Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McGonagles

Options
  • 29-05-2007 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

anyone out there remember mcgonagles?? saturday and sunday afternoon disco's? :D
    whatever happened to tom hayes capital nightsky radio??
    maybe i'm too old:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

In before Ph3n0m, J-Zilla and the rest start reminiscing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Tom Hayes! I listened to that show religiously, it was great. I never really went to McGonagles though, apart from a couple of gigs (Xentrix back around 1990/91, and a few others).

McGonagles was sweaty, dusty & crowded (except for the time I saw Saxon there, 52 people at it).

Anyway, Capitol radio (as it was) went off air at the end of 1988 with all the other pirate stations. It was, I suppose, the Phantom FM of it's day (certainly better than Sunshine 101 or any of the other mainstream stations back then).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

That wavey **** is going on, it's all coming back to me :p

First time I was there was for a Saturday afternoon gig in 88, Predator played, bought their demo tape which I still have, magic stuff. Used to go to the Friday night Metal discos a lot, rockin out to Surf Nicaragua... ahhhhhh :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

aye twas a blast - also remembering a load of lads came up to a mate of mine, offering to bash the lads, who kicked me around - strange thing was, no one had touched me that night (not even the ladies :( ).

still was all good friendly violent fun

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Used to go there every Friday night after Bruxelles many moons ago.It was rock/heavy metal night.

Funnily enough the only band I ever saw there was The Stone Roses late on a Friday.They didnt go down well at all as everyone was expecting their usual Friday night head banging session.

I cant believe I drank their wine.:p

• Advertisement

adox wrote:
    I cant believe I drank their wine.:p

cant believed you survived :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

or at least not blind :p

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Surf Nicaragua on a Friday night, my God that brought back a few memories, they were the days except for that ****e wine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Friday night rockout, saturday night 'indie' disco (i.e. there'd actually be birds there), wednesday night industrial disco (PWEI, Die Warzau, Skinny Puppy - all the greats ;)... all of which were proceded by hanging around in Bruxelles drinking as much cider as possible as nothing available in McGonagles was drinkable apart from the water. It was a choice of Perri or Black Tower if I remember correctly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hey there were some females there on friday nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Yes, but they were usually of the fingerless gloves, gigantic torn woolly jumper, 14 hole docks, panda eyeliner and long lank hair parted in the middle school of thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Froot

stupid chief

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Doctor J wrote:
    That wavey **** is going on, it's all coming back to me :p

First time I was there was for a Saturday afternoon gig in 88, Predator played, bought their demo tape which I still have, magic stuff. Used to go to the Friday night Metal discos a lot, rockin out to Surf Nicaragua... ahhhhhh :)

i first saw predator play on the top floor of music maker in exchequer street, still have the demo tape somewhere, the best song had the guitar riff off jesus christ superstar!!
    xentrix-- ghostbusters!! moral crusade and panic played mcgons for a good while before it closed...
    yeah surf nicaragua with the dry ice machine ha ha, and angel of death!!!
    not to mention drinkin on the back steps of the Powerscourt centre (b4 it was the powerscourt centre!!)
    if there was a female in the moshpit you could get a free feel ha ha:p

them were the days..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭nowuckenfurries

Now this thread stirs some memories... Those Saturday gigs used to be great craic!

I saw some great bands there both local & foreign such as:

Predator (Still have the demo tape & EP somewhere in my archives!)
    Killer-Watt
    Last Rites
    Frost (later known as Ogre)
    Chromatic Death
    Sucicidal Tendancies
    Napalm Death
    Concrete Sox
    Doom

LOL The cheap Champange Cider / Ritz served from the Bamboo style bar to anyone with fake ID!! (No picture driving licences in those days!!):o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

I actually joined predator after their last gig at mc gonagles, split up about a month later, embuggerance, class lads.:D

Do yis remember the huge bastard of a bouncer they had there?:mad:

Haven't seen tommy hayes in a while? Anyone know how he's doing?

Best gigs there was Ozzy for two nights, mike inez had just joined and i remember ozzy putting Jack up on his shoulders and bringing him out on stage. He couldn,t have been more than 4 or 5. What a gig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man i am old:o

joeclif wrote:

beside being the former DJ in Brux - nah, havent heard much from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

joeclif wrote:

Man i am old:o

lol @ killerwatt, anyone remember winters reign? :D
    mate of mine is a prison officer, apparently tommy hayes brother was in doing a stretch about 4-5 years ago.

Yeah the ozzy gig was savage. I was gutted that it wasnt geezer with him though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

Winters reign, now there's a blast from the past!

What was that single? Direct take on eye of the tiger type thing?

