Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The poetry of T.S. Eliot...

Options
  • 29-05-2007 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Anyone seriously considering attempting this next wednesday?

and if so what are you hoping to discuss in relation to his work? i am personally doing prufrock, preludes and journey of the magi, because i feel i have a contrst between the early and the later, believer eliot. I hope to discuss social degradation for preludes, but as for the other two im not sure what exactly would be most relevant. any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I might, haven't studied or done a question on him yet, so it would be a last resort in the exam.

I liked Eliot at frist when we started studying him(JAP is amazing). But then he had to go all Christian on us, whcih kinda put me off him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

hes my third choice....if neither plath nor kavanagh come up (in which case,i will be very very angry:mad: ) then il answer on him...

il prob. answer on prufrock, preludes, journey of the magi and aunt helen,simply because theyre the only four i know well.i completely do not understand "a game of chess" its so confusing! :confused: but if the question is any way related to nature (which i cant imagine happening) il throw in somthing on usk and rannoch (we didnt actualy study "usk" but il prob. look at it before the exam)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Wait until Lilmizzme sees this thread, she will probably post up an answer!:D

The Love Song Of J. Alfred Prufrock
    The Waste Land: A Game of Chess
    Aunt Helen

And of course a paragraph about the influence of modernism on his poetry(or his poetry as the creation of modernism) with cpoious quoting of his essay 'Tradition and the Individual Talent'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

He's my first choice:D Then Plath and Frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

His work sucks donkey balls and out of preference, I would never choose to write about his pseudo intellect crap.
    I hope he doesent make an appearance on paper two this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

If Yeats is not on, I will probably do Eliot ( provided he is on!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

He's myfirst choice, by far the most interesting poet on the course and one whom I could write books on sothe 5/6 pages in the exam shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Naikon wrote:
    His work sucks donkey balls and out of preference, I would never choose to write about his pseudo intellect crap.
    I hope he doesent make an appearance on paper two this year.

Better tell the Nobel people to revoke his prize then! Eliot is a good poet, but he is very very complex and dense. I didn't have enough time to focus on The Wasteland so fair play to anyone who is going to tackle his work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Any comments of Naikon's towards poetry are generally ignored ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Truffles. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Well...I was a little harsh in that remark.
    I would say he is an Excellent poet alongside the likes of Yeats, but I think they are out of my league so I am "embittered", but are probably better to answer on If you are A1 standard for example.
    God damm cramming is killing me so excuse my narkiness;/

Advertisement