Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The tunnel

Options
  • 29-05-2007 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

So did they ever catch the buffoon from last week who wrecked the tunnel? I heard on 96 the other morning that it's going to cost about a million to fix it up - who's going to pay for that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I'm guessing that it will be you and me paying for it through tax. I wonder if they catch the guy can they deduct his wages for the next 100 years. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

They go after the guys insurance, like they did last time it happened.
    I'd love to see next years premium, with a million quid claim against him.

I didn't know that. Were they sucessful the last time? I hope they catch whoever did it.

They already caught him.
    He's a non-national, claimed he couldn't read the warning signs.

So once he's insured everything is fine and dandy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

deRanged wrote:
    They already caught him.

The sign posts have graphics that illustrate max height, as well as words stating it. His excuse doesn't work. I'd say he's either an idiot or more likely was willing to risk driving into the tunnel as he knew the consequences would mean very little to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The company's insurance has to pay out so why would he care. The fact that he kept driving shows how much regard he had for the truck and the state of the tunnel. The tunnel admins claim to use internationally recognised signing so he's no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ya when it happened last time didn't the guy who clobbered the tunnel's company have to pay? i presume that this will happen this time too...

On an aside, all the people who got held up in traffic and stuff last thursday, could they sue for loss of earnings (if they were late for work) and stuff like the extra stress that was put on them, plus the cost of all the extra petrol that was burned?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

deRanged wrote:
    They already caught him.

AFAIK there's a warning system in place in the tunnel, which when triggered, sets off a siren or warning signal or something like that.

dudara wrote:
    AFAIK there's a warning system in place in the tunnel, which when triggered, sets off a siren or warning signal or something like that.

Yeah, they said that in the paper. Apparently it opens extra signs too, I guess he couldn't read them either. What puzzles me is how he just kept going - there must have been some racket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

was thinking the same... before you go into the tunnel there's a height sensor on poles that send the whole opening to the tunnel barmy like a christmas tree if a vehicle is too tall.. Guess the guy is just a shining example of idiocy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

rymus wrote:
    was thinking the same... before you go into the tunnel there's a height sensor on poles that send the whole opening to the tunnel barmy like a christmas tree if a vehicle is too tall.. Guess the guy is just a shining example of idiocy.

How do we enable this lightshow? Retractable somethings or others on a van? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

aye, that'd do it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

and they say us Irish are cowboys............

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The advance warning signs incorporate a margin of error of about 15cm, i.e. if the vehicle is able to get through with an inch or so to spare, the warning system will still activate. I'd say he thought that he would still get through and then panicked after striking the first light and then kept going.

The tunnel authorities are reluctant to place a rigid height barrier on the approach to the tunnel in case a driver hits it at speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

the driver was a total chancer, I heard that the cops found the truck/crane thingy first and the driver legged it on foot apparently (can anyone confirm this??).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

The tunnel authorities are reluctant to place a rigid height barrier on the approach to the tunnel in case a driver hits it at speed.

I also heard that but surely the arguement at this stage has to be what happened to the cars behind the truck with falling debris. Debris strewn on the road with no room to avoid it in the tunnel.

Reckon a RSJ would suit better on both approaches. Certainly in terms of cost saving when replacing the lights and sprinklers, lost revenue, traffic congestion ....etc......

Think its time for a rethink. This is the second time it has happened isn't it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I was only saying yesterday, I can't understand why they don't have one of those clapper things somewhere on the route into the tunnel, one of those yokes that hangs over the road, with signs hung on chains so they make a godawful racket if you hit them. An RSJ'd do it too of course, but I don't think there's even a need for it.

They have those red pipework things on every single building site now, and the council / civil servants don't have the brains to come up with something similar?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

dahamsta wrote:
    I was only saying yesterday, I can't understand why they don't have one of those clapper things somewhere on the route into the tunnel, one of those yokes that hangs over the road, with signs hung on chains so they make a godawful racket if you hit them. An RSJ'd do it too of course, but I don't think there's even a need for it.

They have those red pipework things on every single building site now, and the council / civil servants don't have the brains to come up with something similar?

adam
    they cant cos they are too thick

dahamsta wrote:
    council / civil servants don't have the brains to come up with something similar?
    patbundy wrote:
    they cant cos they are too thick
    In all fairness lads/ladies, I'm sure the qualified engineers/contractors etc. employed by the relevant authorities have studied all the permutations involved and know much more about it and have a better insight than we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

In all fairness lads/ladies, I'm sure the qualified engineers/contractors etc. employed by the relevant authorities have studied all the permutations involved and know much more about it and have a better insight than we do.
    have you seen what they have done with the roads on the northside lately.all they done is create crash zones,not joking bud,what they have done is dangerous

They're not thick by any stretch of the imagination. Obtuse, maybe, but that's different. Wishbone Ash, a fiver says something will be implemented to stop this happening again. It may take two years, but it'll happen. I'll bump this thread then to prove my point.

(I was discussing this with someone today and an even simpler method came up: light breaker across the road, at the maximum acceptable height of the tunnel, flashing lights where the pols put their posters, horns and bells and whistles if necessary. Plenty of options, none of them implemented.)

adam

dahamsta wrote:
    I was discussing this with someone today and an even simpler method came up: light breaker across the road, at the maximum acceptable height of the tunnel, flashing lights where the pols put their posters, horns and bells and whistles if necessary. Plenty of options, none of them implemented.)
    But the Lee tunnel has a warning system! If you approach in an oversized truck you get flashing signs etc. and are diverted to an alternative route (same for the Dublin Port Tunnel).

Obviously it wasn't flashy enough. This is what you want to catch their attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeak0yVasp4

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,957 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

dahamsta wrote:
    Obviously it wasn't flashy enough. This is what you want to catch their attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeak0yVasp4

adam
    :eek: :eek:

I have a slight feeling that they won't stick one of them in front of the entrance to the tunnel...

They should. Natural selection rocks.

Advertisement