Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has anyone come across a Vista DRM issue?

• 29-05-2007 6:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭

I am setting up a media centre with Vista.
    Heres a quick question , does anyone have any experience on an actual DRM issue occuring with Vista.

Before release the Net was awash with how bad this was going to be , I am using it since march and have yet to come across a single issue , So was this all FUD , or is there any evidence of an actual verifiable DRM issue happening with Vista out there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

No never had an issues it was largely FUD and incompetence on Microsofts part in not explaining that it's DRM system worked in the same manner as XP's only long after the damage was done did they finally post a rebuttal on the Vista blog.

The only scenario I know for certain that applies DRM is the CableCard setup in Media Centre which is essentially a direct digital HD feed as DRM is mandated by the CableCard association. As we don't have or use CableCard in Europe it does not apply to us.

Though theoretically if any company where to offer a direct feed digital tuner this side of the pond e.g Sky it's almost certain they would demand DRM be applied to all recordings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

the only thing i've noticed is that DRM can sometimes use up a lot of resources ie disk read, ram and processor. but generally ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

In particular , with music files or DVD's has anyone come across Vista DRM downgrading the output to either an amp or a screen , which was reported before the launch as being an issue.

Or for that matter refusing to play media due to DRM.

I have an amp that always displays the bitrate on the start of a song , I have never seen it downgrade anything , same goes for movies , has anyone else come across any issues?

The main DRM problem tends to be for HD material. If the graphics card and monitor don't support HD content protection (HDCP), the software deliberately reduces the quality of the video output.

There was once talk of the infamous Palladium/NGSCB system but it never made it into Vista so that removed a lot of the DRM issues. If that came in or ever does come in then all hell would break loose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Thats the thing , ysee my HTPC card is not HDCP compliant , the TV is , but I can download Apple trailers and they play through Vista in full quality no problem , it also works with other HD content , no quality reduction at all !!

I know it was reported that it would reduce quality , I have just never seen it do it , yet !!

• Advertisement

mathias wrote:
    Thats the thing , ysee my HTPC card is not HDCP compliant , the TV is , but I can download Apple trailers and they play through Vista in full quality no problem , it also works with other HD content , no quality reduction at all !!

I know it was reported that it would reduce quality , I have just never seen it do it , yet !!
    Yep, I remember now that you said it, the vendor has to specify that flag in the media. And they must notify users that the flag is present, such as on the packaging. I don't think anyone has implemented it yet.

Advertisement