Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identifying source of crash

• 29-05-2007 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

My system crashed in the middle of playing a game last night - First time it's happened, and has only happened since I OC'd my system, so I assumed that was the answer naturally. But is there anymore specific way of pinpointing the problem? I had it only from 2.13Ghz to 2.6, but the only way I can do it is by raising the fsb, as on my board (MSI Neo-F) I can't change any voltage to the cpu, or the multiplier.

I had it 330x8.0, and it seemed ok - I ran Orthos for a few hours and it ran fine, with temperatures not exceeding 60, idling 28-33, so I assumed it was safe, so that's why I'm not positive it was the cpu, as it seemed to run these intensive tests OK. Is it crashing because it needs higher voltage that I can't give? If so, why are tests like orthos ok but not games?
    An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom1 during a paging operation.

Event manager shows nothing unusual so it's not like my video driver stopped, and my card is set to vpu recover so if it was overheating, it'd just restart. Which it isn't anyway, but just to state that. However it does state the above - but I don't know if that would affect any games, as it appears at least once a week in the event log....but last night, conincidence or not, it appeared the same time as my game crashed in a stuck screen and audio loop. The game was not run from the drive however.....

Any insight appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

those CdRom1 errors are very common, so first off I wouldn't be too concerned with it.

Next, it would help if you can post your spec in your sig or in a reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

E6400, at 2.4Ghz now, was at 2.6
    2Gb Ram
    x1800xt

Again, it seems that the OC is logically the reason behind it, but when it seemed to be doing ok on Orthos I assumed it was OK for any purpose...

Advertisement