Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux +

Options
  • 28-05-2007 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Im considering doing the Linux + exam. It would definitely further what I learned in college, even so Im wondering if I could do it as exam only.

How did people find it?

tia

Jumpa

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Definately one of, if not the easiest CompTIA exams. Did it last year after a week of studying which consisted of reading the exam objectives and a Suse 10.1 Bible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ok, so is it actually worth the bother?

Can I ask where you booked your exam and how much it cost.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

TBH, I doubt you're gonna learn much from it if you already know how to use linux properly.

I booked it in New Horizons in Dublin though Prometric.com and it cost €241.

I'm actually looking for another Linux cert to do at the moment. I'm thinking about the LPI ones but I'm not sure what sort of industry recognition they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

It's on my to do list :p , but it might be worth checking out the LPI cerfiication. There are 3 levels, with 2 exams per level to gain certification.

LPI Certification

There are a number of big names behind, or at least paying atention to it:

From their mailing list:

The IBM developerWorks tutorials for LPIC-1 and LPIC-2 are available free to anyone with a browser. Registration (at no cost) is required. Once you're in a tutorial you can save the PDF version (A4 or US Letter sizes available) if you wish.

Free IBM Training Manuals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

I did my first part last week LPI 171-101 (can be tricky)
    booking for follow up test next week.

It reports that Linux+ is a more introductory cert. (6 months work experience)
    Where LPI 1 (2 years exp..) LPI-2 (4 years exp..)

Im not sure i'd pay the money to get a linux+ cert after getting LPI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

tck wrote:
    I did my first part last week LPI 171-101 (can be tricky)
    booking for follow up test next week.

It reports that Linux+ is a more introductory cert. (6 months work experience)
    Where LPI 1 (2 years exp..) LPI-2 (4 years exp..)

Im not sure i'd pay the money to get a linux+ cert after getting LPI.
    Agreed... I did LPI 101 a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot trickier than I had expected. I bought the 'in a nutshell' book and read through all of the 101 section. I thought it was all easy enough, and was expecting 100% in the sections that I knew everything about, but a lot of the questions refer to the exact syntax of commands, so it is worth doing some proper study for a few days even if you have 2+ years experience.

By the end of the first section (about shared libraries and stuff) I was starting to consider the possibility that I would fail, but from then on it got much better. Made me decide not to book 102 for the following week though - I'm going to study it a bit first.

I agree about the Linux+ - once you've got the LPI Level 1, I can't see how much actual benefit you could gain from Linux+. I don't know about how each is recognised by the employers, but the LPI exam is good for learning the material - I wish I had done it a year ago, because it showed me a lot of basic stuff that I never knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Where did you sit the exam? Have you got a URL of the place you booked it through?

Advertisement