Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Computer Engineering?

• 28-05-2007 8:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

hey, I'm going into 6th year in September and as such I'm really trying to decide what college course to do, Up until recently I had always planned on doing computer science in UCC because I have always had an interest in computers.. always fixing friends computers/giving advice on hardware or anything/removing crapware,self-building, you know the story, and well I thought that computer science would cover my interests well, however I can honestly see myself getting 2 years into the course and getting sick of programming, I can't really program much right now except for some html but tbh I don't have much of an interest in it, I spend most of my time on the computer but these days its mostly just browsing the net or reading tech blogs or similar, I don't spend any time coding as such.

Now I have also always had an interest in electricity and electronic gadgets,wiring,av,telecommunications etc, for example I maintain all the tv,phone,new lights etc wiring in my house, I wired up a vintage tractor for my dad following a diagram (when he wouldn't have a clue), I find it easy to understand electricity and all this I have just picked up myself, I have never done a course in anything related to electricity, Also Im not afraid to take things apart and look at the internals ( I always put it back together of course ;) )

So anyway I was pretty indecisive so I went to a man down here in Cork known to be very good at career guidance, I explained my situation etc and he recommended I do Computer Engineering in UL as it really ties my interests together and keeps my options open, and I agree, It does seem to do just that, it just seemed like such a daunting thing to leave home and go to limerick to study, tbh I haven't really spent much time away from home and Im not sure how I would get on, for that reason I started drifting again towards UCC and computer science.. but again I fear I may quickly lose interest in that, the alternative of course is to do Electric and Electronic Engineering in UCC but then that is kind of tying myself to that area where computer engineering seems to keep my options open to go either way

So anyway, rant over,

Can anyone give me any advice about this? Im really finding it hard to decide on a course, I know that I still have about 10 months or something when I can submit and edit my cao application but Id really like to know sooner rather than later what Im going to put down when cao times comes.

Thanks for any help guys :)

Also - Mods, if you feel I would get a better response elsewhere please put this in the most appropriate place, thanks :)

Aidan,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

I'm from Cork doing Computer Systems in UL and I would recommend doing Computer Engineering up here. It's not as prestigious or difficult as my course, but then nothing is. We have a great campus and Limericks not so bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

uhm i know this will sound incredibly rude but im shattered and havent time to answer this properly now.. however... I studied computer science in UCC and taught some modules for Comp Eng in UL. More than happy to chat to you about it all, just now right this minute. :(

feel free to PM me or add my msn if you would like

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Kudos wrote:
    It's not as prestigious or difficult as my course, but then nothing is. We have a great campus and Limericks not so bad either.

Damn straight! Nothing gets respect like a Comp Sys degree! :p

Anyway from your interests, I'd say Comp Eng is a perfect fit.

Also as Kudos said, the campus is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Thanks for the replies guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Comp Engie here.

I was the exact same as yourself at your age - great at PC repair, messing around with anything electronic (pulled off a few electric shock tricks in school using a broken disposable camera) and had never programmed anything beyond basic HTML too, and I too was advised to do Computer Engineering.

It is a great course, but I must warn you; I found the first 2 years extremely boring. The course itself is designed so that no prior knowledge of PCs is necessary. Any of your experience to date will not ever be used. The programming gets boring too, as it moves along at a much slower pace than courses like Computer Systems, and most of the first 2 years is electronic and electric specific. The electronic aspect is nothing like what you would have done - it is all theory based and doesn't become in any way practical until 3rd or 4th year.

A good example of the electronics is LC physics - assuming you are doing this subject (it helps a lot), look at the section about truth table logic gates, diodes and transistors for a short example of what you will be expanding on. Also, you better be good at maths. Higher maths is an entry requirement for a reason, as long derivations are an integral part of the course (and any other engineering course TBH).

On the positive side - this course is tied with Electronic Engineering, and for the first 1.5 years, you will all be sharing the same modules, and have the option of switching between the two, depending on what interests you (I initially started as electronic myself). Also, the range of career opportunities is amazing.

Overall, it is a great course, but personally I would have chosen a different course if I had properly known what the course was like, as I do prefer the programming side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭Kudos

I was going to let it slide the first time it was said. HTML is not a programming language, otherwise they would've called it HTPL. Knowing just a bit of HTML means you can't program at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

@LordChessington - Thank you,that was a very helpful reply
    I still havent made up my mind Im just trying to explore my options

@kudos - yes I know its not a programming language, but I just didnt see the point in writing I know a little markup language or something smiliar tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Ohhh, I should restrain myself from having the whole Comp Sys Vs. Comp Eng debate here! :D

I graduated from Comp Eng. in 2005 with a 1.1. Good course, maybe would have liked more programming but that's probably because I swung more toward software than hardware as the course progresses. A very good thing is that you can swop between Comp Eng and Elec Eng and vice-versa during the first two years. Maybe a rundown of some of the more interesting module would be good:

Computer Software module - starts with Pascal as a trainer, then C and C++. I think they should scrap Pascal and go C, C++, Java.

Digital Signal Processing module - Interesting especially if you are into audio as this field is the backbone of all digital audio.

Software Engineering - Deals with the principles of good software design, large scale software project management.

Digital Systems module - starts off with logic gates, goes to 8051 based microcontrollers, assembly coding (sorts the men from the boys, try that Comp Sys ;) ), VHDL (Very high speed Hardware Description Language) allowing people to 'code' hardware circuits into FPGA chips etc. and also some video hardware.

Eng Maths modules - fairly tough maths modules, highly standard than LC Higher Level Maths.

Language Processors - Essentially how to design and create compilers. Tough but extremely interesting.

Comp Architecture - About the logical layout of CPU's and how different design can affect the speed of the CPU and how it calculates.

Distributed Systems - How to design software to be used across a network etc.

Real-time Systems - How to design reliable real-time software and the techniques that are normally used e.g. aircraft software, software running on a cars ECU.

All in all a good course, maybe should scrap the Pascal as the first language taught, start with C instead and introduce Java in later semesters. I got a job before I finished my final exams as a Software Engineer so jobs wise it's good too, especially if you get good grades. Feel free to PM me for more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Digital Systems module - starts off with logic gates,

For which we had Phil Samways. It's worth doing the course to have him lecture you. j/k, but honestly, great man!

I started in Comp Eng. Didn't particularly like it/failed it, took time off from college, now going into 4th year business. Go for it. On top of getting a great qualification (and it is) from the course, UL is by far the nicest campus in Ireland. I don't know anybody who's spent more than a week here and disagreed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ok ill start out by saying that I know nothing about any of those coarses :D All I want to say is that you were considering not coming to Limerick because you would have to move away from home. Dont let that put you off. You'll love it up here I know plenty of people from all over the country (and some nervous about moving away from home) they all love it. Its a great campus and area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I also did Comp Eng in UL
    Its a tough course, I found the maths particularly tough - and I had an A in Higher LC maths.
    Super Sonic's post basically outlines the main subjects of the course - and I agree Pascal should be scrapped - but Richie Conway said it does give you the very basics of programming
    You don't necessarily need LC Physics - there were a few in my class without it) who got on pretty well but it would be an advantage.
    Its not an easy course by any shot - but well worth the hard slog!
    And the University itself is a fab place!

(and its great to see the rivalry between Comp Sys and Comp Eng is still there :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For which we had Phil Samways. It's worth doing the course to have him lecture you. j/k, but honestly, great man!
    Never a truer word said. Even though he only teaches the electronics-based modules, I found he is great at it and really loves his work. And you will never, NEVER, never meet someone who can make so many comparisons between electronics and dancing!

Advertisement