Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which TDI to get?

Options
  • 29-05-2007 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Ok i have approx 13750 to buy a car with and it has to be diesel

These are the 3 options currently on the table

02 audi tdi 130bhp 80000 mile

03 passat tdi 130bhp 72000 miles

05 skoda tdi (dont know bhp think it's 110) 60000 miles

Opinions feedback or alternatives very welcome please

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭football man

skoda

it has the least miles.
    is the newest year and the build quality is just as good as the overpriced vw, audi cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

audi has to be
    lovely cars
    better finish than the passat and looks much nicer
    either way the 130BHP is the much better engine so its between the passat and the audi
    only reason for buying the skoda is if you want to buy a nice 05 numberplate cos it has nothing else going for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

octavia or the passat type one?
    110 might be a bit heavy in that body, give it a drive and if you like it go for that one. I agree with football man's quality comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

yeah i must drive the other 2 took the audi out today and it was a stunning car it has to be said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

How about a SAAB 9-3 2.2 TID?

125bhp, best looking design of them all IMHO. You could import a new model 03 reg Arc from the UK ( fully loaded with leather, cruise, climate, xenons, etc ) for under 13k after VRT.

It's just my extremely biased opinion, but I find that they're less ubiquitous than the A4 and Passat (every fecker has one on the other of those now:D ) and cheaper to boot. Only downside is that it'll be an extra 200 quid odd a year to tax owing to the greater capacity of the engine, but when you recline in your nice comfy leather seat and switch on the 6CD changer you won't mind.

I find the interior of the A4 and Passat sombre and boring and the seats too hard. The base models are also poorly specced in comparison with the SAAB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Well skyhighflyer thanks for really messing my mind. Just to put it in simple terms do uyou reckon i'd have the above car for 13grand VAT INCL? the package certainly sounds very appealing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Yep. ;)

5,995 STG is the asking price for the one I posted (2003 ARC), therefore the target price for no trade in and cash would be 5,500 STG. There are a few others on autotrader with under 80k miles and a full SAAB history around that price.

£5500 = Eur 8084 at today's rate according to www.xe.com

The revenue's online VRT calculator gives the following:

STATISTICAL CODE: 40688752
    MAKE: SAAB
    MODEL: 9-3. 2.2
    VERSION: TID ARC 04DR / SALOON / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    MILEAGE: 70000 MILES

RATE OF TAX: 30.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €5081

So, Eur 5081 + 8080 = Eur 13,161. Put aside a couple of hundred for a full AA check and HPI and you're laughing.

The real beauty is you could probably use the car for a year and sell it for what you paid as well. :D Given similar ones on carzone are going for between 15 and 17 grand :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

If you have the time , test drive all 3. Everyone will have different options(sometime biased).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Go with the A4.It's a cracking engine with loads of torque.I know the same engine is in the passat also.The Audi looks wise is the better of the 3.I am currently driving one for a couple of years now and I love it.If possible try and source a UK model yourself from a main dealer.The spec is far better than what you get here.Go for the SE or Sport model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

I think I'd go with Skyhighflyer on this one. The Saab is way above the other rep-mobiles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think I'd go with Skyhighflyer on this one. The Saab is way above the other rep-mobiles.

Interesting, the Saab 9-3 is also heavily based on another rep mobile, the Opel Vectra.

Also the 2.2 Genera Motors diesel in the SAAB is not know to be a great engine. If we were talking about the 9-3 with the newer Fiat Multijet 1.9 diesel engine then I would opt for that one.

Back to the original question, of the ones you mentioned I would go for the Skoda Superb 130bhp TDi with the highest spec available. Alot of car for the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

of the cars listed (including the SAAB) I'd pick the A4. then the Superb, Then the Passat, SAAB would be last on the list,

Advertisement