Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand negotiating

Options
  • 29-05-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy first second hand car and wondered if I go in to a dealer with no trade in and cash what should I expect if anything to be knocked of a price of say 9500 for an Octavia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

if it was me with cash i'd aim for 10%. dealers love to get rid of cars without a trade in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

1/. Ask how much for straight cash sale.

2/. Go from there. If salesman says €9000, say "that's beyond my budget". Can you do any better?

3/. Tell him you've seen several Octavias - younger/lower mileage/better condition than his at that money. Beat him down some more. If he won't move enough just leave politely - he won't want to let you go.

4/. Ask for new mats, mud flaps, road tax, a service and valet, and finally a tank of fuel.

Above all be friendly, but assertive. Keep control of the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

x2 for get everything you can...
    Also, have a good idea of the value of the car you are getting... some dealers are way overpriced to start with, and 10% may not be enough!

Best of luck with the hunting... enjoy it anyway!:)

Advertisement