Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart casual?

• 28-05-2007 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

I am starting a new job on tuesday and the dress code is smart casual. I'm new to this, as a student I am usually either very casual or very smart! :o All that comes to my mind are black trousers and blouses. What exactly is acceptable do ye think? What do most people my age usually wear? I am female and 19.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I work in a place which is smart casual. Most days i wear black trousers and any kinda top bar one with a hood or a t-shirt with a logo/print plastered on the front of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd wear something like a blouse and trousers the first day and see what everyone else is wearing then. It might actually be casual where you work, HR tend to say "business casual" by default when they don't know what the actual people in your department wear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Lola123

Stark wrote:
    I'd wear something like a blouse and trousers the first day and see what everyone else is wearing then. It might actually be casual where you work, HR tend to say "business casual" by default when they don't know what the actual people in your department wear.

I agree. Blouse and trousers on the first day and then you should be able to judge how casual/smart you should be dressed.
    A Smart casual dress code in most offices tends to mean "no tracksuits,hoodies,t-shirts with logo's, knee high boots with mini skirts, jeans, runners, or anything that you would wear out clubbing".
    They basically don't want people coming in looking like they are on their way into town on a friday night or on their way to the gym.
    My office is supposedly business dress which generally means suits, but as a girl you get away with bending these rules a bit more!! For example today I'm wearing a beige check high waisted skirt and with a black puffed sleeve blouse tucked into it and heels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

hi, where I work its smart casual too. It just means no jeans/sports clothes/slogan tshirts. I usually get trousers from penneys (they are cheap and they last) and then just wear thenm with smart tops and long cardigans in teh summer of jumpers and stuff in winter. Most of my work stuff comes from penneys or H & M. You could also wear skirts & dresses once they are not too short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

I'm also 19, and worked for two ladies' designer labels in Clerys last year, my dress code was smart casual as well.

The best thing to invest in this season is linen trousers in three different colours- white, brown and black. They're light, smart and comfortable, and are widely available in full and 3/4 length. I recommend River Island's range of linens- may be a bit more expensive, but they're an investment. Good linen trousers never go out.

Invest in 2 or 3 blazers- a navy and a white are a must- white can be worn with all three pairs of linens, navy looks great with white. Buy some vest tops in different colours to go underneath, and buy some pretty patterned scarves to tie around your neck.

Shoes- leather flats in black or brown, one pair of sandals, flat, and one pair of wedges. Shoes are very important- I recommend Office and Barratts.

Bag- a large basket tote will take take you through the whole summer. Durable, cheap and stylish- most high street stores have different variations out at the moment.

Underwear- seamless thongs and hotpants in white, nude and black. Tshirt bras in the same colours.

Hair- keep it neat. Off your face.

Makeup- natural. Stick to the "Foxy Five"- concealer, powder, mascara, blush and lipgloss.

Also, invest in some floaty knee-length skirts and team them with pretty short sleeved blouses- these are great, as you can throw a little top in your bag and put it on with the skirt and wedges after work if you're going for a drink.

I based my work wardrobe last summer on all of the above- my boss always praised my appearance, I didn't break the bank, and all of the things I bought are basic classics that last, and I still wear day to day.

Good luck with the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Sorry for the off topic post but... OMG I'm so happy that I'm a bloke and my workplace has a completely casual dress code. :D

Advertisement