Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Special Branch staring into car -Twice

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Glanza V wrote:
    no facts, no proof. keep your small minded thought to yourself please.

For the record;i have both rear tints on my 5 series and my Glanza. Bmw ones are standard, Glanza ones are not. Which are illegal??
    Neither.
    If they were on the front passenger or drivers windows, they could be deemed illegal if they restricted the view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Bogger77 wrote:
    on the game more likely.

the inability to read simple legislation is too common among the "boy racer" fraternity.
    Go easy, I'm getting VERY sick of this holier then thou attitude by all the boardies. Its a motors fourm, yet to be honest very few show any passion for cars.:rolleyes: So keep your simple small minded sterotypes to yourself. And yes certain mods are illegal, but saying "most modifications are illegal" is both silly and plain ignorant of both the law and car modifications in general. My car has many of the things you described, yet it confirms to all relevant legislation.

Now quit with the patronising tone, I'm well aware of the laws regarding my car and I keep to them. More importantly I also have a degree of common sense, ensuring I both try and constantly imporove my driving ability and also take excellent care of my car. I am not, for the last time, a "boy racer". I respect other road users and pay all my relevent road taxes, which gives me as much right to be on the road as all of ye. Though I'm not sure of the legallity of the high horses. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

astraboy wrote:
    Go easy, I'm getting VERY sick of this holier then thou attitude by all the boardies. Its a motors fourm, yet to be honest very few show any passion for cars.:rolleyes:

Yawn
    astraboy wrote:
    So keep your simple small minded stereotypes to yourself. And yes certain mods are illegal, but saying "most modifications are illegal" is both silly and plain ignorant of both the law and car modifications in general. My car has many of the things you described, yet it confirms to all relevant legislation.
    I know many 'boy racers", "car modifiers" and "car enthusiasts", and some are members of all 3 groups, but stereo types exists for "boy racers" which cause members of the other 2 groups problems. The image of the chav, wearing his Celtic top, driving a scooby with 6inch exhausts, means the car enthusiast driving a nice wrx version of the car will get unwanted attention. I’m a Celtic supporter, and feel uncomfortable wearing my jersey cos I feel people are putting me in the Chav category.

If only all car modifiers were like Chip Fooze on OverHaulin', we wouldn't be treated to the sights of 10yr old civic's with 6 foot long spoilers that would be out of place on a NASCAR car.
    I'm a fan of car mod's if done subtle, the el-cheapo diy carkit stuck on with epoxy doesn't trip my boat. Unfort, when I'm walking down Patrick’s street in Cork at night, the vast majority of the car's cruising round look extremely tacky to me.

Have I modded my car, sunroof and alloy's, that's it. I do over 20K miles a year on R class roads or less, so it's not worthwhile for me to have sports bodykit, I'd leave that behind on some boreen.
    astraboy wrote:
    I am not, for the last time, a "boy racer". I respect other road users and pay all my relevent road taxes, which gives me as much right to be on the road as all of ye.
    Payment of road tax does not give any right to drive on any road, but that's an aside. When we speak of "boy racers", I mean the chav's driving round and round the town center at night, with large bore exhausts, sitting with the drivers seat somewhere in the back of the car, and only top of the head visible over the wheel, this applies to both males and females. Outside of towns, you'll see them driving in convoys, passing dangerously, cleaning the bumpers of the car in front while tail gating. Most likely to be driving sub 1.6 engines, but sounding like they've got 6 litre Hemi's under the hood.
    if you're not one of those, and got a tastfully modified car, kewl.
    astraboy wrote:
    Though I'm not sure of the legallity of the high horses. :rolleyes:
    No heightism now, small horses and tall horses are still horses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Lads im not trying to start any rows here.

I simply pointed out the legislation as provided on the racershaven website.

Not going to get involved in the boy racer vs joyrider vs car enthuasiast battle. Its being going on for years.

Gardai will only really prosecute if the "driver" has alot of illegal mods, dangerous mods or is acting the prick.

Insecurely fitted bucket seats are very dangerous, cars lowered so that wheels cant turn full lock, cars lowered to such a level that they lose traction on bumpy corners. These are the mods that people are being prosecuted for and quite rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,999 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Have I stumbled into the Modified Forum? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭astraboy

Bogger77 wrote:
    Yawn

I know many 'boy racers", "car modifiers" and "car enthusiasts", and some are members of all 3 groups, but stereo types exists for "boy racers" which cause members of the other 2 groups problems. The image of the chav, wearing his Celtic top, driving a scooby with 6inch exhausts, means the car enthusiast driving a nice wrx version of the car will get unwanted attention. I’m a Celtic supporter, and feel uncomfortable wearing my jersey cos I feel people are putting me in the Chav category.

If only all car modifiers were like Chip Fooze on OverHaulin', we wouldn't be treated to the sights of 10yr old civic's with 6 foot long spoilers that would be out of place on a NASCAR car.
    I'm a fan of car mod's if done subtle, the el-cheapo diy carkit stuck on with epoxy doesn't trip my boat. Unfort, when I'm walking down Patrick’s street in Cork at night, the vast majority of the car's cruising round look extremely tacky to me.

Have I modded my car, sunroof and alloy's, that's it. I do over 20K miles a year on R class roads or less, so it's not worthwhile for me to have sports bodykit, I'd leave that behind on some boreen.

Payment of road tax does not give any right to drive on any road, but that's an aside. When we speak of "boy racers", I mean the chav's driving round and round the town center at night, with large bore exhausts, sitting with the drivers seat somewhere in the back of the car, and only top of the head visible over the wheel, this applies to both males and females. Outside of towns, you'll see them driving in convoys, passing dangerously, cleaning the bumpers of the car in front while tail gating. Most likely to be driving sub 1.6 engines, but sounding like they've got 6 litre Hemi's under the hood.
    if you're not one of those, and got a tastfully modified car, kewl.

No heightism now, small horses and tall horses are still horses.

All points well made. I have no problem with your attitude, the above shows a bit of common sense it just gets my back up when people tar all people with modified cars as boy races. I do drive a sub 1.6L car, but that is due to me building up a no claims(hopefull next car will have more power) and trying to keep down running costs while I get an edugmication!:D It is modified, but tastefully so(IMO).

I hate badly modified cars. As I said in another thread, some of them look ike they crashed into halfords and drove out with everything stuck on. Subtle mods, and mods that complement each other are what I like. Fast and the furious spoilers and scangers with baseball hats at 45 Degrees are a no no. I despise these chavs as they basically bring a bad name to a hobby I enjoy. These are the same people that show up at rallies and act the muppet, therefore putting a sport I love in jepordary. I have no time for these clowns, but likewise I don't have time for people passing a one size fits all judgement. Tacky mods are plentiful, but I find if you talk to the owners of the more tastefully modified cars you will see they are genuine and not out to cause trouble.

Incidentaly, I have owned my car for the last 3 years and never once(touch wood!) got abuse from a guard. I was pulled over once, but after talking to me for a few mins I was let go with a courteous good night. In my experience if you get hassel its because you act the muppet. I have enve had a guard complement me on the car and say I'm clearly an entusiast! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

I believe it's enough when even the manufacturer knows there's "an image problem".

Such as Subaru, for instance, which is now done with the standard NASA Shuttle-grade boot spoilers and Industrial Kitchen peeler-sized bonnet scoops on STi editions, for good.

You now (thankfully) can't tell an STi D-Spec from a WRX anymore on 2006/07 models. Yup, the 'D-spec' stands for... you guessed it.. Discreet ;)

So, hopefully in trend-setting form, Subaru tells it to aspiring car modders like it is: less is more :D

Advertisement