Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to invest 130K for 1 - 2 years

Options
  • 29-05-2007 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

I have 130K to invest for 1 - 2 years.
    Where is the safest and best place to do it?

It there any place that would give me near 10% of a return if I guarenteed not to withdraw it for a certain time limit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

ncit9933 wrote:
    I have 130K to invest for 1 - 2 years.
    Where is the safest and best place to do it?

It there any place that would give me near 10% of a return if I guarenteed not to withdraw it for a certain time limit?
    10% pa?! Not a chance.

Your best bet is Anglo Irish Bank 30 day saver ( 4.25%pa.) or Northern Rock. (not sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

what are fund accounts and what's the risk with them and average return?

ncit9933 wrote:
    what are fund accounts and what's the risk with them and average return?
    It's where the account manager invests the money you put in your account in a fund. That fund could be based on anything from bonds (lower risk) to big cap US/EU equities (higher risk) to emerging market equities (v high risk) and various combinations.

Generally risk and return are related and varies as I mentioned.

Eg the average for the S&P500 (biggest 500 companies in the US) since 1975 has been 9.9% annualised with a standard deviation of 14.9. (This means that 68% of the time your return will be between -5% and +25%)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If it's only for one or two years then something like one of Rabo's investment funds might be suitable.

None of the returns are guaranteed, but due to the low entry and exit fees (0.75%) which makes a large difference especially over a short term, and perhaps by spreading your money across a few funds you should be able to beat the 4% savings plan rates.
    http://www.rabodirect.ie/investments/fund_details/selection_growth.asp

ressem wrote:
    If it's only for one or two years then something like one of Rabo's investment funds might be suitable.

It might return more than 4% but also it might not. As I stated above there is quite a spread on a relatively "safe" equity investment in 1 year.
    If you cannot face losing any of your capital, steer clear of equity funds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement