Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mater Harney U-Turn?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 7:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

After being so adamant about her Mater Hospital project the great lady is considering an appeasement. Great stuff.

Article taken from Irish Times Monday, 28 May 2007

Interesting...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

to right another stupid idea by the outgoing government to put a childrens hospital in the centre of a gridlocked city with no parking, just to stick it in Berties backyard.

Snake ;)

I was going to make a joke about the difficulty of Mary Harney doing a U turn but I think I'll take the high road and just say it was the right decision. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It seems reasonable to set up an independent group of consultants to investigate the matter and then to act on their recommendations. That it happened back in March but wasn't made public before now is interesting. I wouldn't call it a U-turn though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

nesf wrote:
    It seems reasonable to set up an independent group of consultants to investigate the matter and then to act on their recommendations. That it happened back in March but wasn't made public before now is interesting. I wouldn't call it a U-turn though.

I would if the decision was made to go ahead beforehand. There was a confrontation with Crumlon and Tallaght was there not?

Heinrich wrote:
    I would if the decision was made to go ahead beforehand. There was a confrontation with Crumlon and Tallaght was there not?

I'd read it as a reaction to that. This looks like a compromise with them which would be the correct way to go about things imho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

nesf wrote:
    I'd read it as a reaction to that. This looks like a compromise with them which would be the correct way to go about things imho.

Your compromise = my u-turn. I watched some very vehement debates in the Dail over this issue. No surrender comes to mind!:rolleyes:

Heinrich wrote:
    Your compromise = my u-turn. I watched some very vehement debates in the Dail over this issue. No surrender comes to mind!:rolleyes:

I'm really not seeing what your problem with this is. Negotiations are all about compromise i.e. both sides took opposing positions at the beginning and through talks agree a compromise that's agreeable to both sides. Both sides from the looks of things went in talking up a "harder" position than they were actually willing to settle for, standard negotiation practice tbh.

Advertisement