Yeah Killerwatt, have the ep in the attic. Would never admit to having the winters reign single........

Mr Nice Guy anyone?

I remember a fire alarm in Bruxelles one friday night, 'twas a bomb alert methinks.
    Prompted an immediate rush to the bar to make sure ya had a full pint for the duration!!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

steveone wrote:
    if there was a female in the moshpit you could get a free feel ha ha:p

Yeah a fair few got a feel of my elbow to thier nose or a fell of a fist in the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

I went to McGonagles for two gigs only. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1991. Paradise Lost in November, and Morbid Angel/Unleashed in December of the same year.

Hated the place, cos if you're a wheelchair user like I am, those kinda venues suck, BIG TIME!!!!!

Great memories from those two gigs. Met all the guys from PL after their gig(they were all totally pissed!!!), and met David Vincent after the Morbid Angel gig too. He didnt say much, just signed my ticket and f**ked off!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

adox wrote:
    Used to go there every Friday night after Bruxelles many moons ago.It was rock/heavy metal night.
    IIRC I went to the first few Friday night metal nights and I ended up getting a black eye from the mosh pit. Ruined my parents Christmas photos! :D
    steveone wrote:
    xentrix-- ghostbusters!!
    Did Reanimator support them? I remember meeting them at some gig there.
    joeclif wrote:
    Best gigs there was Ozzy for two nights, mike inez had just joined and i remember ozzy putting Jack up on his shoulders and bringing him out on stage. He couldn,t have been more than 4 or 5. What a gig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That was around 91 IIRC. Weren't they practice gigs for his world tour?

Myself and a few lads also saw Mordred there. We ended up hanging with them for most of the day until they went off to see Philo's grave. Got a big thanks during the gig also.

look what i've gone and done:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭2112

What was the name of the Northern band, used to do a version of Jealous Guy. Winters reign is a name I havnt heard in deacdes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭scubagit

I actually had an idea on my way home from work to make a McGonagles compilation. Called the lads to get suggestions and had great gas downloading some of the more obscure ones.
    Happy memories of the goings on on the stage there too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭zoemax

ahh...the memories. Jaysus this thread makes me feel old. Ozzy in McGonagles in 1991; Xentrix in the late 80's - my first 'metal' gig and my first and last bottle of old cellar wine.....Going to Friday night 'indie' discos when in college and winning a free bottle of champagne :D for being the first up to the dj to identify Janes Addiction (been caught stealing) and being allowed drink it from the bottle whilst on the dance floor.....getting a ****job at the back of the stage at the same gig (you never knew what you were going to see happening at the back of the stage:) ). Happy days..............

is the voodoo lounge the closest thing to mcgons these days??
    they serve nice pints though...
    anyone remember cursed earth??
    the good thing about memory lane is it don't smell of wee....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tommyhayes

Tom Hayes still alive and kicking and living in adelaide australia, After McGonagles and capital/nightsky radio i set up fibber Magee"s on parnel st, I left there after a year and moved to charlies bar on aungier st while also working for phantom fm at the same time then i moved to bruxelles on harry st and worked there untill mid 2006 (10 years),Late 2008 moved to sunny oz Metal not quite caught on here yet so hope to do something here. cheers and thanks for the memories.TH:cool: PS Im"e in the middle of setting up my blog site and will include all those great songs that stood out from those days including those great dublin bands.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tommyhayes wrote: »
    Tom Hayes still alive and kicking and living in adelaide australia, After McGonagles and capital/nightsky radio i set up fibber Magee"s on parnel st, I left there after a year and moved to charlies bar on aungier st while also working for phantom fm at the same time then i moved to bruxelles on harry st and worked there untill mid 2006 (10 years),Late 2008 moved to sunny oz Metal not quite caught on here yet so hope to do something here. cheers and thanks for the memories.TH:cool: PS Im"e in the middle of setting up my blog site and will include all those great songs that stood out from those days including those great dublin bands.
    Good man Tommy!
    Any linky for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

i saw EMF (shurrup i was 13 or 14) in McGonagles..also still have my ticket for Nirvana, who cancelled their gig in mcGonagles 'cos teen spirit broke that week..woulda been a great gig..it was a good venue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

i saw EMF (shurrup i was 13 or 14) in McGonagles..also still have my ticket for Nirvana, who cancelled their gig in mcGonagles 'cos teen spirit broke that week..woulda been a great gig..it was a good venue!

I never got to see a gig at McGonagles, however I went to several metal nights there between 1990-1992, I also was one of about 20 people there when they tried to resurrect it in January 1993.

Man, i miss that place. :(

Advertisement