Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thumped in face by schoolgirl! Need to know which school uniform was from.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I can't see any school Principal allowing anyone into a classroom to identify a student.

Also I doubt they would be willing to let anyone view photographic records (if they have them) of their students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Sorry to hear that happened to you Jen. I hope you make a speedy recovery.

Hopefully the school will make a big thing of this. We know how it works, the culprit will be "ratted on" eventually. Everyone in the school will know about it and everyone will know who did it. The name will seep back to the staff and she will be interogated.

Keep us posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭boffin

Well i heard of a situation recently where two girls ditched school, hopped on a train from dublin to limerick and went around shopplifting for the day. They were in their school uniforms which was quite distinct and the guards contacted the school and got their names. Similiar situation when I was in school - a few girls got caught shoplifting by their uniforms - again the school was contacted and they identified the girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

boffin wrote:
    Well i heard of a situation recently where two girls ditched school, hopped on a train from dublin to limerick and went around shopplifting for the day. They were in their school uniforms which was quite distinct and the guards contacted the school and got their names. Similiar situation when I was in school - a few girls got caught shoplifting by their uniforms - again the school was contacted and they identified the girls.
    My school was a big rugby school and one day on fourth year there was some match on where half of my year decided to get drunk before going to the match. I never bothered going to the matches, instead preferring to spend my half day productively (read: watching TV).

They duly lost the match, at which point about 30 people decided to go on a little rampage through Ranelagh, walking over cars, lying down in the middle of the street, and stealing a whole pile of stuff from the Spar. Needless to say, the black, white and purple jerseys and scarves quite obviously gave them all away as Terenure college, and most of the perpetrators were caught without a sweat from the Gardai when they arrived down to the school the next day.

Teenagers are idiots.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

tbh wrote:
    I've seen this happen more than once.

i have seen this happen in my school years ago, some one was messing on the bus and princopal brought the complaining passengers around to indentify the people. fair play to you for persuing this, but i want to know did no-body help you stop her, i am sure the luas was packed????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Not many beige jumper uniforms so I'd say pop on bebo and sign up as a student then go through the junior cert year pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

It's great that you are following through and getting back at this idiot. Let us know what is happening. Were there any other witnesses at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If caught. whats the most that can happen?
    Sounds like she's the type that has a number of cases against her already.
    Sorry to hear about whats happened to you, but my fear is that this kind of unrespectful and 'thug' will just not get any (or near the degree of) punishment she deserves. And probably knowing that, that's why she hit you and will continue to do so to others...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Did you think about waiting at the same Luas stop at the same time this incident happened. Then you can get a look at these girls getting off, even if the girl who thumped you isn't there you could get the name of the school from girls who wear the same uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

Bring someone with you if you want & let us know how you get on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭boardsdotie

Any update, I would love to know what happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Sounds like the op was a victim of happy slapping tbh.

If you find the girl it might be an idea to check her phone and her friends phones for a video. Had a bloke try to do it to me coming out of xtra vision one day but I seen his mate getting the video phone ready and the other fella had his bike right beside the door for a quick get away so as I was walking out I was able to grab him and throw him to the floor as he made his move for me. Gave the camera a wave as I walked off. I doubt the young one would risk throwing a dig at the OP for no reason unless she was getting some serious "street cred" out of it by starring in her own happy slap video.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Marathon Man

DonJose wrote:
    Did you think about waiting at the same Luas stop at the same time this incident happened. Then you can get a look at these girls getting off, even if the girl who thumped you isn't there you could get the name of the school from girls who wear the same uniform.

Brilliant suggestion. Most people have set routines and this can be a major weakness. In this case by simply waiting at the luas stop at the same time (maybe even exactly a week to the day after the incident) there is a high probability you will see this individual.
    My advice: bring a younger relative around the same age as this girl who attacked you and..........
    You get the idea. Well hopefully. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭katiemac

Did nobody on the LUAS or standing near that lady when she was attacked by that little ignorant bitch do anything?
    It amazes me how the public tend to look the other way when some innocent person standing close-by is being attacked.
    I remember two guys punching another guy near a shopping centre in Blanchardstown. People just walked by and did nothing. My Dad went over and seperated them and held the two blackguards until the gardai arrived.
    They were arrested, charged and received community sentences.
    Surely, there are witnesses to that cowardly attack on that hapless lady who would come forward if they read about it in the newspapers or saw an account of what happened on Crimeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

katiemac wrote: »
    Surely, there are witnesses to that cowardly attack on that hapless lady who would come forward if they read about it in the newspapers or saw an account of what happened on Crimeline?

Tonight on Crimeline, a person got a slap at a Luas stop in the city centre. Call our incident room now if you have any information. Sounds great, but there's a lot more serious stuff than that taking up resources I'm afraid.

Want to clean up public transport? Take away free travel passes for alcos and junkies, and have more Luas security guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Irish culture. Lovely isn't it. :(

I'm in Asia at the moment and such a thing would be practically unheard of (in Korea). They have enormous respect for elders drilled into them.

Kids here are NOT allowed to call their parents by their names, ever. You call your father "Father", your mother "Mother". You call your older brother "Older brother", you call your older sister "Older sister", you even call your younger siblings "younger sister/brother".

The whole language has a special ending for verbs for younger people then you, older and another for extremely polite (very old, high bosses etc).

They call their teachers "their-name teacher". Everyone you don't know who is older then you is a "Sir" (although it doesn't mean Sir in our sense, its just a polite way to refer to someone you don't know).

Its not just kids either, its everyone, the whole culture. One of the very first things they find out when they meet you is your age so they know how to talk to you (which verb ending).

Ok some people might think thats a bit crazy, I personally think its absolutely fantastic.

Heres another example, say your dating a girl here and you meet the parents. You call her da "girls name's father" and if he meets your da thats how he talks to him too "your name's father".

They have manners and the west don't. Did we ever have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

monosharp wrote: »
    Irish culture. Lovely isn't it. :(

I'm in Asia at the moment and such a thing would be practically unheard of (in Korea). They have enormous respect for elders drilled into them.

Kids here are NOT allowed to call their parents by their names, ever. You call your father "Father", your mother "Mother". You call your older brother "Older brother", you call your older sister "Older sister", you even call your younger siblings "younger sister/brother".

The whole language has a special ending for verbs for younger people then you, older and another for extremely polite (very old, high bosses etc).

They call their teachers "their-name teacher". Everyone you don't know who is older then you is a "Sir" (although it doesn't mean Sir in our sense, its just a polite way to refer to someone you don't know).

Its not just kids either, its everyone, the whole culture. One of the very first things they find out when they meet you is your age so they know how to talk to you (which verb ending).

Ok some people might think thats a bit crazy, I personally think its absolutely fantastic.

Heres another example, say your dating a girl here and you meet the parents. You call her da "girls name's father" and if he meets your da thats how he talks to him too "your name's father".

They have manners and the west don't. Did we ever have ?

It is sometimes easy to confuse language with manners. I'm not saying that they have respect for elders, but alot of what they say is just down to language.

To think of a closer to home (top of the head) example.
    If you refered to somebody in the street as "Hey Lady". It sounds quite common, and rude. But thats exactly what the french say, Madame means Lady. Strangely, Madame is used here (from the french) and it sounds much more polite.
    Swedish naming convention might be a better example. Boys are refered to as [Fathers name's]son, ie Magnusson, Larrsson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Like was said in a previous post, if she was in school this week,when schools are off, then shes most likely Junior Cert.
    She was probably in for a revision class or something similar and so that would narrow down the lis tof possible students.

If you know which school and get into contact with them they'll probably have a fair idea of who it could be. If she's done it to a stranger she's probably done it to a fellow student in a classroom and so the principal/teachers know of her tendencies.

Again as was said above you could wait outside the school on Monday/Tuesday morning when the first exam begins and see if you can recognise her.

Goodluck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Damn,did I just read 3 pages for nothing,what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

it's 18 months old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

The posts relating to the original assault date back to last Summer. It would be interesting to know what has happened since. Did the guards track down the culprit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

"joolsveer
    The posts relating to the original assault date back to last Summer."

Doh!

My posting is void so.

Im guessing nothing happened otherwise she would have reposted saying she'd gotton the biatch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Mellor wrote: »
    It is sometimes easy to confuse language with manners. I'm not saying that they have respect for elders, but alot of what they say is just down to language.

