Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What in Hells name is the Cat at

Options
  • 29-05-2007 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭

I have a cat who is a fine cat and looks after herself no bother at all.

However she has one failing she loves eating Tinsel or Ribbon from wrapping paper. Now this all very well except for the fact that it makes her puke.

So every once in a while the cat finds ribbon eats tons of it and promptly squels like a wee pig then throws up...

Has anybody else seen this behaviour in a cat? Or could hazard a guess why she does this ??

Details
    Shes about 7 and is spade and does not leave the house ..ever.
    Activitys include lying around all the live long day.
    She does not have a regular meal time the bowl is left full and she eats when she wants. She has a regular food intake and is in no way over weight.
    She is nervous to the piont where she will not be held at all for more than 5 seconds , but is comfortable with people she knows (lie beside on top of you etc) as long as the dont try and lift her.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Its because cats eat blades of grass to assist with their diet. Tinsel looks like it so the cat snarfs it. Get him a plant pot with grass growing in it. The tall stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

You should get her a few dangly toys - especially those with catnip - that'll keep her entertained for a while, tire her out.

Be careful of her eating stuff though - cats love elastic bands, for example, but they get into the cats gut... and don't come back out. Very nasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Theres an Idea, grass

oh and as for the toys she does not really play a lot at all , she acts like its sort of beneath her .

She looks at the dangly toy with a sort of "what are you at" expression. she does love playing with the top of a milk bottle.

Zambia232 wrote:
    Theres an Idea, grass

oh and as for the toys she does not really play a lot at all , she acts like its sort of beneath her .

She looks at the dangly toy with a sort of "what are you at" expression. she does love playing with the top of a milk bottle.

Ah yes, spend 10 euro getting them a super toy and they go back to playing with lids and foil balls.
    I cant drink water out of a bottle without mine meowing for the lid.
    God I am glad he is back.

I was cleaning up the place when mine vanished and found a massive hoard under the bed.
    Foil balls, about 30 lids, a lightbulb, 3 catnip mice and the wheels off my skates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Mine loves those foil balls and knocks it from one end of the room to the other on the kitchen floor as it makes a lot of noise. They like clothes pegs as well and straws, they are easy to please. :) We have a pot of cat grass that they chew on from time to time in the house as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I've a fine pot of cat grass sitting in the window, and do they partake of the succulent blades of grass? Oh no, of course not, only outside grass will do or one of my other plants with rather sharpish blades .. no harm done so far :D, to plant or cats :D

morgana wrote:
    I've a fine pot of cat grass sitting in the window, and do they partake of the succulent blades of grass? Oh no, of course not, only outside grass will do or one of my other plants with rather sharpish blades .. no harm done so far :D, to plant or cats :D

We actually thought maybe she was trying to scratch her mouth or something as she tends to chomp on the edges. I am fierce curious to see will this cat grass work ? <-- one of those sentences you never thought you would say...

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

Our rescue cat loves licking the ground esp if its dusty. We were getting tiles in our kitchen and I heard him crunching away, turned out he was eating the bits that were ground off :rolleyes: He will lick you, other cats, the dog, the ground but doesnt lick himself except for one bit on his back which is bald, hence he is filthy and im surprised we havent been reported bec he looks so neglected -he isnt btw!!!
    His latest is that he eats the dogs food, the cat gets dry biscuits and so does the dog but he eats it anyway and then throws up. Weird creatures ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Zambia232 wrote:
    I am fierce curious to see will this cat grass work ? <-- one of those sentences you never thought you would say...

I might just work as she is an indooor cat and has no access to other sources of grass. If not, you're left with a pot of grass which actually looks quite attractive all by itself :D - and you can pass it off as exotic Japanese meditation plant imported at great expense :):D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You may have to start leaving silage out for her Zambia :D

Our cats scoff grass frequently so I think this could be the cause alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

try and keep the tinsel out of her reach, it's very dangerous if she doesn't throw it up!

Garth wrote:
    try and keep the tinsel out of her reach, it's very dangerous if she doesn't throw it up!

How so ?

we do its only occasionally she finds a present with the stuff on

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

It can cause intestinal blockages which can be fatal. There are usually warnings about that sort of thing around xmas time...

Advertisement