Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car tax online

Options
  • 29-05-2007 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I brought my car over from the uk in march and after i registered it, i was able to tax it online using the last six digits of the chassis number as the pin code. the tax is up but i haven't received a renewal notice yet, i suppose this is because the car isn't on the system too long.

is there a way i can tax it online without a renewal pin? going to the tax office is out of my way big time.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Strange to say but my tax is up at the end of this month and I didn't get a renewal notice yet either.....

Maybe there is some delay?

Mik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Just did mine the other day online, disc came in post 2 days later, very speedy & handy, although my road tax for the year is nearly as much as my car insurance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

if you email them at motortax@environ.ie with you car details they should be able to send you a pin within a day or two.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mik_da_man wrote:
    Strange to say but my tax is up at the end of this month and I didn't get a renewal notice yet either.....

Maybe there is some delay?

Mik
    I'm in the same boat as well. Then again, I never received my polling card so perhaps letters of officialdom don't like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

yes, it works just like a new one, Reg no and last 6 digits of VIN as PIN. I've just reg'd and taxed 2 last Friday like this, so nothing special involved......bloody handy !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

for the record,
    i emailed and requested a new pin number. i got the usual civil servant speak

Dear Mr,

A renewal notice was issued to you around the middle of May. (how do you..know- i mean really know?) We are
    unable to issue PIN numbers by email or phone for security reasons
    (just in case someone should pay my tax for me?). PIN
    Numbers are only issued through a renewal notice. I have issued a new
    renewal notice to you today. Its important to note that this could take
    a 5 days
    (i bet originally this would have said a few days but since they love being the bearer of bad news, 5 was put there instead) between processing and postage.

conclusion: a very speedy message to say our mistake, your fault, now you can only wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

sorry cantdecide, I was able to get my pin number off them a while ago by emailing them. Must have got them on a good day. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

cantdecide wrote:
    for the record,
    i emailed and requested a new pin number. i got the usual civil servant speak

Dear Mr,

A renewal notice was issued to you around the middle of May. (how do you..know- i mean really know?) We are
    unable to issue PIN numbers by email or phone for security reasons
    (just in case someone should pay my tax for me?). PIN
    Numbers are only issued through a renewal notice. I have issued a new
    renewal notice to you today. Its important to note that this could take
    a 5 days
    (i bet originally this would have said a few days but since they love being the bearer of bad news, 5 was put there instead) between processing and postage.

conclusion: a very speedy message to say our mistake, your fault, now you can only wait.

I think in recent years that the people dealing with car tax are so much better than in the past. The online system is brilliant and you get your disc in a couple of days. The old system where you had to go into the motor tax office yourself or send your logbook in the post with a cheque was a nightmare. Just wish my car tax wasn't more expensive as my insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭TommyK

cantdecide wrote:
    We are unable to issue PIN numbers by email or phone for security reasons [/SIZE](just in case someone should pay my tax for me?).

They don't care who pays your tax. They do care if the Gardai come knocking asking how was Johnny Stalker able to get his murder victims name and address.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Johnny Stalker! uses the online motor tax system to find his victims.

I can see the headlines!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Keith C wrote:
    my road tax for the year is nearly as much as my car insurance!!!
    Lucky you! My annual tax is twice my insurance! :(

Advertisement