Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 28-05-2007 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi Everyone

I need advice plizz, i am a sole trader and run an online store, now i want to open second one so obviously i need a new domaine, no its a question - do i need register second business name and vat ? or can i get domain with my business reg i got for the first company and use the same vat number for that second store? Bit lost at the moment
    Thanks in advance guys!

mxxx

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

new business name yes, in order to get the domain , I would even register a full domain name as a business name such as a duck business as the business name duck.ie in case the iedr get anal about it

new vat number no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Littlepete

I don't think you have to. Unless your market is solely in Ireland you dont want a .ie domain, but if you do you'll need to register the name, costs 20 quid. For an online business i'd recommend if at all possible to get a .com - which can be tough. But only this week i found that a friend of mine who runs a .ie site selling a product was getting cashed in on by someone who owned the .com domain. They offered to sell a comparable service for twice the price and will profit from his products reputation.

On the VAT front as a sole trader the VAT number is your personal number so it covers anything you earn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭misterq

you only need to register a new business name if you are trying to:
    a) Register a new .ie domain name that is substantially different to your existing business name

or
    b) If you wish to trade under a new name and therefore need to accept cheques etc made out to this new name.

VAT number would remain the same, you are the same person, just trading under two different names.

Do not, as Sponge Bob said, register the business name as the domain name. The IEDR aren't anal about domain names but the CRO are anal about issuing business names just so people can register .ie domains and have brought in a rule prohibiting the registration of a domain name as a business name.
    Eg: register "Duck" as your business name, but if you try to register "Duck.ie" the CRO will refuse it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 magz2006

Thank you very much for your replies, realy apreaciate your time.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

misterq wrote:
    but the CRO are anal about issuing business names just so people can register .ie domains and have brought in a rule prohibiting the registration of a domain name as a business name.
    Eg: register "Duck" as your business name, but if you try to register "Duck.ie" the CRO will refuse it.

I have registered the 'duck.ie' business name in the past, when did this rule come in ????

• Advertisement
Advertisement