Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

possible to be Over Qualified for masters?

• 28-05-2007 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

im applying for a multimedia course, some of the stuff they teach seesm pretty basic, i was thinking of adding some of my portfolio work in with the application/cv which is much more advanced than what they hope to teach.
    Can i be considered over qualified and denied a position ?

p.s: im doing Msc to get the qualification on my cv, if ur curious.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just curious as to why it's worth your while doing it - presumably your portfolio work should be enticing to a future employer? But I don't think it would be too much of a problem, most MSc applications appear to be a case of ticking all the right boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Placebo do you mind me asking where and what course?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Msc Multimedia systems TCD.
    Red Alert, ive a degree in CSSE, so i really want a graphics sort qualification to help me get in aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Placebo wrote:
    Can i be considered over qualified and denied a position ?

I think the days of colleges turning down applicants to a course are few and far between.

When I did my MSc there was some overlap between it and my BSc. I think you will find that there is always going to be some overlap, especially if they are in similar fields.

i've applied to that course too, do you mind me asking how well you did in your undergrad?

just i got a 2.2 but they have said the min is 2.1, really have to keep my fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

tom dunne wrote:
    I think the days of colleges turning down applicants to a course are few and far between.

When I did my MSc there was some overlap between it and my BSc. I think you will find that there is always going to be some overlap, especially if they are in similar fields.

My masters was basically a rehash of selected modules from my degree course, and I only had to pay about a grand because of an EU subsidy for IT courses. Sweet deal eh? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

marco_polo wrote:
    My masters was basically a rehash of selected modules from my degree course, and I only had to pay about a grand because of an EU subsidy for IT courses. Sweet deal eh? :D

Which masters was that, im thinking the one im gonna do will be the same kind of thing...

tcd told me i got in - conditional exceptence but theyve dissappeared, i keep ringing them and they dont know anything about anything.

i got dcu aswell but i didnt accept - now its gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Placebo wrote:
    tcd told me i got in - conditional exceptence but theyve dissappeared, i keep ringing them and they dont know anything about anything.

did u not accept DCU?

Placebo wrote:

same thing here. gonna get on the the course director tomorrow.

• Advertisement

ok man let me know what they say, i rang em up loads their all lost.

courese director says speak to graduate office, graduate office says no idea

WTF !! what do we do man !!?

no idea gonna get on to grad office again tomorrow - fecking ridiculous. i know a few people who are doing diff postgrads in tcd and have fees paid and all at this stage.

really? il make a few calls tomorow. il post here with an updates

just found out info will be sent out next week, thank god. fees set at €1600.

thank **** !!! this comming week or week after?
    thanks man !

hopefully this week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 sign

marco_polo wrote:

I'm wondering why the EU is paying an extra subsidy for IT courses when there appears to be few enough jobs in computers and an over supply of qualified applicants from much poorer zones outside the EU e.g India ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 beef4life

sign wrote: »
    I'm wondering why the EU is paying an extra subsidy for IT courses when there appears to be few enough jobs in computers and an over supply of qualified applicants from much poorer zones outside the EU e.g India ?

I thinks it's mostly because alot of IT/software companies are owned by European and US business people. Those companies outsource "low level" programming tasks to cheaper countries like China and India but the overall interface design, data architecture i.e "high level" tasks are produced in the US and Europe.

The EU wants to keep IT companies competitive by producing skilled gruduates and this will in turn keep money flowing into the Euro zone in the form of taxes from software sales. This is why the EU are willing to subsidize our IT courses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

As skill surveys have shown there is not enough people to fill the IT jobs and the gap is growing. Yes, certain back office routine programming jobs can be sent to Bangalore, but the customer facing jobs have to remain where the businesses are. The government realise this, even if the public seem to think there is a declining number of jobs. This is why many of the courses with the subsidised are more in the business end, like the Msc in Ecommerce in DCU or the Master of Management Science in UCD.

just for the record, this course is worse than i assumed
    over experienced is also an under estimation.

Cant believe so much money gets wasted on courses like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 bobtongs

Placebo wrote: »
    just for the record, this course is worse than i assumed
    over experienced is also an under estimation.

I'm considering doing this course next year. Can you tell me why you don't rate it? I've got a degree in computer engineering and have worked with digital media a little before. Is the course based on learning technology (which I may already know a lot of) or is there any focus on theory and content?

Advertisement