Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing ISP

Options
  • 29-05-2007 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Im currently with Esat BT, have been for about 2 years or so. Up until a few months ago I was really happy with my connection but recently its gotten **** slow in the evening. I'm looking to change ISP and maybe a larger connection too. Im on 2 Meg at the moment.

Whats the story with Magnet, I see they offer telephone services too, and i right in thinking that its voip? Anyone used them before? what are they like?

Who else should be in the running for my money?
    Im based in North Dublin close to the city centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

Magnets Voice service is VoIP, the Modem you receive has 2 phone ports built into it already. ( 2 seperate lines, by default only line 1 is enabled with your account with a new geographic number unless you request your existing eircom number to be ported over when you order, you cannot request it after the initial unbundling order is submitted to eircom )

In general we use the Magnet Voice for incoming calls on our old number only, and we use BLueface VoIP for all outgoing calls. Havent noticed any problems while using the Magnet Voice service though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Just looking there and im not sure if i can recieve magnet where i am, any other decent isp's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Magnet don't do residential packages any more for new customers. They only offer Fibre to the Home for new developments and Business Broadband packages.

I'd consider Smart if available in your exchange, as they have the deals - €39.99 for 4Mb/256Kb up to €49.99 for 8Mb/512Kb all including eircom's line rental

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Magnet DO offer to the residential market through LLU but only if your exchange has already been unbundled. They just don't market or advertise it to the residential market anymore as it costs too much money for too little return.

Unless their stance has changed over the past 3 months or so.

This is almost the same Fable as Smart are gone out of buiness... Sad...

OP, if you can get Smart, go for it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And before ordering any faster packages make sure your line is up to it as otherwise you are only buying trouble for yourself. Do you know what your line stats are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Just a warning there OP.
    ESAT will never let you go. I had 6 months of bills after cancelling and disconnecting the service when I left my old house. The new person in the house after me could not switch to his provider due to esat locking the line.
    Took about 30 calls and a demand to remove my credit card details from their system. Even after that there were three more bills asking for money.
    Once they were rectified, I got two more bills asking for €0 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Esat will get a dragon uppercut if they act the bollocks

Advertisement