate the sh1t out of it. Obviously you should do this with the handbrake off and the car in gear - better still chock the front wheels. You'll probably need something better than the car jack as the constant banging might dislodge the car - an axle stand would be a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Exactly what Crosstownk said. I had the same problem with a 206 belong to a friend recently. I managed to rock the car by going forward and back a good few times and it released eventually although the wheel did skid quite a bit. Hitting the drum will also work but dont be too afraid to give it a good smack, just tapping it wont do anything, just dont take a sledge hammer to it! when you do get it released give the car a good drive to clean up the brakes so it wont happen again. May also be advisable to clean the rear brakes by removing the drums. Also as others have said, it may be advisable to leave the car in gear instead of using the handbrake if it is going to be parked for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

is it a renault by any chance?!:)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's common to all cars land9.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It's common to all cars land9.

Correct. Cars with drum brakes are much more susceptible to seizing than their disc braked counterparts. Sometimes the shoe siezes to the drum, othertimes the mechanism - especially the wedge type - siezes. A siezed mechanism is harder to free than a shoe that is siezed to the drum. I remember, years ago, having to beat a drum off the shoe - and all because I went on holidays for 3 weeks :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

usually if you accelerate off, the wheel should come free - I've only ever seen renault' give this trouble (and admitedly, an almera)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nissan, Renault, what's the difference? :D

Thanks for all the info guys, much appreciated (it's a Peugeot 106, BTW).

Advertisement