Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats is a LLB(HONS)

Options
  • 29-05-2007 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have had a tough few years, but I went to FAS last year and trained to be a legal secretary, landed an excellent job and just a month ago landed another excellent job on better money.

I thought I would apply to a law school and sit a law degree at night. I filled out the application form a few weeks ago and last nightwhen I got home there was a letter saying I had been offered a place on the LLB (HONS) in Irish Law.

So Im delighted and ring everyone I know, and then my friend says today, ' I think you need a degree prior to doing that course'.

Is this true? If so, then why did they offer me a place on the course? Im so confused, and afraid of losing this opportunity. I don't have a degree, I dropped out when I was 19 and then went to FAS as I regretted losing out on my education terribly.

Heres a link;
    http://www.gcd.ie/index.jsp?1nID=106&2nID=116&nID=209&aID=219

It seems like a beginners course to me, why would you go do a BA then, do the same subjects over again?

I'm sorry if I've got it wrong, but I actually do not know and would be delighted if anyone could inform me of the meaning of LLB.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

not a PI
    moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I think there is a one year LLB course that is a conversion course for people with a degree into law. A friend of mine did something like that in UCC. your friend might be getting mixed up with that because based on course content the degree you've been offered above looks like a straight degree course. You will have to pay fees obviously for GCD but I'd say they're tax deductible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

It's a degree course, well done! How exciting for you! Once you complete this you can then go on and apply for your FE1s, once these have been awarded you can then become a solicitor. It will be hard work but well worth it! Well done.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Lilygilly

LLB is a bachelor of Laws degree!!! Congrats on getting it!! In Galway NUI, I know, this is offered as a post grad course and maybe this is why you were told that you had to hava a degree first. However you can also do it as an Undergrad course!! Best of lucl with it!! I actually did an LLB in Gaillimh after my Arts degree!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Shane80

Bravo . Griffith college LLB law course , you have chosen the correct programme Griffith college is the chief and one of the best appreciated colleges in Ireland , everything is ok , Notting to be nervous about …. You mite of be made aware of a LLM ….. it’s a masters in law . But a LLB is a bachelor of law . Did you do higher level history in school for the leaving cert it’s the equivalent you get a experience form your history form study to a great extent sum of pages lol . My brother done law in trinity best of luck anyway …. I hope you have friends who done it before …. He got a lot of help from dad !!! !!! He’s a solicitor (DAD) ….. (it’s a problematical course not for the unintelligent people ) If you have anymore enquiry please don't hesitate to send me a message

Dr. Shane Sinclare,
    BS.c psych, MS.c applied psych , D. Edu.psych

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭ladylorenzo

Miss Fluff wrote:
    It's a degree course, well done! How exciting for you! Once you complete this you can then go on and apply for your FE1s, once these have been awarded you can then become a solicitor. It will be hard work but well worth it! Well done.:)

That's fanatastic..well done. I've quoted what Miss Fluff wrote just to make you aware that you cont have to have an LLB to sit your FE1's. It means you dont have to sit the Preliminary exam in the Law Society if you do have a degree but from what I've heard, this exam is not that difficult. An alternative route to consider therefore, would be to sit the Preliminary exam and the do the 1 year Griffith course which is specifically designed for students sitting the FE1's (provided that is the route you want to pursue). The reason I'm saying this is because I did the LLB after my Arts degree and although its nice to have a few more letters after my name, I can honestly say that what I learned doing my LLB was not enough to get me through my FE1's..they are quite different and far tougher than the LLB exams.
    Anyway,as I said, It's just another option to consider. It all depends on where you want to go and how fast you want to get there!!
    You should be really proud of yourself. Good luck, LL ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 jayo245

Hi Mary,

I just saw your query about the course.
    I've just completed Year 1 of this course at GCD.
    You don't need to have done any other course beforehand. As you probably know the course can be completed part-time over 3 years to 5 years.
    The lecturers are brilliant. The college is really helpful.

I hope everything goes well. I felt a bit overwhelmed on the first day but that quickly passed. It really is a brilliant course and I can't recommend GCD enough. If you have any queries PM me.

Advertisement