Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cauliflower wilting and dieing

Options
  • 29-05-2007 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭

I have some cauliflower planted in ridges. All gowing nicely until about 4 days ago when it has started wilting. Thought it might be lack of water.
    Have been watering the last few days to no avail. Did a little digging and the ground is damp about 2.5m down.

I have loads of other vegetables planted (onions, cabbage, lettuce etc) and they have no issues.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

amen wrote:
    Did a little digging and the ground is damp about 2.5m down.
    How were my cousins in Australia? :D

amen, the wilting is more than likely water related.
    Keep the plants watered, as anything that slows down this vegetables growth will prevent development of the curds/head.

There is a slight, but rare possibility that the wilting could be caused by a disease called Verticillium wilt.
    Lack of, or too much water can actually accelerate this
    The telltale signs of this are that the lower leaves of the cauliflower plant turn yellow and wilt away to brown.
    If you think your cauliflower has Verticillium wilt, it would be best just to dispose of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

could the frost over the past few nights have anything to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

don't think its frost related started before that
    if might be Verticillium wilt
    some of the leaves are turing yellow
    is it treatable?

on a happied note I pulled my first winter onions today
    nice and big blubs yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

amen wrote:
    don't think its frost related started before that
    if might be Verticillium wilt
    some of the leaves are turing yellow
    is it treatable?

In the short term, for Verticillium wilt, no (this crop).
    Just avoid planting cauliflower, broccoli, tomatoes etc, in that area for at least 3 years.
    As I said, it may just be a water shortage of water issue though.

Verticillium wilt will show itself by changing the lower (older) leaves to a yellow or brown colour between the leaf veins. Roots when dug up will be slightly streaked or discoloured brown beneath the surface.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It could be chafer grubs, Pull a wilted plant and check for damaged roots also check for fat grubs in the soil.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement