Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Special Branch staring into car -Twice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

magpie wrote:
    I'm sorry, I don't speak your language. I'll try and respond in an approximation..

What kind of dole-scrounging 944cc spar-deli-counter working Sinn Fein bullsh1t are you spouting?
    A witty and insightful response from our friend. Perhaps you choose the name magpie due to the similar level of intelligence you share with the bird?:p If you want to continue the slagging match then keep it to PM, this is getting boring and taking the thread off topic.

O and where are you getting the idea we all like Sinn Fein and celtic? Get over it lad I want nothing to do with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

nipplenuts wrote:
    Firstly, a great deal is being surmised based on the description of the car. Being young and having (iyo) crap taste does not make you criminal.

Tell that to the Gardai as they give special preference to 'modified' cars being driven by young gentlemen such as have been earlier described in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

astraboy wrote:
    Nice one, being a dick again I see. :rolleyes: What exactly do you drive?
    astraboy wrote:
    Branding everyone that drives a done up car as a celtic jersey wearing scobie is small minded. You sir, are a tosser. :rolleyes:

Well, if that one was @ me, I drive that in silver:

000000000040902.jpg

The wet dream of such "celtic jersey wearing scobies" - a Scooby Impreza :D:p

And you Sir, need to take an aircraft carrier-sized chill pill ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,351 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

astraboy wrote:
    You sir, are a tosser. :rolleyes:

Follow your own advice:
    astraboy wrote:
    keep it to PM, this is getting boring and taking the thread off topic

Or you'll get a vacation from this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

magpie wrote:
    I'm sorry, I don't speak your language. I'll try and respond in an approximation..

What kind of dole-scrounging 944cc spar-deli-counter working Sinn Fein bullsh1t are you spouting?
    I'm going to make this really simple for you. We live in a country in which people have differing tastes in cars, clothes and music. I may not like whatever car you drive (and I have a feeling I wouldn't) but I wouldn't for a moment dispute your right to drive it. By the way, what car do you drive?

• Advertisement

ambro25 wrote:
    Well, if that one was @ me, I drive that in silver:

000000000040902.jpg

The wet dream of such "celtic jersey wearing scobies" - a Scooby Impreza :D:p

No dude, that was not aimed at you, it was aimed at magpie, I guess you posted while I was typing my reply, making it look like I was taking a dig at you, I was not.:o You obviously have good taste in cars too though!;) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

There is nothing illegal in modifying cars, although I can see why people would not not appreciate it.

But getting back to the original point, I reckon your friend is mistaken and should actually call the Gardai himself.

If a police officer believes, in the course of his duty, that there is evidence of illegal activity relating to a car, I don't think he would hightail it when the owner of the car comes out, especially if his suspicions were so aroused that he comes back for another look.

I suppose I would presume someone in a blue Camry 2.2 outside my house was special branch or at least a non run of the mill detective.

If your mate got the reg no, get him to call it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Glanza V

Yet again the open minded people of the motor section on boards. Keep it on topic or dont post.....simple.

by the way i think the cops had a tip off about that particular car, be it for dangerous driving etc. it could be anything really.

unkel wrote:
    Follow your own advice:

Or you'll get a vacation from this forum
    Ok, fair enough but the guy magpie was giving as much abuse as I was. I was only trying to explain my situation, hes the one that engaged in small minded retorts.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

ambro25 wrote:

I think that applies to a few guys on the thread :p

But back OT - my mate had a 1.6 Megane for a while then upgraded to a Evo 7 and he has got pulled 15 times in the last 9 months.
    The latest and greatest was when an undercover cop car followed him into his basement.
    He got out and asked them if they were ok, they replied "We had a report of a blue scooby being stolen in this area" which he replied to, while pointing at the back of his car "Can you not read!" :D

Mik

• Advertisement

15 times!:eek: I've only been pulled once in 3 years myself. Is it the same cops the whole time? Maybe they are just jealous and want a look at the EVO. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

magpie wrote:
    As soon as I looked at the thread title I knew this was going to be about some kind of Skanger Banger.... I can't understand why the cops don't stop all Cream Cracker Mobiles on site, search for drugs/baseball caps/tiesto CDs and then put them off the road for not having informed their insurance companies of the modifications they'de made.

*dreams wistfully of being a garda traffic cop*

eth0_ wrote:
    *dreams wistfully of being a garda traffic cop*
    :rolleyes: This is what we're dealing with here like. Shar why go out and hunt criminals when you can pull over young fellas with alloys and tiesto CD's. Way to make society a better place. :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

astraboy wrote:
    15 times!:eek: I've only been pulled once in 3 years myself. Is it the same cops the whole time? Maybe they are just jealous and want a look at the EVO. :D

Not always the same lads, in fairness sometimes they have a chat about the car, but more often than not it's to try to see something to do him for (IMO)

Mik

mik_da_man wrote:
    Not always the same lads, in fairness sometimes they have a chat about the car, but more often than not it's to try to see something to do him for (IMO)

Mik
    It probably comes down to typical Irish begrudgery at the end of the day. Owning a car like that means you have to have everything in order at all times, while a guy in a dirty, badly looked after standard car could get away with not having tax or NCT for a few weeks. I find most people with a standard of car as high as the evo 7 though look after them well. After spending 20 or 30 odd grand on a car and loads to run it they don't see the car as simply a means of getting from A to B.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

There is nothing illegal in modifying cars, although I can see why people would not not appreciate it.

I think you will find that nearly everything got to do with modifiying a call is an offence and therefor illegal.

From adding aftermarket spoilers to exhausts and tinted windows. They are all offences under The Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations.

"Boy Racers" piss alot of people off simply by just driving around. The noise pollution from aftermarket exhausts is the biggest annoyance.

Go into any district courtroom on any day of the week and you will see this years generation of boy racers being prosecuted for all their "add ons".

Chief--- wrote:
    I think you will find that nearly everything got to do with modifiying a call is an offence and therefor illegal.

From adding aftermarket spoilers to exhausts and tinted windows. They are all offences under The Road Traffic (Construction, Equipment and Use of Vehicles) Regulations.
    Any chance of a link to the relevant legislation? I was under the impression that aftermarket spoilers, exhausts, & tinted windows conforming to the relevant legislation can legally be fitted to a car.

Anan1 wrote:
    Any chance of a link to the relevant legislation? I was under the impression that aftermarket spoilers, exhausts, & tinted windows conforming to the relevant legislation can legally be fitted to a car.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1963/en/si/0190.html

I don't see anything there to justify your assertion. Is there perhaps a particular section that I missed?

Cheif, it usually comes down to the guard your dealing with, and alot of times the guys in court bought it on themselves by acting the clown, which I am not standing up for. However, there is no clear legislation regarding mods. My car has loads of mods yet passed the NCT 2 months ago(I did have to remove a sunstrip though). There is no legislation regarding tinted windows in this country, unlike the UK which have proper guidlines allowing people to tint to a certain level. If putting a bodykit on your car is illegal, then surely using non manufactuer bulbs, different tyres or wiper blades is illegal too!? Unfortunatley some of the young lads act the fool, but they would do so in a standard car too. Up before the judge it comes down to his descrection. I would just ask that people not tar everyone driving a modified car with the same brush, it seems I get in this argument weekly with somone off the site!:o

@Anan1, I think you wont find anything in there banning spoilers etc, like you said once they conform to relevant leglisation then they are legal.

• Advertisement

Trust me most of the mods are illegal.

Tinted windows for example are inessential stickers, same as a sun visor.

NCT does not mean your car is road legal. Especially if you have altered it from standard.

Chief--- wrote:
    No offence, but i'd rather see the legislation. I find it hard to imagine that main dealers are fitting illegal parts to brand new cars every day of the week.

Chief--- wrote:

NCT does not mean your car is road legal. Especially if you have altered it from standard.

Ok, so a bodykit, which I payed VAT on BTW, that is manufactured by a german company associated with opel, with an "E" mark, is illegaly fitted to my car? Or the alloys are illegal under the "I dont like the look of that" law is it? Or my sparco bucket seats, also with an E mark, are illegal. I suppose my CD player is illegal too. Damn, I better take my freshly NCT'd car off the road now!;)

I know NCT does not mean my car is road legal, but it proves my car has reached a preset number of conditions on safety and emissions. If my car is safe, whats the problem?

Also, I do think TECHNICALLY modified exhausts are illegal, but the law is very old and outdated and states no deciable limits. I'm sorry, but a sweeping statement like most modifications are illegal is just silly, you'll have to excuse me if I don't agree. In fact the guard that looked at my car for break in damage last week did not mention I was breaking so many laws. Must have slipped his mind.:rolleyes: :D

Chief, the link you posted was a set of guidelines sent out to the southern Guardi, it was supposed to be sent on the quiet I believe. It only mentions exhausts and tints anyway, its a set of guidelines and certainly not the law by any stretch. If your car has reasonable tints you will hardly be taken to court, how many SUV's have tints out of the factory?! That list of guidelines is also several years old. I think more modified cars on the roads mean we are accpeted more, or so I though until this thread.

Im sick of searching through the legislation.

Check the above link to racershaven.

Why do you think "Boy Racers" have such a gripe with the Gardai? because they are being prosecuted left right and centre.

Chief--- wrote:
    With the greatest of respect, I don't believe that the legislation you are searching for exists.

Chief--- wrote:

Because you cant prove what your saying is it?:D :rolleyes: I've yet to find the "boy racer act" 1999, sections on alloys, lowering springs and spoliers. Or the Idontlikethelookofthat law.
    Chief--- wrote:
    Check the above link to racershaven.

Why do you think "Boy Racers" have such a gripe with the Gardai? because they are being prosecuted left right and centre.
    I'm a member of Racershaven and there is a guard that often logs on to answer Q's. He has never said most mods are illegal. If they were, furry dice and baby seats and ipod hookups would be illegal too. "Boy racers" have a gripe with the cops as "Boy racers" like to mess and act irresponsiabily on the roads. I'm delighted they are being prosecuted. However, If you do not know the difference between a "boy racer" and a genuine entusiast that enjoys cars, and maybe modifying them then what are you doing moderating a car fourm?!:rolleyes:

astraboy wrote:
    Because you cant prove what your saying is it?:D :rolleyes: I've yet to find the "boy racer act" 1999, sections on alloys, lowering springs and spoliers. Or the Idontlikethelookofthat law.

I'm a member of Racershaven and there is a guard that often logs on to answer Q's. He has never said most mods are illegal. If they were, furry dice and baby seats and ipod hookups would be illegal too. "Boy racers" have a gripe with the cops as "Boy racers" like to mess and act irresponsiabily on the roads. I'm delighted they are being prosecuted. However, If you do not know the difference between a "boy racer" and a genuine entusiast that enjoys cars, and maybe modifying them then what are you doing moderating a car fourm?!:rolleyes:

well said lad, you are on your game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Anan1 wrote:
    With the greatest of respect, I don't believe that the legislation you are searching for exists.
    The existence of an E or CE mark does nothing more than signify that the item confirms with EU standards. Example, an air pistol (BB gun) will come with a CE mark, but if I'm stopped crossing the border with it, It's not suddenly legal cos it's got a euro standards mark.
    The legislation exists, and is quiet clear on the various areas where modding a car can breach them.
    Reading the statues provided by Chief, bodykits and lowered springs/shocks which reduce the ride height below a specific measurement, are illegal. Mod's which change the distance between brake and gas pedal are illegal if they reduce the gap too much.
    Exhausts which do not reduce the sound level of the exhaust gases to an acceptable reasonable level are also illegal unless on closed roads during trials/rally/races.
    Multi tone horns are illegal, unless on emergency service vehicle.
    Speakers capable of being heard outside of the vehicle are illegal unless the vehicle is a psv, used by an election staff at election time, so in theory massive subs etc setups are covered and are illegal if they can be heard clearly outside of the vehicle. May also come under distraction of driver sections on the RTA’s.
    MPV/SUV’s do come tinted, but not the front window, or the passenger and drivers windows, as this would be covered under blocking the drivers view of mirrors.
    Lowered seats, these can be covered under the sections relating the drivers view of the road ahead, and again, if in the view of the garda the driver doesn’t have sufficient forward visibility , it would be illegal.

Chief--- wrote:

no facts, no proof. keep your small minded thought to yourself please.

For the record;i have both rear tints on my 5 series and my Glanza. Bmw ones are standard, Glanza ones are not. Which are illegal??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Glanza V wrote:
    well said lad, you are on your game!!
    on the game more likely.

the inability to read simple legislation is too common among the "boy racer" fraternity.

Advertisement