Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking dogs on hot days?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I have often seen people take their dogs for walks in the hot midday sun and wondered that while the human owner enjoys it the poor dog seems to be in agony due to overheating.

I know some people may not have the time to wait until the weather cools to walks their dogs but don't think its a good idea to take the dog for a walk in too much heat.

I notice my dogs just like to sleep in the sun and then in the cool evenings they are like a swarm of mad ants jumping around, play fighting etc.

Anyone else any thoughts on this? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

i think it can be breed dependent and also the age of the dog is a factor. i know my dog is like urs and much prefares the evening time for intense activity or early morning. I have seen a water bottle that has a flip out bottom that allows the dog to take a drink but only holds about 500-750mls max so depending on length of walk and dog size ya might need too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You have to consider the dog when walking it in hot weather. Mine is a shaggy dog and although she is clipped she hates the hot weather. I go to our local park where it is shady and she can paddle in the river. I also carry water and a small plastic saucer for her to have a drink. Access to water is very important as they can dehydrate fast in hot weather. Like the other dogs mentioned above she comes alive late in the evening when it is cooler.

Also at this time of year some people think it's ok to leave their dogs in a car while they do some shopping. Twice last year I encountered dogs in cars at the supermarket car park and had to call security to get the owner to return. When they did return I was told "sure I had the windows lowered and I was only going to be ten minutes". :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

My dachshund loves the heat, but he has next to no coat. He'll happily run around on a hot day with the tongue stickin out. In winter he sleeps ON the radiator FFS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭frizzefreckles

We were minding my OHs parents dog last summer when it was extremely hot. He's a Tibetan Spaniel and just slept all day in the shade and then around 9 or 10 in the evening we'd bring him out for a walk while it was cooler. It would have been cruel of us to try and drag him around any earlier than that. I think dogs that have a heavy coat should be left somewhere nice and cool when the weather is hot.
    We've just got our own puppy in the last week but I can see us doing something similar with her later in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'd say it depends on the dog, if he likes water a splash in a river wold cool him off maybe.

Just never, ever leave a dog in a car on a hot day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This being Ireland and not the south of Spain, I wouldn't be too worried about the occasional walk in the sun. Make sure there's water and some shade every now and then and it shoudn't be a problem.

Dogs in cars on the other hand ...

Even when it's only 20 degrees outside, in full sunshine a car can turn into an oven within minutes ...cracking the windows a bit will not change that significantly.

Advertisement