Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damaged mb?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hey Guys,

I just got my Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6 today but the thing is - it had a bit of damage to the box so already I was starting to worry. The silentpipe cooler 'hotel' does look seriously angled to my eye anyway and I'm not too sure whether it should be this angled, I thought I'd ask your opinion of it(hopefully someone else has this board).

Anyway, attached is a pic of it from the rear and another pic from the rear that I found online - is there a difference?

Do you think this would make any difference or should I just continue installation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 pgleeson

Although in this pic online - it looks tilted too.....I dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

I think thats normal two photos below also show the tower heatsink at an angle
    photo 1
    photo 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Yours does look a bit more severe then the other examples. I wouldnt be to worried. Unless you can physicially move it with your hand.

Thanks for the replies 8T8 and Anti. :D

No, can't move it with my hand anyway. I guess it's ok so. Not much room for an ultra 120 extreme though - looks like I gotta install it lengthways towards the ram...

Crap, at the same time as I posted here - I also asked gigabyte tech support about it and posted same pics.
    They just got back to me with this response:

Hi,

It should be straight as show on the website picture. Please return the board to the dealer for RMA. Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Although the pic they showed was the ariel view where you wouldn't notice much of a tilt at all.
    Here's a pic of it dead level so I guess mine is a bit more tilted than it should be.

Now I dunno what to do....boo hoo.

• Advertisement

If it was me I honestly don't think it's worth returning over that it's just some bent fins on an already overly elaborate heatsink setup that's more for show than actual effectiveness.

Their are P35 boards that come with come with only the bare minimum of cooling.

"...an already overly elaborate heatsink setup that's more for show than actual effectiveness." - I disagree, I think that the heatsinks serve their purpose quite well.

Here's an example doc that shows their efficiency.

I do agree with you that they are a bit overly elaborate but they do seem to do a good job.

I dunno that PDF looks like advertising stuff to me whoever cooked that up & I'm no huge fan of Asus in general. There is talk on a german site that test was cooked by Gigabyte to show it in the best light possible e.g they used a P4 840XE as the CPU.

I don't dispute it does work but it's a bit extravagant if you are just sticking a Core 2 in the system & a few bent fins are not going make that much of a difference either way.

Ich canst sprechen deutch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

personally I wouldn't bother sending it back. Try bending it back in place. You could remove the whole unit (i would to apply some AS5 anyway) then bend it then without any risk to the mobo itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

I think L31mr0d has a piont take it of the mobo and see can it be bent back while of the mobo and then use some AS5 and you'll end up with a better result than the original

Sure, thats a great idea. Just dont damage anything. Be very carefull.

Well, I do have some AS5 round here somewhere so we'll see....

Advertisement