Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is this the end for cdwow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just read that alright, haven't ordered off them in ages though anyway since a) their prices are rarely competitive and b) their ordering system sucks, your order either doesn't show up or shows up at the wrong status.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

mcgovern wrote:
    Just read that alright, haven't ordered off them in ages though anyway since a) their prices are rarely competitive and b) their ordering system sucks, your order either doesn't show up or shows up at the wrong status.
    i agree, their prices for DVDs are not even competitive at all. I used to order a lot of dvds from them but they've pushed up the prices of dvds and i haven't ordered anything in 2 years. Even their promotional offers suck, i can get most stuff cheaper from sendit.com. Though i never used them for buying cds so maybe that is their strongest point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭billstraighten

I will never ever buy a cd from a bricks and mortar shop

for the simple reason that they are TOO dear

the recording industry ..need to cop on to that

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bloody record industry, next they'll go after play.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from Bargains, CD WOW haven't been right for a good while now. I stopped ordering a while ago like others. They have sales and other promotions which are laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mcgovern wrote:
    haven't ordered off them in ages though anyway since a) their prices are rarely competitive and b) their ordering system sucks, your order either doesn't show up or shows up at the wrong status.
    Same here, and when they started first I used to order a lot from them, but when IRMA went after them their prices shot up and then their customer service went to pot.

The last couple of times I used them I pre-ordered a new release and when it came to the release date I received an email saying that the item would not be in stock for another couple of weeks and then another mail with the same and so on....

Swore I'd never use them again.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Cabaal wrote:
    Bloody record industry, next they'll go after play.com

AFAIK Play only have UK and US sites and are based in the UK, so hopefully they will escape the wrath of the BPI.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

zaph wrote:
    AFAIK Play only have UK and US sites and are based in the UK, so hopefully they will escape the wrath of the BPI.
    Hasn't the Irish Taxman gone after Play though?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Play aren't based in the UK. They're in Jersey, and hence not in the EU. So, the y can be chased for tax and such.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Paulw wrote:
    Play aren't based in the UK. They're in Jersey, and hence not in the EU. So, the y can be chased for tax and such.

True, but I'm sure the music industry has enough money to lobby the EU to stop them selling to the EU or something crazy like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I have found that amazon is cheaper lately even with VAT and postage added on (and I never used them before but always cdwow and play)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Well In fairness I know a Rockstar who Had to settle for a 24 Carrat gold Swimming Pool because He Could not afford the Platnum.

This was directly attributed to loss of revenue from imported CD's

Think of the children

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I read on one site that cdwow are going to have to pay £4 for every cd they have sold over the past 3 years after the court judgement:eek: , that would wipe them out. Cdwow with cds for €11.99 is hardly dear and I always found them to be among for cds,dvd boxsets always way overpriced. Play and sendit and blahdvd will probably be next in the sights of the retailers as they are looking to get the €22 duty and vat exemption lowered.

egan007 wrote:
    Well In fairness I know a Rockstar who Had to settle for a 24 Carrat gold Swimming Pool because He Could not afford the Platnum.

This was directly attributed to loss of revenue from imported CD's

Think of the children

You think thats bad? I know a "hip-hop" artist who has to wait 6 months before he can buy his son an island in French Polynesia. Misses his birthday and everything.
    Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭undo

I ordered a couple of CDs from CD-WOW last Saturday and got this e-mail in return:
    Dear Customer,

Important Information
    =====================

We are currently undertaking certain changes here at CD WOW! and are unable to issue confirmation in respect of orders placed.

We expect to resume normal operations shortly.

That's the last I heard from them so far... the order has not been confirmed and does not show up on the status page. At least now I know *why* they are acting strangely.

I ordered a CD on Tuesday 22/5, and my Laser card was debited that day. I received an e-mail confirming the order, however when I checked the order status I get the following:

There have been no authorised orders attributed to you as a WOW! member.

I've e-mailed them, I'll let you guys know if I get anything worthwhile back from them, but for the moment I'd say steer clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I had the same, but when I checked the order number, it said the item was dispatched. So, it's due any day now.

Yeah, I just got en e-mail back from them telling me it would be dispatched within 24 hours and that I could track it using the order number. When I did that it says it's already on the way, but I wonder why it took them a week to get around to sending it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I had been having the same problem but someone here posted this link, it updates straight away

www.cdwow.net

its the only cdwow site that is updating, cdwow.ie hasnt updated my orders since last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Paulw wrote:

The reasons for going after play and the reasons for going after cdwow are different, I think. In Play's case they were using their tax free status in Jersey to sell cheap CDs/DVDs. I believe these CDs/DVDs were sourced from within the EU, so it was just a VAT issue.

Cdwow were/are selling CDs/DVDs sourced from Hong Kong, which is called paralell importing and is against EU law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I made two pre-release orders on CD WOW recently and I emailed them just to make sure that they'll still be honouring my purchases and they said that they're still in business. I'm sure with the appeal they're doing they'll still be offering low prices for a little while longer.

I thought it was a little patronising though when they said in their email, "The reason why you have yet to receive these titles (TITLE 1 and TITLE 2) from us is because it is a pre-release item and cannot be dispatched until the day of release which is DAY 1 & DAY 2." Yes I know that they haven't been released yet, I just wanted assurances that they would be sent when they are released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Many people will just be more inclined to copy a friends album to their mp3 player/pc. Down with paying for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Have 3 things currently ordered on cdwow. 2 separate orders.

The first order I made on the 27th has still not shipped so I emailed them about it and got the following response.

"Unfortunately, and due to circumstances beyond our control, we have been
    unable to ship any orders out from our warehouse for the last few days.

However I am happy to report that operations are now underway again, and we will be doing everything in our power to ship your order over
    the coming days."

That was on Friday, still no sign of it shipping.

The second order I made on the 30th and it was stated quite clearly when I ordered it that it would not ship for at least 7 days. So I won't be getting in contact over that one just yet.

Whatever happens I hope they honour my orders, after all they have already charged me!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just got this email from CD-Wow which probably explains the delays with orders

Dear Member

We would like to thank you warmly for your continued support after a difficult week. Sadly there was a serious fire above our warehouse last week. If you wish to read more please visit:

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/

e are pleased to say everything is now back up and running as usual.

So with you being a loyal member person, we want to reward thee with a cheer-worthy €2.00 voucher! Spend at your leisure as you save on Chart CDs, DVDs & Games

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

One of my items has now shipped. Thats a relief!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ordered on the 5th and got an email on the 6th saying they where dispatched.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement