Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing user name...advice pls

Options
  • 28-05-2007 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi All
    not sure if this is the right place for this post so forgive me if I'm wrong.
    just looking for some advice on changing my user name is it possible to do without re registering?

or do you have to re register.

Thanks
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I did it once. IIRC you need to PM an Admin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I like your current name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i do believe you have to subscribe to boards

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Yes.
    You need to be a subscriber in order to change your user name.
    Re-registering is not a good idea.

Also, I too like your current user-name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Details and benefits on subscribing are here (or see me sig), it is up to yourself of course but the only way you can request a name change as mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Ruu wrote:
    Details and benefits on subscribing are here (or see me sig), it is up to yourself of course but the only way you can request a name change as mentioned.

Though that's not necessarily guaranteed that your user name will be changed to what you request - i.e. if the name is already registered?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I actually have been thinking of changing mine for a while as I'm sure it is pretty obvious that it was chosen in haste, i.e. I followed DubWireless here nearly 5 years ago after being on a PDA forum somewhere looking for info an XDA, now here I am 6,500 posts later with a username that isn't exactly original!:rolleyes:

Should I change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭saddle tramp

Thanks for the super fast response people and for the compliment on my current username....

nipplenuts lol now that's a class user name :cool:

why is re-registering such a bad idea it would seem like the simplest thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well the same person registering two accounts is normally frowned upon although after only 28 posts and for genuine reasons it may not be as big an issue, but be careful you could end up with no accounts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's frowned upon to have more than one account, as it can lead to problems (such as people using loads of accounts to back themselves up in arguments). Even if you reregister and never use your original account again, it can come back to bite you in the ass later on if you get into trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Faith wrote:
    It's frowned upon to have more than one account, as it can lead to problems (such as people using loads of accounts to back themselves up in arguments). Even if you reregister and never use your original account again, it can come back to bite you in the ass later on if you get into trouble.

There's a thread in feedback at the moment about this exact issue (well almost exact - two accounts from the one IP address)...

>> goes to check the updates on it from yesterday..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Irish Wolf wrote:
    Though that's not necessarily guaranteed that your user name will be changed to what you request - i.e. if the name is already registered?

Indeed, so if you end up subscribing OP, make sure that the name you wanted is free first of all. :D

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Thanks for the super fast response people and for the compliment on my current username....

nipplenuts lol now that's a class user name :cool:

why is re-registering such a bad idea it would seem like the simplest thing to do.
    Basically, the reason revolves around bans. If I were to ban your account from, say, Feedback, it would serve no purpose if you simply used another account to get around the ban, and continue to post in Feedback.

When this happens, it results in both accounts getting site-wide bans. The 'primary' account may not be banned permanently, but this depends on the circumstances.

Name changes are generally a subscriber perk, but if there are valid reasons for the change, other than 'I don't like my username "coolguy1234", can it be changed to "KoolBloke1234"?, then an Admin might oblige.

Currently, most of the Admins are busy, so if you do PM them, remember to be patient in waiting for a response. Oh, and I think Cloud has his PMs turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,425 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hi saddle tramp. Why would you want to change your user name?

I told you earlier today that dual accounts are not the way to go

Re-register and another "gross miss justice" will probably be done to you too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

unkel wrote:
    Re-register and another "gross miss justice" will probably be done to you too :rolleyes:

He aint kiddin!

unkel wrote:
    Hi saddle tramp. Why would you want to change your user name?

I told you earlier today that dual accounts are not the way to go

Oh let's say I got bored with my username and fancied a change. it would seem prudent to find out exactly the right way to do it if it was possible? Don't you think?

As for what was said earlier I was really just cut short I think its fare to say thats what happened.
    And given the big dog little dog routine!!! played that game many a time except normally Im the bigger Dog ;)
    But anyway thats done now time to move on mustn't dwell on the past :rolleyes:
    To be honest I'm just trying to understand this whole thing.
    And when I'm in this sandpit I'd like to be able to know what the unwritten rules are so I can play by them just like I'd expect visitors to my sandpit to play by mine.

what would you recommend the best way would be to change my username if I wanted to do so.As re-registering seems to result in a ban possibly for life which is ridiculous IMO.
    this also raises the question of multiple users in the same household how is this dealt with? Or is it a case that only one member of Any household can be a member on boards.ie "Seems a Little Stone Age to me" surely this can't be the way it is??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Oh for god sake, just re-register and don't use your old nick. Simple as. Don't turn this into a Fight ZE POWA thread of justice....

And now for some smileys:
    :D:):D:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

You could just subscribe for a month (for €5), demand your moneys worth and generally throw your weight around... next time I subscribe I'm going to tell various mods that my subscriptions pay their salary... that'll learn 'em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

You could attend a beers and persuade a drunken regi to change it for you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

And now Amp with the smiley news.
    Amp wrote:
    And now for some smileys:
    :D:):D:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

unkel wrote:

Justice is a cruel mistress ;)

saddle tramp, I like your present nick as well. Why change it?

If you must, please don't go with Fiesta1.1, or Canyonero6.2, I may use those myself, in the future, depending on whether I downsize or upscale.
    ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I suppose you could reregister and let the Admins/SMods know and they can permanently ban your original account, thus preventing any future possible dual-account trolling.

They could, but shouldn't IMO.

If for no other reason, the admins have enough to contend with without dealing with a deluge of folks who want to change horses in midstream as it were.

Besides, vBulletin has no facility that I'm aware of to link posts from one author to a previous, unrelated incarnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

The OP doesnt want to change nick, they want us to say its ok to reregister, because a friend of theirs was perm banned for rereging, supposedly just to change their name.

What I think merits some investigation is the OP's claim that dual accounts are common. Do you have more than one account saddle tramp?

Very true, Kaptain.

My point above stands, though, subject to an admin saying otherwise, for the reasons as posted, as much as anything else :)

Why change it?

If you must, please don't go with Fiesta1.1, or Canyonero6.2, I may use those myself, in the future, depending on whether I downsize or upscale.
    ;)

lol Funny Guy you're killing me :rolleyes:

I wouldn't dream of stepping on your toes . although I couldn't see you downsizing From a BMW to a Fiesta so I'm pretty sure I'd be safe if I chose to use that. ;)
    Can's on wheels are not really my thing anyway.

sorry for getting slightly off topic.

The OP doesnt want to change nick, they want us to say its ok to reregister, because a friend of theirs was perm banned for rereging, supposedly just to change their name.
    actually I'm not looking for anyone to admit that at all but let's cut to the chase.
    In my opinion someone was far to quit of the Mark in banning a new user for life for registering twice considering it was not realised it was something that just wasn't on... you'd be surprised how many people actually don't realise this. There was no discussion, no warning, just a permanent ban...to a guy who had only been around here and little over a week maybe.. Dose that seem right?

And to say that he was using two accounts to abuse another member just isn't quite fair either. If you actually spend the time and re-read the thread you will see the reason for the name change and it was not hid in any way whatsoever "it was genuinely quite innocent" the fact that a heated debate happened to start in the same tread at the same time was unfortunate.
    But for it to be manipulated by the powers that be at the time in the way it was was just wrong and definitely an abuse of power. I don't much care what anyone says that's the fact. There are too many keyboard Jackie Chan's here it seem.......... That maybe they actually need policing themselves.
    As for myself im sure that theres a couple of fingers resting on that ban button it seems to be you have to be so so careful what you say around here which makes it very difficult to debate anything..........
    I generally don't post around here much I preferre to just sit and read through the stuff "each to their own" you'd be surprised what can be learnt from not posting.
    But most of them lads "that a Hell of a lot of the more influential people here seemed to have taken a disliking to" are some of the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet... and extremely knowledgeable and capable mechanics that would definitely be an asset to this place.. would it not make more sense to take advantage of this?
    It seems to me maybe the rules of this playground just need to be laid out a little more clearly. And some here just need to lighten up a little bit this is not life and death or anything.... just the Internet.

Do you have more than one account saddle tramp?

don't be silly

actually I'm not looking for anyone to admit that at all but let's cut to the chase.

Personally I don't believe you. You've been a member of this site for twelve months, and by your own admission were a content lurker, up to two days ago, in which time you have doubled your post count, exclusively on fighting the cause for this guy and the US car folks.

(Relevant threads are here , here, and here.)
    In my opinion someone was far to quit Mark in banning a new user for life for registering twice considering it was not realised it was something that just wasn't on... you'd be surprised how many people actually don't realise this.
    and to say that he was using two accounts to abuse another member just isn't quite fair either.

No you're right there, he only needed one username for the abuse (link above refers).

Do you suggest we hold everybody's hand when they register to avoid future misunderstandings? The responsibility is with the user to conform with the rules of the site, simple as. There is also a Newbies & FAQ forum that I doubt you or your friends have taken the time to visit.
    If you actually spend the time and re-read the thread you will see the reason for the name change and it was not hid in any way whatsoever "it was genuinely quite innocent" the fact that a heated debate happened to start in the same tread at the same time was unfortunate.
    But for it to be manipulated by the powers that be at the time in the way it was was just wrong and definitely an abuse of power. I don't much care what anyone says that's the fact.

If you don't care what anyone says, you've gone to great links to both discredit me and other forum users, and claim that a "gross miss justice" has been perpetrated.

There are too many keyboard Jackie Chan's here it seem.......... That maybe they actually need policing themselves.

FIGHT DA POWAH!!!111eleventyone?
    But most of them lads "that a Hell of a lot of the more influential people here seemed to have taken a disliking to" are some of the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet... and extremely knowledgeable and capable mechanics that would definitely be an asset to this place.. would it not make more sense to take advantage of this?

They haven't added anything to the forum that I can see, but that's no reason for them to be penalised in any way.

Corrected if deemed necessary for the good of the forum maybe, but still made as welcome as any other if the rules are adhered to.

It's ridiculous to even think that people are being banned for having an opinion.

I'm not going to go over the spamchat issue here again, anyone who has read the thread will know my opinion (and others) on that issue, but maybe you should let the lads fight their own battle instead of being the unofficial spokesman/rabble rouser.
    It seems to me maybe the rules of this playground just need to be laid out a little more clearly. And some here just need to lighten up a little bit this is not life and death or anything.... just the Internet.

They are laid out quite clearly, if people take the trouble to read them. It seems that some individuals are part of the "crocodile" school of posting-a big mouth, but miniscule ears, which isn't a good thing to bring to any community, online or off.

If it's just the internet, why are you so bovvered?

• Advertisement

Personally I don't believe you. You've been a member of this site for twelve months, and by your own admission were a content lurker, up to two days ago, in which time you have doubled your post count, exclusively on fighting the cause for this guy and the US car folks.

(Relevant threads are here , here, and here.)

No you're right there, he only needed one username for the abuse (link above refers).

Do you suggest we hold everybody's hand when they register to avoid future misunderstandings? The responsibility is with the user to conform with the rules of the site, simple as. There is also a Newbies & FAQ forum that I doubt you or your friends have taken the time to visit.

If you don't care what anyone says, you've gone to great links to both discredit me and other forum users, and claim that a "gross miss justice" has been perpetrated.

FIGHT DA POWAH!!!111eleventyone?

They haven't added anything to the forum that I can see, but that's no reason for them to be penalised in any way.

Corrected if deemed necessary for the good of the forum maybe, but still made as welcome as any other if the rules are adhered to.

It's ridiculous to even think that people are being banned for having an opinion.

I'm not going to go over the spamchat issue here again, anyone who has read the thread will know my opinion (and others) on that issue, but maybe you should let the lads fight their own battle instead of being the unofficial spokesman/rabble rouser.

They are laid out quite clearly, if people take the trouble to read them. It seems that some individuals are part of the "crocodile" school of posting-a big mouth, but miniscule ears, which isn't a good thing to bring to any community, online or off.

If it's just the internet, why are you so bovvered?

What is this obsession people on this board seem to have with the length of time there on here and the amount of post they've put up!! "strange" someone seems to be keeping an eye on me!
    Anyway Were were we.. Oh yes.
    I can See I am not going to get anywhere with you my friend. Your far too busy just trying to be smart and belittle people with wisecracks . why do you feel the need to dissect every post? Actually don't answer that if you don't mind.
    I'm going to take your advice and let them fight There corner.. But why it has to be a fight at all I don't understand....
    Just one last thing sarcasm/humour (definitely not a abuse)
    The truth be known he was banned for being humorous/sarcastic towards you.... and maybe it was being seen he may be a problem to control on this board. "maybe liven it up a little"
    It's quite obvious that you've never met the man.

Enuf side i think before more people start falling out with each other.

thanks to everyone for their time.

Advertisement