Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Special Branch staring into car -Twice

Options
  • 29-05-2007 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine told me that an officer from the Garda Special Branch, was inspecting his car at 2 different times yesterday. On both occasions, he was staring in through the windows of the car. When my friend went to go out and see what was happening, the officer got back in his car and drove away.Any ideas on what they were doing?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DarkJager wrote:
    A friend of mine told me that an officer from the Garda Special Branch, was inspecting his car at 2 different times yesterday. On both occasions, he was staring in through the windows of the car. When my friend went to go out and see what was happening, the officer got back in his car and drove away.Any ideas on what they were doing?

How do you know it ws Special Branch?

Maybe they just liked the car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Surely the whole point about Special Branch is that they are not identifiable as being so. It may have just been a plain clothed policeman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Defo Special Branch, he can spot them a mile off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Someone report him? Bad neighbours? Does he own a gun?
    Any clear plastic bags full of white powder on the dash? Any history? (him not the car)

I could accept that someone would stop once if they were thinking of buying that type of car, but twice and he's got a bee in his bonnet about something.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DarkJager wrote:
    Defo Special Branch, he can spot them a mile off.

Was on of them wearing a special branch t-shirt or something?

How can you tell what one plains clothes garda does compared to another plain clothes garda?

• Advertisement

I don't know what he was wearing, I wasn't there. There's obviously something as regards the vehicle he was driving, that he knows they were special branch. Doesn't own a gun, does a few drugs but never ever carries them in his car. I should have mentioned the car is modified (spoilers, alloys, tinted windows, exhaust etc). Would they be checking anything related to these?-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

He could tell he was Special Branch by the sheepskin coat.

I should have mentioned the car is modified (spoilers, alloys, tinted windows, exhaust etc). Would they be checking anything related to these?-

Say no more, a lot of people driving a car with all that unnesecary crap on it are muppets, probably checking for lager cans, drugs, baseball caps etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

DarkJager wrote:
    I should have mentioned the car is modified (spoilers, alloys, tinted windows, exhaust etc). Would they be checking anything related to these?-

Maybe it was the taste police :D

Yeah guys, I didn't ask you to give your "expert" opinions on his car, I'm just looking for opinions on what might have been going on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

DarkJager wrote:
    Yeah guys, I didn't ask you to give your "expert" opinions on his car, I'm just looking for opinions on what might have been going on?

He's driving something modified in a manner that indicates the driver is probably a chav - what make/model is it, just to set the seal on it?

• Advertisement

Its a VW Polo, 00 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

maybe reports of a similiar car been used in some sort of illegal activity?

could be absolutely anything tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Your friend is obviously worried about something being (not) found.

My guess would be that that something is exactly what the special branch was looking for.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

If he dabbles in drugs a bit and he was a bit street wise he might consider getting a less memorable car. A grey corrola or something. I worked with a guy who was heavily involved in illegal drugs and he drove a very indescript car.

I was behind a car twice in a week. The only reason I know this is that it had a funny wing/spoiler and a weird exhaust. If it had been a normal car I would never had realised that I had been behind it twice in the one week.

Maybe your friends car had been spotted outside the wrong house. Easily remembered if its modified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I don't do drugs mmkay, but if anyone was looking into my car i'd be worried too, even more "if" it was Special Branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

If your mate is worried about attention, why is he driving a car like that?

As for someone looking into the car, could be absolutely anything. You might as well ask how long is a piece of string.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

furtzy wrote:
    Maybe it was the taste police :D

Nice! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,278 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Lots of plonkers think every detective is in the Branch.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

As soon as I looked at the thread title I knew this was going to be about some kind of Skanger Banger.... I can't understand why the cops don't stop all Cream Cracker Mobiles on site, search for drugs/baseball caps/tiesto CDs and then put them off the road for not having informed their insurance companies of the modifications they'de made.

On a seperate note I saw a prize Dib-Dab driving along in a Peugeot 205 with a big sticker on the windscreen saying "BagSic". I'd love to cut out and rearrange that sticker to a more apt moniker.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Glad to see open mindedness is alive and well on the board. I love it when the high horse brigade come out in force. They drive a 1.6 Toyota avensis, Wouldn't have the balls to buy an interesting car and come onto the boards giving out about speeding/gas guzzlers/other drivers/modified cars when they are small minded and don't have a clue. Go away and get a life. The man asked a question. Because his friend has a spoiler and alloys it makes him a menace to society now does it? I reckon ye shower are more dangerous, I'm surprized you can watch the road when driving ye are all so Pious. :mad: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I wish I had the balls to buy an interesting car. Like an Astra. And then polyfilla on a load of badly fitting plastic skirting and cover it with transfers from an Airfix kit. Maybe if I buy a Celtic Shirt and a burberry baseball cap I'll be able to 'man up' to that level :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

magpie wrote:
    On a seperate note I saw a prize Dib-Dab driving along in a Peugeot 205 with a big sticker on the windscreen saying "BagSic". I'd love to cut out and rearrange that sticker to a more apt moniker.....

You'd be missing a second S, a P and a T. Dunno what you would do with the spare B and G, tho' :D

Nice one, being a dick again I see. :rolleyes: What exactly do you drive? I like my car and I worked hard to buy it. I worked hard to put a few things on it that makes it more my car, that makes me enjoy owning it. You are clearly someone that just likes to come up with sterotypes. My car was modified with every mod thought out before hand. I'm not hurting anyone, why should I let you put down my hobby like this? Branding everyone that drives a done up car as a celtic jersey wearing scobie is small minded. You sir, are a tosser. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Firstly, a great deal is being surmised based on the description of the car. Being young and having (iyo) crap taste does not make you criminal.

OP, the only way your friend can be certain the are SB is if he knows them or has had dealings with them. So let's just say he suspects they are SB. They could have any of several reasons for looking into his car - suspicion being the chief one. Perhaps where it was parked? Maybe a similar car was used in some nefarious activity? Maybe the detective unit is considering a new range of undercover cars to fit in better with the local populace :D

If your mate has nothing to worry about...........

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Any chance of a piccie?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

magpie wrote:
    As soon as I looked at the thread title I knew this was going to be about some kind of Skanger Banger.... I can't understand why the cops don't stop all Cream Cracker Mobiles on site, search for drugs/baseball caps/tiesto CDs and then put them off the road for not having informed their insurance companies of the modifications they'de made.
    In fairness, what kind of middle-class one point six litre clerical staff Nazi bullsh1t is this? You need to learn to live and let live.

Anan1 wrote:
    In fairness, what kind of middle-class one point six litre clerical staff Nazi bullsh1t is this? You need to learn to live and let live.
    Well said! :) I'm waiting for the guys witty reply and comeback putting down all modified car owners as scumbags or some such nonsense. The guy obviously is very small minded. Leave him off.

what kind of middle-class one point six litre clerical staff Nazi bullsh1t is this?

I'm sorry, I don't speak your language. I'll try and respond in an approximation..

What kind of dole-scrounging 944cc spar-deli-counter working Sinn Fein bullsh1t are you spouting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Jibber

Garda special branch no longer exists. When it did they neither drove dissimilar vehicles nor wore dissimilar clothes to other plain clothes cops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Magpie; if that's you're regular quality of post, how have you not been barred long ago?

..and now, back to the OP...

OP; how can you friend "spot them (SBs) amile off"? I think he may be filling you with a lot of manure, or else has some strange notions. Unless, of course, he's doing something he shouldn't be. Personally, I find people who make statements like that are full of BS.

Out of curiosity, how old is your "friend" and how what dealings would he have had with the branch to make them so familiar to him? Or is it the special branch of an organisation other than An Garda Siochana he's been refering to and we've just assumed the worst?

Advertisement