Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insuring a NI reg car down south?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Complicated situation here..... Currently living in meath but working in Belfast for the next 2 months and then moving up there permanently . My question is can i insure the NI reg car down south for 2 months before i have an address up there? It just seems silly buying 2 cars in the space of 2 months!!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Do you have a southern reg car insured at the moment? If you do then a temp sub could be done, however you wont be issued an insurance cert.
    If you dont have car insurance, no-one will take you on for a 2 mth period on a northern reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 netpost

I have a southern reg car insured at the minute but its on its last legs so hence I need a new car quick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Ring your insurance company, explain the situation & ask for a 60 day temp sub. As soon as you have an address in Belfast, take out insurance up there & cancel your insurance down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

You might find it easier to do it the other way around - insure the car in the North and tell them you need it covered specifically for Meath for a certain time. They'll have no problem with it, but might add a % to the fee.

That's the way I do it. You won't get a NI car insured by a southern company for long/medium term in the north, but the insurance companies in the north have no problem with it.

EDIT: just re-read what you're asking, and I think it's what I said in my first paragraph :D

The AA are good up North, as are Endsleigh (and very approachable, that crowd)

So far endsleigh said they wont insure me until i have a permanent address and axa said they would but there was a problem with the model of the car as it is a convertible and you have to be over 25yrs......best keep on looking!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

netpost wrote:
    Complicated situation here..... Currently living in meath but working in Belfast for the next 2 months and then moving up there permanently . My question is can i insure the NI reg car down south for 2 months before i have an address up there? It just seems silly buying 2 cars in the space of 2 months!!! Thanks

Don't forget if your still living down here you can't technically drive the Nortern reg car.

Can you not just transfer your insurance to the Northern car and drive as is? I assume you'll be coming back down to Meath weekly.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Keith C wrote:
    however you wont be issued an insurance cert.

I got my insurance switch to a English reg (bike) and got a cert sent out with the English reg detail's.

Thanks "Dub13". Who did you get insured with? and thats without registering the bike up north?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

I'm nearly sure most companies will insure an english or NI reg car. I have heard of guys insuring cars on the chassy no. The only thing to worry about would be customs but you should get away with it for 2 months. I know of several people driving english reg cars insured with Irish co's at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

netpost wrote:
    Thanks "Dub13". Who did you get insured with? and thats without registering the bike up north?

I was insured with Aon,I bought a bike in London and needed to drive it back.When I got it back for VRT reason's I kept the English reg for a while,no problem getting insured they only wanted the reg number and rang me a few days later for more info such as chassy no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

i'm here in ireland on a temporary basis and although i have an irish reg car i also brought across my uk reg car which i have insured with axa. there was no problems insuring it here but they did ask for the corresponding chassis number as well as the registration number for the insurance cert. you should have no problem with ni reg as far as im concerned.

Advertisement