Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blue Screen Of Death

• 29-05-2007 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

Well my laptop has officially pissed me off enough for me to consider radical action.

The problem : Severe overheating. I have downloaded speedfan.exe to monitor the temperature of my laptop and once the local tempeture monitor hits 40 degrees C it time to either shut down or wait a few minutes for the blue screen shut down. This means you can only use the laptop for 1 hour at a time.

Cause: Laptop was a 2.8ghz 512mb RAM machine but the previous owner upgraded to 2GB RAM which I think is the cause of the problem. The extra heat from the RAM banks might be the cause but also I am told that if the new RAM is running at a different speed to the orignal RAM then that also could be causing the probelm. (anyone know how to check this?)

I have bought 3 fans cooler pad from ebay which helps a little but not much. And I also cleaned out all the dust from the internal fans.

Remaining options:
    1. Remove additional RAM and just keep the original 512MB.
    2. Buy Heatsink Paste and open up the laptop and see if I can reduce the CPU heat that way. Or something like this http://www.amazon.com/Thermal-Pad-Replacing-Heatsink-Paste/dp/B0009B0K2I
    3. ???

I don't really want to do any of the above because I don't know how to do it myself and I don't want to spend money unless I know its going to fix the problem.

Help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

i would doubt it is the ram causing the problem:

More likely that the internal fan in the laptop is not functioning properly. Can you hear it turn on??
    Also possible is a faulty temperature sensor or bas curculation.

What type of laptop is it and where are you using it?
    If its on a desk ensure that the rubber feet are still on the base and there is nothing under the laptop ensuring good air flow underneath the laptop.

if its on your lap or bed or anything like that it is possible that the airflow is being restricted.

it also could be a faulty processor or possible the processor is overclocked.

What specifically is the error you're getting on the BSOD and what make/model laptop is it?

if its a dell there should be bootable diagnostics that you can run and it will check the fan and processor and ram etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Its a fujitsu siemens Amilo D 7850 laptop, The fan is working, It whirrs into life every 2-3 mins.

I have the laptop sitting on the 3-fan cooler exactly like this one - http://www.globalsourcesdirect.com/catalog/TT-NB-02.jpg - So I don;t think air flow is the problem.

I tried to open up the laptop to see if there was any dust around the CPU but there is a metal plate over the CD drive, CPU etc. that I don't know how to remove.

One of the BSOD errors was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL but usually the blue screen flashes up for 2 seconds and the laptop auto-restarts.

definitly due to the cpu overheating:
    http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.html

only bad ram causes this problem, ie faulty ram, not overheating.

Something to do with your processor imo.

I take it the machine is out of warranty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yeah the warrany is up, Any ideas how to fix it?

I have downloaded this - http://www.download.com/Memory-Diagnostic/3000-2094_4-10629428.html?tag=lst-0-5 - but I am not sure how to use it? Do I just burn it onto a CD and then leave the cd in the drive when I boot up the laptop?

read the documentation, looks like you may be able to run it from within windows.
    20. My Amilo is out of Warranty and doing it again !!

Many early Amilo notebooks are now outside their warranty period.

We can advise that any repairs effected by our warranty centres are guaranteed for ninety days .

Outside of our warranty period, you are at liberty to have diagnostics and repairs done by an agency of your choosing- many high street computer stores offer excellent services, and engineers advertise their services in such places as the Yellow Pages. You are not obliged to have our repairers work on your computer, nor to accept their quote for your business.

19. My Amilo D shuts down for no reason

The Amilo D is fitted with an Intel Desktop CPU. Its heat disapation is by Heatpipe and uses a fan to move coller air through the chassis.
    it is possible that a computer will turn itself off if it gets too hot: this is an act of self preservation, as the CPU can be damaged by excessive heat. The cause of the over-heating can be many fold- the position of the machine in use( direct sunlight, over radiator), the ambient environmental temperature, the fan being blocked if the computer is not placed on a well ventilated hard surface, and so on. These problems can happen to any portable computer, regardless of manufacturer, and we take deliberate steps during the design process to minimise their effect on our product.

Once the CPU has returned to an acceptable temperature, the computer is ready for use again. If it had not turned itself off and cooled down, the computer would be damaged. Please ensure that none of the above environmental issues are affecting your computer before you pursue a repair option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I tried to open up the laptop to see if there was any dust around the CPU but there is a metal plate over the CD drive, CPU etc. that I don't know how to remove.

Generally speaking, these things are relatively easy to remove.

Just remember a few basic points:
    • Don't force anything. If it doesn't pop in/out, it must be screwed in somewhere.
    • Earth yourself regularly. I usually do these kind of things in the kitchen beside the radiator and give it a reassuring tip every so often.
    • Make a note of where/how things fit as you are removing them, it's just a big jigsaw really.
    I would start by removing the extra RAM to prove it is not the problem.

It certainly sounds like excessive heat is the problem, but I doubt it is the RAM.

Advertisement