Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ivy on trees?

Options
  • 28-05-2007 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

A friend recently terrified me when he told me the ivy on the very tall mature trees at the back of my house would eventually kill them. Result tree smashing through roof when it falls over..... :eek:

Anyone know anything about this?. I've checked it out the number of trees and bushes and so on mean its a big job to cut it all at the base.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Ivy will not kill the tree. What it can do is make the tree top heavy and more vulnerable to wind. Cut the ivy stems all around the trunk of the tree and leave it to die off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

bmaxi wrote:
    Ivy will not kill the tree. What it can do is make the tree top heavy and more vulnerable to wind. Cut the ivy stems all around the trunk of the tree and leave it to die off.

I have a similar situation but it looks so beautifull I've never had the courage to destroy it ..... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd cut it at the base of the trunk straight away, then pull it off when it dies

Info:
    Once established on a tree, ivy offers a home for many insects and nesting places for many birds. However, it can also be the cause of many problems and may even lead to the total demise of the tree. Ivy is an evergreen, producing leaves all year round. Once located around the trunk of a tree, its leaves prevent any light from reaching the tree bark and thus prevents activation of any dormant buds. This does not necessarily represent a problem and in some cases may even be desirable. It does however become a problem when ivy grows into the trees crown and prevents the development of new and existing buds. Buds produce leaves and leaves produce food for the tree through the process of photosynthesis; without adequate supplies of food the tree starts to suffer. Ivy can not harm the tree directly and the idea that it can 'strangle or suffocate a tree to death' is unfounded. However, once it reaches the crown of the tree, ivy can cause problems by way of additional weight and an increased wind sail area which can result in branch loss. Ivy growth around the tree trunk can produce a localised humid microclimate which wood decay organisms enjoy; such a climate may increase the rate of decay on already damaged areas. Tree Inspection becomes difficult with possible hazards being hidden from view and for these reasons it is normally recommended that the ivy be killed and removed and the tree be inspected again.

From here

Advertisement