Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build - Do I have everything? Not sure!

Options
  • 28-05-2007 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building a computer.

I've picked out these products, can anyone tell me what else I need?
    Also are there any disadvantages of what I have chosen?

Athlon 64 X2 4600+, Mainboard, 2048MB, PCI-Express here on Komplett, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=313413

Case: Antec Sonata II Miditower, Black w/450W PSU - http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=311799

Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=327715&cks=ACC

Apart from the above I dont know what I need.
    I want to have dual displays if possible (not essential as I assume I can do that at a later stage).

I'll mainly be using it for Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Flash, My Girlfriend Playing World of Warcraft (shes addicted), maybe some video editing (not for a while though so not important right away).

Sorry about all the newbie questions but I don't know anything about hardware!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Cheers dude, as I said I dont know much about hardware.

But why is Intel > Amd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its just the way the new intel chips have become far superior to anything AMD can pump out at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Shh! Don't tell Conzy, he still thinks AMD>Intel ;) .

Challengemaster's selection is nice, maybe change the PSU to a seasonic and the DVD to a standard writer. Unless you have a thing for lightscribe over a simple marker (suits me grand!). But sure tis only 20 euro i guess.

Yeah i would change to a seasonic psu too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Cool,

I was told that .... Now this is probably totally wrong.

Vista would run better on AMD than Intel - Because Intel Emulates the Dual Core Technology (or something to that effect).

Don't get me wrong! I wont be running out to buy Vista, LOL... But I'd like to have it Vista Ready for Future.

I see where you are coming from here. As the older singe core Pentium 4's used HT ( hyper threading ) to make the 1 core look like 2. And work on two tasts at the same time. More reading on HT Here

But that information is abotu 18 months out of date now. Although AMD were the first to release a True Dual core chip, intel has caught AMD up and passed them. Infact intel now have a Quad(4) core chip out.

Simply put. AMD have nothing out that will keep with the intel C2D chips here at the moment. Yes the AMD 6000+ X2 is faster then the lower range C2D chips. The mid range chips from intel are faster then the high end X2 chips.

For example

A socket F fx74(amd)3.0ghz is £258.50 or 379€
    A socket AM2 6000+(amd)3.0ghz is £147.92 or 216€
    A lga775 6600 C2S(intel)2.4ghz is £136.29 or 200€

All prices from scan.co.uk

So out of them 3 chips. The slower clockspeed e6600 is genrally faster in games. Faster at zipping a 303mb file. Faster in photoshop. Is faster at ripping mp3's and faster at dvd encoding.

And this is at stock speeds. With a standard intel reference HSF you can hit 3ghz without touching the voltage. And go upto 3.6ghz with a top of the line aftermarket air cooler.

All in all the e6600 offers the best bang for buck .

I hope this makes sence to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

well i was thinking seasonic, but seeing as my OCZ psu is running so well w/o any trouble for about half a year now.. i'd trust them quite a bit. was also thinking maybe hiper modular for tidyness.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

well i was thinking seasonic, but seeing as my OCZ psu is running so well w/o any trouble for about half a year now.. i'd trust them quite a bit. was also thinking maybe hiper modular for tidyness.

get a seasonic M12 they're modular

Advertisement