Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New moves banned in WWE

• 28-05-2007 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

WWE has banned the shooting star press and the 450 splash. SmackDown superstar Paul London did a shooting star plancha which wasn’t technically illegal, but Vince McMahon told him if he did it again he would fire him on the spot.

Credit - Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

In fairness, they are pretty dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

^^they are yes but often its not moves like the 450 or shooting star press that injure much of WWE talent.....
    A simple drop kick can be dangerous as well if not done correctly so I don't quite understand this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

fatal wrote:
    ^^they are yes but often its not moves like the 450 or shooting star press that injure much of WWE talent.....
    A simple drop kick can be dangerous as well if not done correctly so I don't quite understand this one

Yeah but with a drop kick you might blow a knee out. A screwed up shooting star press might end up with someone getting their neck broken.

With all the injuries currently in the WWE, I think its the right move. Obviously dangerous moves aren't the reason for all these injuries. If anything, its just gradual wear and tear from the schedule but I still think its a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

I think its interesting that none of the hardyz moves have been banned...whispering the wind, swantom bomb etc.....both pretty dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

It's very rarely that these moves are messed up though. Mark Briscoe messed up a shooting star press to the outside of the ring a few months ago and knocked himself out in ROH, but apart from that, I'm really at a loss to remember the last time someone got injured doing one. London used to mess up moves like that a good bit when he was younger, but now I feel like a large part of the reason they're banned has nothing to do with safety

I thought they were banned already anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

im not sure what they are really... is a shooting star press what Lesnar screwed up and nearly broke his neck?

EDIT:actually this guy did it better :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFMN_C8P-c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Fozzy wrote:

so did I....about two years ago it was mentioned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Fozzy wrote:

I thought the same. Thought he banned them moves when Juventud botched the 450 on Smackdown ages ago, giving London a smack into the eye with his knee. And the whole story of London telling off Vince and London jobbing for weeks on Velocity (Jeez, thankfully those days ended)....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Ah gone are the days when a simple 'doomsday device' off the top rope would get the job done. Now that was pretty dangerous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Notice who its the big musclebound wrestlers in WWE usually get injured Triple H, Batista, Undertaker its a combination of tight muscles and age. Look at TNA I can't remember a significant injury in the few years I have been watching it and look at all the "dangerous" moves they do. Canadian Destroyer etc doesnt really add up that guys are blowing out muscles doing spinebusters in WWE. That is all.

• Advertisement

EdK wrote:
    I can't remember a significant injury in the few years .

Maybe thats because they do 5 shows a month and WWE does about 16-18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Aren't TNA doing house shows now as well?, granted not as many as WWE (who are doing more than 16-18, more like 22-25 if you include house shows for all 3 brands).

And the SSP was definitely banned from a couple of years back. I think it was banned after Kidman injured Chavo Guerrero with botched version of it.

VR!

Is there not something wrong with that too, TNA workers work the independents too and still don't get injured. How many shows you do only counts for a small portion of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

The SSP has been mentioned as being banned countless times. I think Kidamn holds the record for having it banned as he botched it so many times it later years after bulking up. I remember seeing footage of him do the spin only for his legs to hit the top turnbuckle on the way down. Nasty impact.

EdK wrote:
    Is there not something wrong with that too, TNA workers work the independents too and still don't get injured. How many shows you do only counts for a small portion of it.

i disagree. Gradual wear and tear is a big part. The WWE schedule is rugged. It takes its toll.

i disagree. Gradual wear and tear is a big part. The WWE schedule is rugged. It takes its toll.

Also you gotta bear in mind that those working for WWE between August 99 and April 2002 were on double duty. RAW and SD had the exact same guys, double the amount of TV shows, double the amount of house shows, and more critical injuries about that time. HHH's quad tear and Benoit's neck injury to name two. So you're looking at 5 days at least a week on the road. It's not exactly yer average day job now is it? :)

VR!

Also you gotta bear in mind that those working for WWE between August 99 and April 2002 were on double duty. RAW and SD had the exact same guys, double the amount of TV shows, double the amount of house shows, and more critical injuries about that time.

They didn't have double the amount of house shows. That would mean guys were wrestling 8 times a week. I think it was pretty much the same schedule for the individuals, except some would be on tv twice. Four shows a week, same as the wrestlers do now

Fozzy wrote:
    They didn't have double the amount of house shows. That would mean guys were wrestling 8 times a week. I think it was pretty much the same schedule for the individuals, except some would be on tv twice. Four shows a week, same as the wrestlers do now

You sure about that? Cos i remember reading the whole point of the brand extension was to cut down the touring for a lot of the roster due to the amount of injuries that were multiplying.

VR!

If you look at the house show results from 2001 here, you can see it's generally only 2 house shows a week. Where they have 3 or 4 shows, it's two different groups of wrestlers doing them, so each wrestler would still only be doing 2 house shows and 2 tv tapings

I thought the brand split was just a way to make more money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kidman used to botch the SSP all the time because he couldn't jump far enough. He used to drag them to the corner and then he clip his legs and land head/neck first.

He did it on Nitro one night and Bischoff ran straight out to the ring. Bischoff went pale as anything. I think he thought Kidman was paralysed.

Brock botched it because he just wasn't used to doing it. Juve used to nail the 450 all the time in WCW. I can't remember him botching it in WWE.

• Advertisement

It's exploitation is what it is, Vince doesnt give a crap about any of his wrestlers he'll just drive them into the ground for all the money they can make him before discarding them.

Apparently Bock pulled off the shooting star perfectly in all his attempts at it except when it actually mattered.

Advertisement