Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Gear Slippage Problem, Help?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi,
    I own a pretty old Claud Butler bike that’s seen a lot of wear and tear, but it’s still deadly. I’ve recently taken to commuting (80-100 miles/week) and have just recently noticed that the gears seem to “slip”.
    It only happens when I’m in top gear and pedalling hard. I suspect that the biggest gear at the pedals (sorry, not too sure of the terminology) has a few worn teeth, and so it would loose its grip on the chain, especially when putting some effort into it.
    Does this sound right?
    Is there something else I should be look out for?

If it is what I think it is, how much could I expect to pay to get it sorted out? Does it need replacing, or is there some other more cost effective method? Could I replace it myself?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

could be the chain is stretched also. If replacing the chain, you should also consider replacing the cassette. It's easy to do yourself as long as you get parts which are compatible with your bike and with each other.

You might also need to replace your chain rings (the set of rings at the front near your pedal).

You can buy replacement parts on www.chainreactioncyles.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Membrane

Start with the simple things, first check your chain for seized links (rotate the pedals backwards by hand, watch for links that won't flex), if there are any, work them loose and lubricate the chain.

If that isn't it then your chain and/or your cassette has/have worn out. No point in figuring out if it's either or both as they should always be replaced together.

It is very rare for the chain rings to wear out enough to warrant replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

Cheers guys. I looked for seized links, there were none.

I did oil it up, and it’s running well again. I think I got paranoid when I saw some serious wear on the chain ring, caused, no doubt by years of poor gear shifting practices. But regular lubeing should keep that in check.
    Though, I can’t figure out how oiling them (which would make them slippy) actually somehow improves their grip on the chain. The mysteries of the bicycle! :)

Really I was thinking of replacing the chain rings with something bigger, But I think it might be too big a job for me at the moment.
    Anyway, cheers for the info, it spurred me on to look at all sorts of bike related stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

have a read of this...
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

It talks about chain maintenance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭DITTKD

Spent most of Wednesday looking at that actually:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement