Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

fooking car

Options
  • 28-05-2007 6:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

hi as you can probally gather from title im p****d off with my 99 astra will keep this short and to the point any help would be appreciated,
    car broke down on misses on fri, she said it just cut out started again after a few mins and drove a bit then cut out again, so got towed home, i had a look out of curosity and found a broken pipe which was coming from air filter above carburator to engine, so ordered a new one and got it today, replaced it and i noticed some dirt around carburator wiped it with a cloth but it still cuts out not as often but still pain in the neck, ok question is can someone advise me on what to do to clean it is there something i can get and do i have to take half the engine apart to do it cause it looks that way from my little experienced eyes, cant seem to find a site which gives me an idea mind you im machine friendly today, there all out to break my balls,

any help appreciated thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I doubt very much that a 99 astra has a carburettor.

If it's very dirty you might try changing the air filter, and cleaning the air filter housing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭sideshowdave

yeah it dosnt look like a carburator i just assumed it was i tried cleaning the air filter its not very old and i took off the whole air filter pipe thing and cleaned that too still no joy, if it does not have a carburator what does it have instead?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

fuel injection!

hhmm didnt think it was fuel injected its only a 1.4? well if it is feul injected! is there a way to clean the injectors?
    cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

cleaning the injectors, you have to remove the rail. normally held on by two bolts. But it think your problem could be with your spark plugs and leads. When were they last changed??? Also, how old is the battery???

• Advertisement

for some reason i doubt it electrical not that i know a awful lot but battery about eight months old plugs done about a year ago leads too, still not sure if there is injectors im searching for more info and im coming up with a throttle body! not got a clue,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

lad, it is efi (electric fuel injection)!!!! All new cars are these days!!!!! I would start with the simple things like looking at spark plugs and leads. If the car is running but stalling the odd time then it is something small and fixable on the cheap. If your spark plugs were not changed in a year then thats were i would be looking first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

If its cutting out when slowing down like coming up to traffic lights, remove the pipe from the airbox going to the throttle body. The throttle body will probably be manky. Get a can of carb spray and spray it into the throttle body and open the butterfly flap and clean with a rag and spray. You will be able to open the flap by pulling the accelerator cable. I'm pretty sure being a 99 it will have one, the newer ones have an electronic throttle body, if it has get someone to turn the ignition on and hold their foot on the accelerator to hold it open.

If this does not cure the problem or if it is cutting out while driving post up more info, engine management light coming on etc???

EDIT also the astra does not have plug leads, it has a coil pack. These do give trouble on astras but generally they will not cause the car to cut out, just misfire badly, although it may be an x14xe engine which will not bring the engine management light on for this as it only has one o2 sensor. the newer z14xe engine has 2 and will bring the management light on. Also the plugs should usually be changed every 20,000 miles or 2 years although sometimes before then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

i had something similiar years ago on my megan - thought it was coils , air filter , fuel pump ,fuel filter.

turns out it was a dodgy sensor telling the car to cut out cause it thought it had crashed !!! (think it was called a knock sensor, thats what the guy in the garage told me , but he could have been lying)

go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

nearly every car has been fuel injected sincwe the late eighties, if ur not an expert dont mess with ur car- bring it to a professional- a little knowledge is dangerous!- p.s. ur spark plugs do not have to be changed every year the mileage interval ranges from 26-40 k miles between changes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

All Astras have been fuel injected since MY92. Your car will have Mono Point fuel injection, principally its like an electronic carburettor where injectors take the place of carb jets and everything is metered and more accurate.

I would second what Lucifer says, this is something that Opel dealer do as part of a service now due to the problems of gunge in this area. Also if it is curring out at idle then the idle step motor will need to be removed and cleaned up.

Good luck !

cheers folks for all the replies, i have just done what lucifer suggested, managed to take out the throttle body and give it a good clean it was totally manky! and its been running for the last forty mins in the garden no problem, hopefully thats the problem sloved if not its down to the garage with it.

cheers again

Advertisement