Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help me! new school

Options
  • 29-05-2007 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi! I am moving to Ireland (Dublin, Tallaght) and I cant find a no-catholic high school (and without this terrible uniforms:D). does anybody know where I could find one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

The Institutue or Ashfield

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

None of the Community Colleges are Catholic owned. They are owned by the Vocational Education Committees. Most of them have uniforms though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ag66

can you give me names secondary school like that (no uniforms:D )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Anything that contains either 'Pobalscoil' or 'Community School/College'. Where are you moving from?
    I think you'll find most scholls here have uniforms, unless you want to pay for The Institute of Education, Leeson Street.

and how much I have to pay for school like that??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

for the institute, a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

ag66 wrote:
    and how much I have to pay for school like that??

im not syre but i think its about 6000 euro a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Any school owned by a VEC is non-denominational and will take anyone in, reagrdless of religious beliefs. Unfortunately, you'd be short to find a school in Ireland that didn't have uniforms, unless you go to a grind school for the exam year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If you are Protestant, there's a few schools you can go to in Dublin.
    My school didn't have uniforms in 5th or 6th year and wasn't a grind school. (Private though)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Almost all secondary schools are non-denominational now...

Institute and Ashfield are both €6000 a year. Uniforms in my school aren't too shabby now...it depends..

Private schools..Loretos etc..they still have nuns about the place. head for one that says 'Community school' or 'Pobalscoil'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is no charge for tuition in Community Schools.

There may be a registration fee which covers things like insurance, photocopying, materials, books (where there is a book rental scheme) etc.

If you are intending to enrol for next September you have left it very late. Many schools do not take last minute entries, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Since you are in Tallaght, you are only a few minutes away from St. Mac Daras C.C. in Templeogue which is part of the vec and has always done well on league tables if that makes any effect on you. There are a few schools around with a non religious or non catholic ethos.

The High School near Rathfarnham is non catholic ( Church of Ireland i think) but is fee paying i think

Stratford College which i think is near Rathgar was set up for Jewish students but its pretty open i believe regarding religions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Just a question, what did you expect when coming here? A non catholic school, and without uniforms, you'll be eaten alive here! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I presume they're American(since they said "high school"). Over there a "Catholic School" and uniforms aren't the norm. In fact, only private schools wear uniforms and all Catholic schools are private.

OP, accept the fact that you'll have to wear a uniform, very few schools don't, and most likely the school will have a Catholic(or Christian at least) ethos. But the religion is rarely pushed on students and most secondary schools don't even teach the religion of their ethos properly, so I wouldn't worry about going to a "Catholic school".

Im polish (and here is just like in USA:D )
    I heard something about greenhills college. anybody knows anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Never heard of it before ag, but here it is:

www.greenhills-college.com

Yea school is quite different here- no pledge of alliegence, just republican (Irish) propaganda now etc etc...

Advertisement