Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need info - Dublin/Meath Clubs

• 29-05-2007 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

HI there!

I have recently returned form the UK and I am living in Stamullen near Balbriggan. I really want to get into the golf scene again after many years away from it, but I don't really have that much money to spend.

I would prefer to join a club so that I can be properly handicapped. I could manage a few grand for a joining fee and maybe 5 or 6 hundred a year after that. Does anyone know of anywhere in North Dublin/East Meath/East Louth where I could get a decent 7 day or 5 day membership at a club with a reasonable course???

Many thanks,

TMA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hollywood lakes :) join now and youll reep the rewards in a few years when you see it in the top 10 courses in ireland :D

plenty of courses out there id advise to go to some open weeks and have a pooch around see what you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Mister Sifter

How about Balbriggan itself?

Joining fee is currently E8,000, which may be paid over a three year period and the annual subscription is currently E901.50. The annual subscription may be paid on a monthly basis by direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

Thanks for the replies!

I had considered Balbriggan but I don't think I could really manage the 900 a year. I don't know how much their 5 day membership is??

Hollywood lakes are running a discounted 5 day membership at the moment which seems like very good value. 2,500 joining and then 460 a year after that. As I would anticipate managing something between 12 and 24 rounds a year, that would make it worthwhile, plus I would have all the added benefit of a club membership at what seems to be considered a very good course.

Of course, 5 day membership is handy for me personally as I work shift, but not many of my friends do!! Solo playing most likely! :(

Does 5 daymembership normally entitle you to any discount at weekends??

Just got some info back from Swrods Golf Club. Very cheap rates for membership although no availability until next year.

They play at Swords Open Golf Course. I am trying to get in touch with them again to see if their membership includes reduced rates at the course. Does anyone know???

Being a Pay and Play Public course, I wouldn't think it would.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭clg23

Bellewstown golf club is about 5 mins from stamullen and costs around 900 a year with no joining fee. Its a nice course and very handy for u living in stamullen

• Advertisement

Thanks clg23,

I kind of forgot about Bellewstown. It is quite nice for a new course, but at 900 euro a year I would need to be playing at least once every ten days or so for the whole year to make it worthwhile. Plus they don't have a putting green, clubhouse, etc. Although I know the clubhouse is nearly complete and perhaps a putting green/practice area is in the plans too. Also, they don't seem to be GUI affiliated, so no proper handicap either.

I'm kind of surprised too that as a member paying almost a grand a year, if you bring a guest they get just 5 euro off the price of a full round or 1 euro off nine holes!!

I don't mean to knock the place cos it is a great course and quite close, but seems a bit steep for what you're getting in return. Besides, it's still out of my price range... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Have you thought about Silloge Park? It would be similar to Swords Open in that it's a public, pay-and-play course. As far as I know they are open for membership at the moment. It's a nice course and tougher than Swords I would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭clg23

I totally agree about the discounts for guests I got cheaper membership though as a student. Clubhouse is now finished, and there seems to be a putting area taking shape and a driving range too so seems to be getting a bit better in that regard, i was unaware that they had no GUI affiliation... Does this mean that when im given a handicap it means feic all?

clg23,

I'm afraid it'll take someone else with a better understanding of the system than me to answer that question.

My understanding is that a non-GUI affiliated club handicap will not transfer to other clubs. So you would not be able to play in some open competitions elsewhere. I may be incorrect though. :confused:

I would expct that Bellewstown would be considering affiliation in the future though.

Incidentally, if you join a club and pay a large joining fee, like 3,000 or 8,000 or something like that, what happens if you subsequently leave the club in the short term? Do you lose the money? Do you get some of it back? Can you rejoin later on on the strength of what you paid previously?

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Generally you will loose it.

In some clubs the entrance fee is a share. But it will generally be a good bit higher.

By the way 3,000 is pittance!! And 8,000 isn't much either!!
    My annual levy is 1,900!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Oh and as for rejoining later, some club will allow you to suspend your annual levy for a while. So you wouldn't really leave, but you wouldn't have to pay the annual levy every year....

Thanks OCH!

I'm starting to realise that 3,000 or 8,000 really is very little by comparison. It's just that I am finding it hard to budget for that much at the mo.

Hollywood Lakes are asking 2,500 joining fee (down from 5,000) and a total of 585 a year (GUI and new clubhouse levies included) for 5 day membership. Also, 5,500 (down from 8,000) and 974 a year for full. Work due to commence shortly on new clubhouse, putting green and chipping green.

I know I can't manage the full rates just yet, but also considering whether 5 day membership will give me what I want. I'M CONFUSED!! :confused:

The sales pitch is working though. I'm inclined to sit it out this year and see how much golf I actually play. But then I'd miss the chance to get a 5 grand membership half price!

AGGHHH!!!!!!!:confused::confused:

Just found this........

http://www.golfeurope.com/clubs/hollywood_lakes/index.htm

While there are some very nice reviews there, surely I didn't miss the driving range that is listed as one of the facilities!! Is this a typo?? Or do they actually have a driving range hidden in one of the trees??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

if thats the price they are offering take the full membership, even if you dont play weekends, in time you might, and it will definatly be up. When the new clubhouse and facilities arrive the joining fee will be much higher, make an investment for the future mate, trust me.

Well, I think from all the suggestions here, I will definitely be going with Hollywood Lakes.

That's one mental hurdle jumped. On to the next one! - 5 day or full??

DOC, I must say I agree with you with regards the prices being very low and they will definitely increase significantly in the future. But, my big problem is that if I have my way, I'll be doing my job till I retire, cos I love it! It will always be shift and always on a variable roster, which will likely leave me with no more than 8 or 9 weekends off a year, although many weekends I will finish work by mid afternoon. Full membership would therefore be costing me twice the joining fee and 66% more annual subs for the ability to use the course about 15% more often. Factor in poor weather and other domestic responsibilities ( :p ) and it will probably mean that I will only get 10 or 12 extra days a year for my extra money.

It's a tough one to call!

All the same, at least I know have my heart set on a club!

Thanks everyone!

Advertisement