Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XFX 6600gt's, LOUD fans

Options
  • 28-05-2007 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I have 2 XFX 6600gt's on SLI, These cards are EXTREMELY LOUD so much so that i can hear them even while i am vacuuming. It is getting extremely annoying at this stage and am looking for a quieter solution. I also have a AMD 3500+ which has a 1kg copper Heatsink with 1 fan(option of 2), their is also a case fan, Both these fans are loud but are being replaced with Akasa Ultra Quiet AK-182-L2B. There is also 2 fans that came with my case but these are fairly quiet.
    Please say someone has a different cooling solution to my graphics cards. there is no longer a warranty so i do not mind replacing the fans.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭Cassiel

Are they loud all the time? They should normally operate at a reduced speed when there is no 3D work to do and increase to hurricane force when gaming. Check your settings in the driver console panel.

Zalman vf700 or vf900's can be tuned to run slow and quiet, but they are pricey compared to the 6600gt's value.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

Dear god dont even talk to me about when im gaming, I have a 400w sterio as my speaker system and i can still just hear the fans when playing doom or cs:s
    The fans have always been like this, and i know the termal compound is badly put on on one of them as it is always 10*c higher even if i switch the 2 cards around. I want an alternative soon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

1kg copper Heatsink :eek:

Ya i love it, i bought it in pcworld, dropped my cpu temp by 20* when idle lol, and thats when the fan is on low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I have 2 pny 6600gt's that are for sale ;)

• Advertisement

unless you want to switch the answer is no lol.
    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=373501 seems like a good product, im going to measure the space between the 2 cards in a bit. but i dont think it will be big enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sure yeah. but are you in the us? If not welcome to import tax and huge delivery fees. And for the same price as 2 of them thats what im selling mine for.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

how about this
    those zalman VF 900's are supposed to be great though.
    I feel you're pain i changed my 6600gt to a gainward one a while back just because of the noise they produce, i can't even imagine the hurricane two of them make

its not twice as loud as having 2, its like 3 times cos one card is right u close to the other creating very little space and more noise!

Advertisement