To think of a closer to home (top of the head) example.
    If you refered to somebody in the street as "Hey Lady". It sounds quite common, and rude. But thats exactly what the french say, Madame means Lady. Strangely, Madame is used here (from the french) and it sounds much more polite.
    Swedish naming convention might be a better example. Boys are refered to as [Fathers name's]son, ie Magnusson, Larrsson

Hey man I know what your saying but I mustn't have explained this right.

Ok for example .....

I have a good friend here who was extremely shocked at my suggestion of "what would your father do if you called him his name ?"

Its nowhere near just language here, but I think the fact they have 3-4 different verb endings depending on the respect people deserve says something.

Example, eating/drinking manners. -> the oldest always starts first. You never pour your own drink (when its alcohol or tea). When your pouring a drink for someone older your supposed to use both hands (left hand tucked under your right) and when you are drinking you always look away from the eldest. Obviously its not really as strict as this in company you know and are familiar with but i've seen it at its strictest.

Another example is the bowing. I barely noticed it at first but you bow more the older the person is. e.g > My boss gets a 2 second drop of the head. I've seen my friend when she meets her grandparents, she nearly hits the ground and on special occasions she has to hit the ground literally. (On knees and forehead touching dirt!)

Basically there are things you do and things you don't do and they are drilled into them as kids. The eating manners thing I spoke about is not really practised strictly any more except for special occasions etc but when kids are young and growing up in the house it is strictly enforced so the kids know how its done.

Ok another language example.

U can say Anyeong to say hello when the person is a very very close friend and pretty much the same age or younger. You can't do it to someone older.

Its not just language here.

Oh another example, I'm teaching english and the kids here bow to me :D

teacher = respectful position
    man = respectful position
    older = respectful position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Children in this country have terrible manners and I don't think it's anything to do with their language, it's the way they're raised.

I travel a lot and have lived in a few different countries and I have never seen young people so badly behaved.

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I travel a lot and have lived in a few different countries and I have never seen young people so badly behaved.

You obviously missed out on London, Glasgow, Liverpool... Actually all of England, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Reims, All of Russia, Most of America, All of Brazil and South America.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

these little scumbags make adults look at all teenagers like we're about to stab them

we're not all bad, honest..
    what a horrible thing to happen, I hope that dirtbag was brought to justice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

lightening wrote: »
    You obviously missed out on London, Glasgow, Liverpool... Actually all of England, Port Elizabeth, Durban, Reims, All of Russia, Most of America, All of Brazil and South America.

Actually, I have spent significant lengths of time in several of those places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

lightening wrote: »

english children are worse than irish alright but outside of that i would disagree with this post

utick wrote: »
    english children are worse than irish alright but outside of that i would disagree with this post

I have been to all of these places, believe me, our kids are not that bad at all. Still terrible what happened to the PO, bloody frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Jen199

Hi - I'm the person this happened to. I just wanted to give an update on the outcome.

I contacted the school and explained what had happened. They were not co-operative at all. To the extent of denying that it was possible that it was one of their children as the years that wear that uniform were doing exams that day.

I contacted the police who told me that there has been a huge increase in this type of activity, and they had numerous complaints from people in the same area about things like this. They were very helpful and brought me in to review footage they had obtained from the luas that day.

We found the footage, but as it was at the door, the assault itself wasn't visable on the footage. However they contacted the school and gave details of it. They came back and assured me that the school had given her a warning, and that her parents were informed but I received no apology either from the girl herself or the school. As the assault wasn't clear on the footage, there wasn't enough evidence to press charges so that was the end of it.

So while I was very disappointed with the school, and their reaction to it, I was very impressed with the police and how they were very proactive about it. As you know, I had just had some wisdom teeth removed a few days previous and this ripped the stitches. My mouth took a lot longer to heal and it caused a lot more discomfort than it should have. You hear about these things happening, but to happen in the middle of the day in such a public place was what surprised me.

In hind sight, when I consider the amount of people who seen what happened, I find it quite telling of how Irish society that not one person offered to help, or even asked how I was, despite the fact that I had blood coming from my mouth.

Ah well..

Advertisement