Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Ring Road Development

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

fricatus wrote: »
    Nice bit of stereotyping there Ballybrickenman. :(

I am in that kind of mood:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Mini wrote: »
    It may be a bit out of the way, but it is still a good idea if it brings investment in to Waterford. Investment which is seriously lacking at the moment.
    yes but investment at the cost of damaging the city centre? which everyone is complaining about saying the city centre is dying and is like a ghost town, while at the same time they want developments on the outer ring road, which will discourage people from going into the city centre.
    Mini wrote: »
    As was said in the article at the start of this thread, alot of waterford people are bringing their business outside of the county - so this issue needs to be addressed. I for one, am one of those people who brings my business outside of Waterford, I can't remember the last time i went shopping in Waterford, if we got some of the bigger and better stores in Waterford it would revitalise the county.
    that's a horrible attitude to have in fairness. why don't you support your own? maybe if you kept your business in waterford the city centre would be in better shape. and tell me what the hell you get elsewhere that you can't get in waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

yes but investment at the cost of damaging the city centre? which everyone is complaining about saying the city centre is dying and is like a ghost town, while at the same time they want developments on the outer ring road, which will discourage people from going into the city centre.

Yes, the city centre may be a ghost town but for two reasons, one the planning and zoning of the town. Waterford is too small a town to be completly pedestrianised down the centre.
    Secondly, the quality of shops that want to come to Waterford can't because of the above.
    I haven't made Waterford a ghost town - the planning in this county has.
    that's a horrible attitude to have in fairness. why don't you support your own? maybe if you kept your business in waterford the city centre would be in better shape. and tell me what the hell you get elsewhere that you can't get in waterford?

I would keep Waterford in business if the a: the shops where I shop were in Waterford and B: the shops that we did have had the same quality that they have in stores elsewhere.

Shops that we don't have and that I would shop regulary in are Marks and Spencers, Easons, Virgin Megastore, house of Fraser, BT and boots to name but a few.

Yes I am aware that we have a boots in Waterford but have you seen the difference in stock between a boots in Dublin and a boots in Waterford? There is no contest. Dunnes for example different quality of stock elsewhere. Debehams same story.

This can be repeated for every chain store that it is in Waterford, the smaller stores that open in Waterford independently are great and do carry good stock. But those stores are few and far between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Out of town development reduces the density of cities, makes them car dependent, and makes services inefficient. And yeah, when the city centre is weak, it makes it weaker.

The fact that you have to get into a car to go to Eddie Rockets says it all.

Advertisement