Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

20 -25K to spend

Options
  • 29-05-2007 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I have between 20-25K to spend on a new or second hand car. Ideally if second hand i would like to have it no more than 2 years old.

What i have in my mind is a new megane or gold or 2 year old volvo S40

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The new Megane is horrible. Not sure what the volvo is like, I've heard they're good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭aido123

Stark wrote:
    The new Megane is horrible. Not sure what the volvo is like, I've heard they're good though.
    i currently have a megane- its ok a 03 model -similar however the new one is good value includes a range of extras as standard such as alloys leather seats etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

media?id=521177328

Should be able to get another 1500 sterling of the below plus vrt should bring this under budget. Only thing is you better take the long way home as you need to but another couple of thousand miles on it before you can vrt . If you check autotrader and the like there are plenty of other cars with 10000 miles so go for one of those to avoid any problems with vat/vrt on importing.

Only thing the s40 have a reputation for reliability so make sure you dont get a dog, bonus is you get an extra years warranty with volvo in the uk than in Ireland.

2006 06 Reg VOLVO S40 1.8 Sport
    4 Doors, Manual, Saloon, Petrol, 1,563 miles, Metallic Silver. Off Blacl dala sport trim winter pack, 18 inch Medusa Alloy Wheels, ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Central locking, Climate Control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head restraints, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Power assisted steering, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Side airbags, Radio/CD, Rear headrests, Traction control. Insurance Group:9, UK Cars. All Specificaions

Available. £14,290.
    Tel: 01422 361961
    Distance: 175 miles
    Price: £14,290

• Registered Users Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The pre-02 Megane was a lovely car actually, tidy, comfortable and responsive. The new one I've found is very bulky and sluggish.

Stark wrote:
    The pre-02 Megane was a lovely car actually, tidy, comfortable and responsive. The new one I've found is very bulky and sluggish.
    i agreee with the sluggish part - one of the reasons i am selling - the 1.4 is dead - would buy 1.6

• Advertisement

a friend of mine got a similar one from the UK last year and has warned me against it - he had huge issues with it`and swore he would never buy from the UK again - thanks though

yeah its strange the uk s40 are getting a bashing for reliability did your mate by a nearly new one or what and what problems did he have electrics???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

you can get a lot of car for 25k especially if you go older than 2 years, depends on what you are into and can get insured on.

a new shape golf gti can be hard for nearly that now

even one of those wonderful honda accord things everyone here loves can be had second hand i think

edit:

heres an accord, wouldnt be my cup of tea but what do i know:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=575901

Golf gti
    (cheaper ones come up from time to time)

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=606682

I am refering to Uk prices but if you check the discounters you can buy a new golf gti dsg with the extra bhp new for 18669 with metalic paint but if you look around autotrader you would be lucky to get a similar spec 2 year old car for under 15000. Whats that all about?

By the way you can get a brand new octavia vrs same engine as golf for £14689 new from uk web discounter . We get ripped off in this country for new cars.

tvr wrote:
    yeah its strange the uk s40 are getting a bashing for reliability did your mate by a nearly new one or what and what problems did he have electrics???

I can remember the specifics but he had 3 visits to the garage on a 2003 when the car was only 18 months - €4500 worth of parts and labour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€25k will buy you a wide range of very fine cars.

A Megane or S40 would not be at the top of my list. What attributes are you looking for?

Performance/economy/comfort/handling/equipment/safety/upmarket badge?

€25k will buy you a wide range of very fine cars.

A Megane or S40 would not be at the top of my list. What attributes are you looking for?

Performance/economy/comfort/handling/equipment/safety/upmarket badge?
    all of those :-D

I am not overly fussy - i think the newer the car the better - , 1.8 would be very max i would go for (insurance and tax reasons)

Ideally a new mid range car is probably what i am looking for. Nicely specked with comfort and reliable

aido123 wrote:
    all of those :-D

I am not overly fussy - i think the newer the car the better - , 1.8 would be very max i would go for (insurance and tax reasons)

Ideally a new mid range car is probably what i am looking for. Nicely specked with comfort and reliable

why newer the better? do you want a newer, less powerful, less comfortable, less economical, etc etc car?

Cyrus wrote:
    why newer the better? do you want a newer, less powerful, less comfortable, less economical, etc etc car?

I guess what i am trying to point out is that i dont want to go for a BMW 02 or something - i would rather buy a 06/07 car down the market.

I am open to most voices - there are a lot of cars out there for the price but i would like to get a good balance and if anyone else has been in the same situation i would like to hear from them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

This newer the better is another aspect of the modern "motorist" that bugs me a lot.....people dont seems to care what car they drive, how safe it is, how economical etc etc it is as long it has a nice 06/07 on it so that the jones next door will be impressed.

neacy69 wrote:
    This newer the better is another aspect of the modern "motorist" that bugs me a lot.....people dont seems to care what car they drive, how safe it is, how economical etc etc it is as long it has a nice 06/07 on it so that the jones next door will be impressed.
    if you must know the reason i want a newer car is so that i don't have the risk of bringing it to the garage - dont have to worry about NCT - i don't do a lot of driving - so i want minimal expense outside purchasing the car - i am not a car fanatic - i just want a clean car that causes me little cost outside fixed cost

your cynical comments are unwelcome - go have a rant elsewhere - start a new thread

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If you don't do too many miles a 1.6 might be a better option. Just a thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

new Kia Cee'd 1.4 with a 7 year warranty. Like this one
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=602420

Also I'd ask do you need space for kids etc. Do you drive mostly in urban or rural areas. Do you actually need a family sized car or would a smaller car like a Toyota Aygo suit.

It is perfectly understandable that you just want an everyday, new(ish) car.

aido123 wrote:
    if you must know the reason i want a newer car is so that i don't have the risk of bringing it to the garage - dont have to worry about NCT - i don't do a lot of driving - so i want minimal expense outside purchasing the car - i am not a car fanatic - i just want a clean car that causes me little cost outside fixed cost

your cynical comments are unwelcome - go have a rant elsewhere - start a new thread

woah easy there, the biggest expense in buying a car is depreciation which you are going to have a lot of no matter what you buy if its new or 1-2 years old. Also, new cars are just as likely to end up in a garage as older ones esp if its a new model, people are just trying to give you alternatives, if you dont want them thats cool, but do consider them :)

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    new Kia Cee'd 1.4 with a 7 year warranty. Like this one
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=602420

Also I'd ask do you need space for kids etc. Do you drive mostly in urban or rural areas. Do you actually need a family sized car or would a smaller car like a Toyota Aygo suit.

It is perfectly understandable that you just want an everyday, new(ish) car.

i live in dublin and drive to work (10 miles) dual carriageway - however every second weekend i travel to munster to the Aygo is a little small. Drove a small car before and on a wet dark winters night coming back to Dublin i feel safer in a larger car

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Wow, that Civic ES 1.8 is tempting me too :) 140bhp - similar power to my ould fella's old 2.0 E46 bimmer. I'm planning on changing my own car early next year and am currently trying to choose between 4-6 year old BMWs and 1-2 year old cars like the civic. I really like the styling of both :)

Advertisement