Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where does it all come from?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 7:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭

Right a disclaimer.

This should probably/maybe be in the Sex & Sexuality forum but I cant access it (don't know why) and also I believe people in this forum may have thought the matter over more and come up with a more thoughtful response.

So where do people believe their sexuality comes from. I believe that sexuality is not a matter of four groups of people Straight, Gay, Bi, Freaks;). I'd be more of the opinion that everyone has an amount of their sexuality influenced by everything they have encountered, men, women, children, animals, whatever!

So what do people think? Is your sexuality purely genetic? Some sort of Darwinian method to promote more reproductive tendencies in the populous. Maybe its situational. Whatever precise combination of life experiences you have lead. Maybe something else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Sounds like the opening monologue to a queer version of Heroes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Personally it was a case of the right person at the a time when I was ready to be open to the experience. For most people those two never line up. But thats a Bisexual take on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

enda1 wrote:
    This should probably/maybe be in the Sex & Sexuality forum but I cant access it
    Sex & Sexuality is limited to Subscribers only. I assume this is due to the whole over-18 thing.
    enda1 wrote:
    Straight, Gay, Bi, Freaks;).
    You'll go far in this forum.

I think it is circumstance entirely. When I was growing up, I found it tough to talk to girls, I was constantly ridiculed as being gay, so one day I thought maybe I am... Soon found that I liked guys a lot more than girls. I don't think it was genetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

snappieT wrote:
    You'll go far in this forum.

I said that is not what I believe...

But anyway over 18 thing makes sense I guess. Though if your teaching sex ed to kids in school should it not be free for anyone to view/post in this forum, but I guess thats a point for anther day.

As regards the question at hand, it seems that both you guys seem to think it was circumstantial. Interesting. I wonder if their are any cases of identical twins separated at birth having different orientations? Bit far fetched i guess.

For myself I suppose I was brought up as a straight kid and never thought any different so I guess thats why I am what I am. Wonder if circumstances were different is this still how I would be and do you think you could have been straight if you had had a different set of life experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

enda1 wrote:
    As regards the question at hand, it seems that both you guys seem to think it was circumstantial. Interesting. I wonder if their are any cases of identical twins separated at birth having different orientations? Bit far fetched i guess.

For myself I suppose I was brought up as a straight kid and never thought any different so I guess that's why I am what I am. Wonder if circumstances were different is this still how I would be and do you think you could have been straight if you had had a different set of life experiences?

A surprising large number of straight males I know have admitted at one point or another that they just "didn't know" and they might be Bisexual it usually passes without ever been acted on. I personally think that in order to really know your sexuality you have to at some point just say "I'm not sure". At least that way you can be somewhat unbiased in your assessment.

PS, the topics covered in the Sex & Sexuality forum are by an large not covered in Sex ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

The difference between a straight guy and a bisexual guy ? About 10 pints ;)

Boston is right though. Most guys have thought about it, especially through puberty - but in most cases it is never acted upon, just the same some gay guys have thought about sex with the opposite sex, but not acted upon it.

Sexuality is a multitude of shades.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Well, unlike snappieT or to a lesser extent Boston there, it wasn't like that for me at all.

Deep down I always knew I preferred guys but just couldn't bring myself to admit it, no one ever suspected I was gay, they used to think some of the guys I hung round with were gay and asked why did I would hang round with them heh (incidentally none of them were).

For me I had no gay outlet, I had to literally force myself to tell the first openly gay guy I met, who took me under his wing and introduced me to the Dublin Gay scene... and the rest is history!

There are times when I'm single, feeling sad and low* that I start to, albeit briefly, question my sexuality, wonder if it'd be easier if I just tried being straight, but then I cope the hell on and remember I <3 the cock! :P

*spice up your life!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I always liked girls. I thought everyone did. I didn't mind boys, but they never interested me like girls did.

I was brought up by parents who never made any pejorative remarks about who someone chose to love (age, race, gender, nationality), the main thing being to love someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭iBoards

Where does my sexuality come from ?

Thought about this a lot and the only answer I can give is...

I think the Stork that delivered me was big into 'musical theatre'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

azezil wrote:
    Deep down I always knew I preferred guys but just couldn't bring myself to admit it, no one ever suspected I was gay.

For me I had no gay outlet

i feel the same way, i always knew i was gay but hated the steriotypical view people have on gay people, ie. Graham Norton, shirly temple bar etc... im not trying to offend anyone and im not saying i dislike "gay acting" people im just saying not all gay people "act gay" for example i have 2 openly gay friends, 1 is "straight acting" like myself and the other is your steriotipical gay. as for having no gay outlet i didnt either, i first came out to a close college friend who was incredibly understanding but because i felt so awkward and uncomfortable saying it i havent had the courage to tell anyone else since....

i think that for most people sexuality is decided in the womb. for others i rekon its their eperiances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 monkfish

Interesting discussion. My money is that the scale "G-B-S" is just crap, and doesn't describe any clear dimension of sexuality. I'm S, based on my lizard brain responses, but I've often had the chance to indulge in G and B situations, and enjoyed 'em. I just don't feel labelled at all by the points on that scale.

I actually have a strong theory on this, on http://pworldrworld.com. Haven't developed the sexuality bit enough yet.

Advertisement