Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Olympus Studio

• 28-05-2007 8:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

I have just purchase an Olympus E400. I am unsure about editing software. Obviously Photoshop seems to be the preferred package, but Olympus offer Studio and also an update for Olympus Master for €20.
    My question is: are these Olympus options worth purchasing or am I better looking to Photoshop? Cost is an issue but i don't want to waste money on a package which doesn't give good results.
    Any opinions/advice would be gratefully received.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

get the GIMP (gimp.org)
    Its free and has many of the benefits of photoshop.
    If you'd like to try photoshop download a 30 day free trial from adobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭nilhg

When I got my E500 I was delighted with the camera but thought that the software was the worst I had ever used, slow, clunky, unintuitive and a horrible experience to use. I have nit even installed it on my new PC, and the only thing which would persuade me to do would be a need to update the firmware on the camera. I would suggest you start off with picasa and see how you go from there.
    If you do go for photoshop (or elements) there is a free raw converter plugin for it on the Oly website.

Thats the problem with bundled software isn't it? Its usually a complete nightmare. Picasa is a good start alright, especially of keeping all those photos organised and easily tweaked. Once you get into understanding how a digital image works (histograms, colour channels bit depth bla bla bla, it won't be long!) then you should start considering photoshop or the gimp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mcyclist

Thanks for all the help. i have taken your advice and downloaded Picasa. I have had a look at 'gimp' but am unsure if it supports RAW files from Olympus.( I'm new to this and not really sure what the benifits of using RAW files yet but I would like the ability later).
    All I need now is some time!.
    By the way, I purchased the Olympus with the 17.5-45 lens which I am now assured is rubbish, but to my eye takes fine photos. No doubt at some stage I will outgrow it, but at the moment the Camera is far better than i am at this photgraphy!

Thanks again for help.

JPEGs are like mp3s, RAW files are like the original recordings from the studio.
    Uncompressed data from the camera sensor where many parts of the image are not yet set in stone (white balance for example).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭jennyrusks

Hi Mcyclist

I have an Olympus E300 and I got the Olympus software you mentioned. Apart from my initial curiosity, I never, ever use it. The software really isn't that user friendly. I work with Photoshop all the time.

Even if the GIMP doesn't support Olymus Raw, you could probably use the free Olympus software just to get the RAW files off the camera, then save the file as a lossless format such as TIFF (downside of TIFFs is that the filesize is massive but upside is there is no loss of quality) and then edit your TIFF in the GIMP.

I'm sure you're 17.5 lens isn't rubbish either. And as you say, at this stage it's all about experimentation so enjoy using it.

All the best
    Jennifer

Advertisement