Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 usb Modem any way to make it wireless to place it a high location

• 28-05-2007 8:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Basically I get a weak signal 1 bar and this is in the bedroom so currently I have the laptop plugged into it and have it place on the window sill. I am running ccproxy which lets me access the web from my other machines (wireless network()onto it. Problem is the laptop is mainly used for the web. So no one can move it now.

Now I have 2 options buy a old desktop/laptop and run this as a proxy or buy one of these new usb wireless hubs

Am i missing any other option?
    \What would you guys suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

If you can exchange it for the Huawei E630 PC card, you can pop the PC card into a Linksys 3G router (model number WRT54GL). You're looking at spending 150 euros, though, but it will let you place it anywhere in the house, like the attic. ;) It looks just like a DSL router, but with a PC card slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

I'm in a similar position, can only get a decent signal in the kitchen, was wondering has anyone tried using usb repeater cables to connect the modem to.

Getting decent speeds about 1.5 when the signal is good but it needs to be in one particular spot if i move it at all speeds drop to 300kbps or less, sometimes completely disconnecting.

Does height make much of a difference to reception?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

I've run the Vodafone USB modem on over 8m of cable without problems.
    I've ended up using an old laptop with a broken screen as a router instead though. It's got a wifi card for anything else to connect to.
    I'm in the position of getting a 300kish connection in the right place, and
    nothing at all a few inches away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭richie.c

I tried making up a usb extension cable but unfortunately the modem keeps disconnecting and it won't stay on long enough. I'll see if I can pick up some of those active repeater cables and try running it up to the attic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭niallb

How do you mean "making up a usb extension"?
    The active repeater sounds like a good idea, but I was just
    using a passive premade male to female USB extension cable.

Height can make a lot of difference, but the main reasons it does
    are because it can put less walls in the way of the signal,
    or get higher up into the signal coming over nearby hills or buildings.

Your best bet is to try the modem on all the windows in your house.
    Leave it in each one for at least 30 seconds and see what kind of
    signal strength you get. The working area can be very small if
    you're a long way from the 3G mast - I'm over 10 miles myself,
    and movement of a few inches knocks me back to GPRS signal
    from a nearer (2G only) mast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Aidan Mc

Hi. I'm seriously considering this as the only decent affordable available in my area. Just wondering though... is it possible to connect the usb modem to my wireless router in order to access it on various computers around the house. I have a wireless router with a usb port, 4 ethernet ports and 2 voip sockets too, so I'd like to be able to make use of it! Does the 3modem have to be connected to my pc and then backwards somehow to the router, or could i connect direct from modem to router and from there into my pc.

Any help gratefully appreciated :-)

Your router is very unlikely to support the modem.

The only option would be to get the Huawei E630 data card, which will cost the exact same as the USB modem and deliver the same speed. After that, pick up a Linksys 3G router, about €150, and slide the card in. It's got a built in router, wireless, etc.. That's what I have been doing a lot with Vodafone, but it works with 3 as well, as long as you get the PC card and not the USB modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

I have a similar problem with an iffy signal, so I called the 3 shop and they tell me the 20 euro package is only available with the modem. The data card is much more expensive per month with a lower allowance.

BTW, the USB mini to two USB cable - what's that called and is it possible for me to buy a much longer one?

Please comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I spotted that in their store in Henry Street.
    i.e. they still have the old packages on the sales leaflet for the datacard i.e. 250 & 3000 meg packages.

But you can get the datacard alright on their website, with the new packages, same as the usb modem.
    http://www.three.ie/handsets_new/datacards.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

right.. i helped out in the linksys 54g3g thread about the pcmcia data card... here's the answer for running the usb card in a different location to your computer.... don't know if you can run it with out the reciever dongle.. maybe it works on wifi or bluetooth.. but take a look at this.... saves you keeping your laptop in one place while trying to get a signal...

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5U301-CableFree-4-Port-Dongle/dp/B000LP9RQC

i haven't looked into where you can buy them in ireland... but i'm sure they are avialable..

regards and happy surfing.. oh buy the way.. I just switched from the 3000mb 39.99 per month.. to the 10 gig for 19.99 per month... i'm getting a better download cap for half the price.. the voice and data stuff that ain't includded in the package are SMS and normal telephone calls.. skype msn and anything else is ok to use...

hope my info helps..

regards

Ian

• Advertisement

Just to correct myself, it is NOT WRT54GL, it is as ianblyth says the 54g3g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

correction to both... Linksys WRT54G3G mine was correct just didn't put in the WRT bit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

ianblyth wrote:
    right.. i helped out in the linksys 54g3g thread about the pcmcia data card... here's the answer for running the usb card in a different location to your computer.... don't know if you can run it with out the reciever dongle.. maybe it works on wifi or bluetooth.. but take a look at this.... saves you keeping your laptop in one place while trying to get a signal...

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5U301-CableFree-4-Port-Dongle/dp/B000LP9RQC

i haven't looked into where you can buy them in ireland... but i'm sure they are avialable..

regards and happy surfing.. oh buy the way.. I just switched from the 3000mb 39.99 per month.. to the 10 gig for 19.99 per month... i'm getting a better download cap for half the price.. the voice and data stuff that ain't includded in the package are SMS and normal telephone calls.. skype msn and anything else is ok to use...

hope my info helps..

regards

Ian

These seem to have died a death. There is no information on the belkin site. They have received poor reviews on Amazon
    Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

Drayteks 2910 range support the usb modem with a firmware upgrade, you just plug it in the back of the router and you can use it over wifi or wire from the router then, stick it in the attic for good 3g reception.

http://www.draytek.com/about_us/news/20070516.php

dsl warehouse do them for a reasonable price (i think about 150 sterling). not cheap but decent quality router.

Advertisement