Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are Hijabs the colour Black?

• 28-05-2007 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi

I am wondering why when you see women in the middle east they wear full black hijabs, I would like to know why is it always the colour black, surely wearing full black in a desert climate isn't sensible since it retains the heat, Is there an islamic reason for it or is it just culture? This is a serious question that I have always wondered at, I have searched but couldn't find anything

Any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

stackeye wrote:
    Hi

I am wondering why when you see women in the middle east they wear full black hijabs, I would like to know why is it always the colour black, surely wearing full black in a desert climate isn't sensible since it retains the heat, Is there an islamic reason for it or is it just culture? This is a serious question that I have always wondered at, I have searched but couldn't find anything

Any help would be appreciated

There not always black as far as I know. My grand mother sometimes wears a white one sometimes. I think your talking about a particular style of Hijab, called an Abaya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've seen girls wearing creamish colour hijabs around where I live.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

I know there are other types, Im not sure the name of the dress time but it seems to be one outfit that covers all but the face and hands, I think that is the hijab or nijab, I also know the burka in afghanistan is blue, but in Iran it seems to be black, the president came out recently against western dress and said women should wear islamic dress and preferably black, still am not sure why the black,

stackeye wrote:
    I know there are other types, Im not sure the name of the dress time but it seems to be one outfit that covers all but the face and hands, I think that is the hijab or nijab, I also know the burka in afghanistan is blue, but in Iran it seems to be black, the president came out recently against western dress and said women should wear islamic dress and preferably black, still am not sure why the black,

I think thats called a Chador. As for Iran, well Adminijaed is a fundamentalist, and when Irans Islamic revolution first happened a lot of Women put on the Chador as a show of defiance against the Shah's brutal regime. Of course at the time it was there own choice, not so much anymore. Nowadays the Women are more educated (one of the thing about Iran is that both Men and Women are educated very well, in fact the Women are better educated than a lot of the Men) and with this they started to wear more Western style clothing and adapted the Hijab to it. Of course the Adminijaed being a fundamentalist shows this as people losing faith in the revolution and thus they are trying to get rid of Western style clothing, I even heard some Men were taken to task in this as well (to much lesser degree than the Women). Also Iran economy is going down the tubes due to the idiocy of the current leadership and this is another way to consolidate power. The current situation in Iran is very much political and they have in recent time been laxish about what they call "proper Hijab".

I think the black is a cultural thing as well as a reminder to the heady days when the Islamic revolution had popular support from the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭blackthorn

stackeye wrote:
    I would like to know why is it always the colour black, .... Is there an islamic reason for it or is it just culture?

The black abayas are common in the gulf countries, esp Saudi Arabia. That is their tradition. Black is not mandated Islamically, though historically there is some mention of the colour black in connection with the clothing of Muslim women at the time of the Prophet (peace be upon him). That is not surprising, since black was the colour most easily available to the people of the time. So yes, it's part of the culture in that very conservative type of society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

stackeye wrote:

Niqab is the name for the full veil. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niqab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Good analysis there Wes about the tie to the revolution and all.

But can we please avoid using the word fundamentalist when we're describing certain individuals who are a bit on the crazy side as the true definition of the word fundamentalist is simply someone who is holding tightly to the fundamentals of their belief system. When people like Osama bin Laden are described as fundamentalists, people think that they are following Islam as it's meant to be followed and any Muslim who isn't blood thirsty like Osama isn't a true Muslim which of course isn't the case.
    Jakkass wrote:
    Niqab is the name for the full veil.
    Face veil that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

well,
    hijab is not a fasion or related to culture, but its for woman to cover themself so some stranger can not see them, in white colour you might able to see woman face but in black no matter how thin it is you can not see their faces. (correct me if i m worng).

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭stackeye

wasim21k

That makes alot of sense, I have never seen men in the middle east wear black it seems to be only women, it mustn't be very pleasant to wear black in the hot climates,

wasim21k wrote:
    well,
    hijab is not a fasion or related to culture, but its for woman to cover themself so some stranger can not see them, in white colour you might able to see woman face but in black no matter how thin it is you can not see their faces. (correct me if i m worng).

It doesn't have to be black. Other colors do the job properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

wes:
    i know black colour in hot weather to for reference:
    yesterday weather in Pakistan was at 55C he was shocked and said i'll die if i m living there.
    and about Hijab with back colour might not be very nice.
    same thing if you are driving in 55c from Cork to Dublin and your air-conditioner is not working its not mean that you have to drive fast or don't drive. (we have to follow the law).

(i m feeling i m still unable to say what i wanted but it would be but i think some woman would be able to answer this question, i'll ask some one back in home and ask their opinion about this and pass on here)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Medina

stackeye wrote:
    it mustn't be very pleasant to wear black in the hot climates,

Almost every day during this fine summery Irish weather someone inevitably asks me 'Are you not hot in that?' :D:D:D

There was a case of girl who was asked this in America, she replied 'The fire of hell is hotter'

Go Girl !!! :D

I usually respond a bit less enthusiastically by saying 'No actually the fabric is very light and its like wearing a ring or a pair of earrings..you forget you even have it on'

Advertisement