Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name that Game

Options
  • 29-05-2007 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭

Help. There was a game whose box I read in the store, and I can't find now, and I want to look it up.

It was a Japanesie-kinda game, with a mythical quest (blah-blah), to a land of giant creatures, big as mountains.

Ring any bells?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Help. There was a game whose box I read in the store, and I can't find now, and I want to look it up.

It was a Japanesie-kinda game, with a mythical quest (blah-blah), to a land of giant creatures, big as mountains.

Ring any bells?

Shadow Of The Colossus

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

That's the one. I can't believe you got the name from that really **** description.
    /goes off to look at game on wiki.

EDIT: Just looked. Looks ****e. Thanks anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It's probably one of the best games ever released on the PS2 actually.

That's the one. I can't believe you got the name from that really **** description.
    /goes off to look at game on wiki.

May I ask, how the HELL did you come to that conclusion? It is one of the most original games artistically and gameplay-wise. It is class.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I agree with the above poster. It is one of the best looking PS2 games, and one of the most beautiful looking games, ever. Excellent gameplay, excellent soundtrack, excellent game. Buy it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Your loss. It's one of the best games of recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

shame about the framerate...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You, sir, are an idiot. You are missing out on one of the best games ever made.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Eh, it's not that great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Never understood how people could call it one of the best games ever. I've finished it, but only because I forced myself to. Didn't find any enjoyment at all in it and the whole thing was just kind of bland...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

i enjoyed it alot apart from the last boss
    i always felt dissappointed that there wasnt a secret boss on top of the templ, considdering it took soo long to get up there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

madrab wrote:
    i enjoyed it alot apart from the last boss
    i always felt dissappointed that there wasnt a secret boss on top of the templ, considdering it took soo long to get up there

I still haven't managed it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

tman wrote:
    shame about the framerate...

Framerate is fine, ive played alot worse. RTCW ont he xbox1 used to give me a headache its framerate was so jumpy. SOTC is fine, framerate slowdown in the boss battles even helps sometimes, and even adds a kind of slow mo effect at times, probably the only time ive ever seen framerate issues help a game!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Really??:confused: It's good? It looks so boring and awful. Only 14 fights and a load of riding.......I won't lie, it looks like a filler game. Good graphics can't make up for that.

Really??:confused: It's good? It looks so boring and awful. Only 14 fights and a load of riding.......I won't lie, it looks like a filler game. Good graphics can't make up for that.

It's not really that the graphics are that great, for me it's the originality of the the artists and game designers. I found the gameplay to be addictive, and ye'd think that the horse riding would be absolutely a waste of time but it adds to the game, the way ye search out the colossi. Ye feel very alone, which was their aim.

Now I'm not going to say it's the best game I've ever played but it is up there near the top.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's 16 boss fights that are some of the best and most impressive boss fights that you will ever encounter. You only have a sword, bow and arrows and your horse to take down each boss so each boss plays like a puzzle game with some platforming thrown in. It's unlike anything you have ever played. Don't be stupid and miss out on this game. Just look at the reviews on metacritic:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/wandaandthecolossus?q=shadow%20of%20the%20colossus

It amazes me that people can dismiss a game as amazing as shadow of the colossus while generic tripe floods the charts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'll add my name to those who consider Shadow of the Colossus one of the best games ever. I just can't say enough good things about that game. The 16 'boss battles' are more like 16 entire levels, and they are simply stunning experiences. The graphics, the controls, the music, the atmosphere, the puzzles and challenges you need to overcome, they add up to something greater than the sum of their parts.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    It amazes me that people can dismiss a game as amazing as shadow of the colossus while generic tripe floods the charts.

No accounting for taste. Okami and the Little Britain game came out the same week in the UK (and Ireland). Guess which sold way more? Hint: it's not Okami.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've really got to play Okami. Will finish Twilight Princess (f'ing brilliant game) and then borrow a friends ps2 to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

It won best game on the PS2 for '06 in the boards games awards.

It might not be to everyone's tastes, but it's a fantastic game in my opinion.

• Advertisement

If Zelda is to your tastes, then Okami most likely would be too, they're very similar. Maybe buffer it with something quick and easy though unless you're okay with following up one epic game with another :)

koneko wrote:
    If Zelda is to your tastes, then Okami most likely would be too, they're very similar. Maybe buffer it with something quick and easy though unless you're okay with following up one epic game with another :)

I'm beginning to think Okami is going to end up as a much bigger game than Zelda. There really is a huge amount of sub missions to fulfill and the game world is massive.

Looking forward to playing Okami properly. I played through the tutorial section and was in the first village, but just had too much going on to devote my time to it properly, so I've been saving it for Summer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'm beginning to think Okami is going to end up as a much bigger game than Zelda. There really is a huge amount of sub missions to fulfill and the game world is massive.

Yup it truly is massive. The game world itself seems to keep on expanding and expanding.
    By the way, stopped playing a while ago because I was stuck on one bit. Any takers?:
    Just after the size reduction-level in which you rescue the Emperor (?), and in the Imperial City: You have to try and catch a thief. Ive figured out how to light up the lamp but still can't find the thief himself. Can't seem to get past this bit at all, and the game effectively stalled because I couldnt advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

By the way, stopped playing a while ago because I was stuck on one bit. Any takers?:
    Just after the size reduction-level in which you rescue the Emperor (?), and in the Imperial City: You have to try and catch a thief. Ive figured out how to light up the lamp but still can't find the thief himself. Can't seem to get past this bit at all, and the game effectively stalled because I couldnt advance
    If I remember correctly the solution is
    to cut the rocks in the area, and he'll pop out of one of them
    . Also I think that's a side quest type thing, rather than part of the main plot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Crucifix wrote:
    If I remember correctly the solution is
    to cut the rocks in the area, and he'll pop out of one of them
    . Also I think that's a side quest type thing, rather than part of the main plot.

Yup that did the job thanks for that.
    Turns out the part I was stuck at more importantly was
    getting past the guards at the palace
    . Of course, after a month or two absence clearing the head, the solution turned out to be embarrasingly easy
    i.e. simply using the mist technique
    . Hate it when that happens :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

awwww... I thought this thread was going to be like that thread ages ago where people drew a scene from a game in mspaint and we had to guess what it was... that was a good thread...

But yeah great game, it would be a shame not to pick it up..

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

SoTC is one of the very best games of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Just adding my voice to the crowd.
    awesome game, one of the best I've ever played. Atmospheric, engrossing, packed with action and emotion. Also quite a manipulative game emotionally; I felt like a git taking down the beasties. Apart from being huge and majestic most of the earlier ones are quite benign, content to leave you alone.

• Advertisement

sound_wave wrote:
    awwww... I thought this thread was going to be like that thread ages ago where people drew a scene from a game in mspaint and we had to guess what it was... that was a good thread...

But yeah great game, it would be a shame not to pick it up..

sotc.JPG

:cool:

Advertisement